Agnostic.com

6 4

Culture war issues

What issues do you think are culture war issues in America today?

Lorajay 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those who think it's okay to smoke in the presence of others, versus those who understand that non-smokers can become ill when exposed to secondhand smoke.

I think the worst one is the far right evangeloons and their desire to keep old America around. Systemic racism, continual infiltration of the government by evangelical extremists while more and more of us are a totally different culture that is becoming less religious and less intolerant. That's the culture war.

This religious stupidity with the right and far right.

What Obama once correctly identified as "guns, God, and gays" has shifted a bit to the wedge issues being "guns, God, transgenders, and 'illegals'." It might just prove effective come the midterms. The 'illegals' fearmongering is partially the rationale for the draconian voter suppression efforts in multiple states. And since the GQP and Trumpanistas are still stinging from what they consider a stolen election, this will likely resonate. There's a God/transgender amalgamation with the right as well. While many on the left want a blanket acceptance of any and every stance with regard to transgender issues, I feel in many cases TERFs are being unfairly demonized. The issues of transgenders in sports and the medical alterations of children (through drugs or surgery) are not as black and white (at least not with the electorate) as some try to make it out to be. In the voting both, people push back when they feel they're being bullied. The Dems may once again position themselves to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Biden is doing some good things, but he's still a thoroughly mediocre centrist Dem. And I still feel his cognitive decline will become more readily apparent over time. They already keep him on a short leash as was done with Alzheimer’s Reagan.

Good point about the right-wing feeling the sting.
I do believe that the right will be back strong at the midterms.
I am a gun guy, and an atheist.
which creates an uncomfortable need for coalition with the religious right.
Both groups depend on the Bill of Rights. As I found out recently no right is absolute.
This of course scares all of us. The right generally believes in personal responsibility and personal freedom. which leads me to the question would a child seeking to change their sex also enjoy personal freedom? or do we prevent children from making life-changing choices?
Clearly a 16 year old girl can have an abortion, she has to wait till she's 21 to take her clothes off in public, or buy a beer.
moral integrity requires consistency and I don't see consistency on either the right or the left.

War solves nothing. Do anything you want, as long as it does not harm anyone.

Make this your mantra ... You do you, I do me and let's strive to do or cause no harm.

@jlynn37
Like that, agree

Re phrase the question please

twill Level 7 Apr 14, 2021

I wish I could talk more clearly because it was a text post. It would also be nice if I was a more careful editor. I changed the post and thank you for your comment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.