Agnostic.com

9 7

The Biggest Problem with Middle-Aged Dating? Living in the Past.

In 2020, I met a guy who ranted about his ex-wife. I suggested we meet for a walk in Riverfront Park. He complained about his ex during our walk and dinner at a restaurant.

"Clearly you're not over your wife because you can't stop talking about her," I said. "No, I'm over her!" he protested and launched into another story about how she screwed him over.

"Have you heard me say anything negative about my ex-husband?" I asked. "No," he replied. Case closed.

By Debbie Wise

When I started dating at fifty after losing my husband, my biggest surprise was that everyone was disillusioned. Most of the men I met weren’t expecting much beyond an empathy machine. One long single guy opened our date with, “I realized I so excited to meet you because you haven’t been divorced so you’re not broken like the rest of us.”

Um, no, I was widowed and in my own kind of fresh hell. But I wasn’t yet disillusioned. I’d had a long marriage to a good man to whom I’d still be married if he hadn’t died. I assumed the men I met were like me, perhaps sad and lonely, looking for love, hopeful they would find a good woman.

But they weren’t.

They acted as if they already knew nothing was going to work out. They were entrenched in their pasts and had little to offer except weariness. Most implied I was going to have to change to suit them. No making the extra effort to come to my suburban town. They didn’t even seem to want sex so much as they demanded I listen to their woes.

We’ll better appreciate the chance for in person connections. Maybe with more time alone we can try to heal the wounds of disillusionment.

Re-emerging from our homes will bring with it a sense of newness. We might even find love. At least, we’ll be kinder to each other since we’re all coming from a place of shared vulnerability.

Having become aware of our mortality, we might at least do better at limiting our time with the toxically jaded:

Thanks, I’m leaving now. No, I don’t want to hear about the fifth woman who trashed your faith in love.

Okay, gotta go. It’s been over an hour. I know all about your ex-wife’s spending habits, but you haven’t asked me one question about myself.

No, I don’t want to come over tonight. I just met you. That’s creepy.

If someone is spending your time explaining how he’s pissed off or devastated by other women, he’s probably not really with you. You deserve someone who’s present. And who loves this life. As we’re all learning, it’s more finite than we thought.

[psiloveyou.xyz]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure it's limited to middle-aged dating anybody of any age who has lost in a relationship carries scars. It' just that we old farts have so many more of them. But keep them to themselves and use them to weed out any possible repetitions.

Yikes.....

I'm fortunate that I've been able to screen out the bitter-about-the-ex types. I find that if they have that characteristic, there are other things as well (maturity, intellect level) that I can pick up on. Not to say they always had good things to say about their ex's, but not bitter, dwelling in the past, etc.

You raise an interesting larger issue, that of living in the past. Sadly, this applies to many and becomes more prevalent as we age. It's fine to honor one's past and build on it, but not at the expense of being actively engaged in the present, always longing for the good-old-days that weren't. This stuck-in-the-past mindset is surprisingly not restricted to older people like me. (I am 66)

Good luck in your search. You only need one. He'll be lucky, but needs to be special.

Sometimes, women tell me about the horrible men they've been hooked up with. And sometimes, I think they're telling me these things because I'm different. Why else would they feel comfortable with doing that?

Well, I don't know why they tell me about the other men, because they don't think I'm different. I'm their convenient pin cushion.

Good one LiterateHiker...

@seattlepanda

Thank you.

OMG, this reminded me of one date I had many years ago, hadn't thought about that in years. Recently divorced, all he talked about was his divorce and all the difficulties and crap. I could not get him off that subject. That date was at a Red Lobster. I never saw him again, and I have been back to that Red Lobster but it has been a few years.

I’ve only had that once, usually it’s a guy just looking to get laid

Always a problem

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 18, 2021

It happens a lot, I don't believe it's everyone. But it happens way more than I ever could have believed.

I know those things happen. Thankfully it’s not all of us of any gender.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.