Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK Letters From An American 04/28/2021

Earlier today, in anticipation of tonight’s address to Congress, President Joe Biden met with news anchors. The president told them that his many meetings with foreign leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping, have convinced him that the story of this moment is whether democracy can survive the challenges of the twenty-first century. As things speed up, is it possible, he asked, to achieve the consensus necessary for democracy in time to compete with autocracy?

He told the anchors that “they’re going to write about this point in history.”

Biden nailed it. The struggle to preserve democracy is precisely what the story of this moment is—although it started long ago in the U.S., at least—and historians are already writing about it that way.

In the United States, the move toward oligarchy had been underway for decades. First, Movement Conservatives, who wanted to destroy the liberal state President Franklin Delano Roosevelt created, increasingly grabbed power through voter suppression, gerrymandering, filling the courts with originalist judges, focusing on the idea of the so-called “unitary executive,” and propaganda. Once they controlled the Republican Party, their techniques left it open to a leader like Trump to gather power to himself alone. Their admiration for oligarchy left them open to autocracy.

April 28, 2021
Heather Cox Richardson
Apr 29

Comment
Earlier today, in anticipation of tonight’s address to Congress, President Joe Biden met with news anchors. The president told them that his many meetings with foreign leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping, have convinced him that the story of this moment is whether democracy can survive the challenges of the twenty-first century. As things speed up, is it possible, he asked, to achieve the consensus necessary for democracy in time to compete with autocracy?

He told the anchors that “they’re going to write about this point in history.”

Biden nailed it. The struggle to preserve democracy is precisely what the story of this moment is—although it started long ago in the U.S., at least—and historians are already writing about it that way.

In the United States, the move toward oligarchy had been underway for decades. First, Movement Conservatives, who wanted to destroy the liberal state President Franklin Delano Roosevelt created, increasingly grabbed power through voter suppression, gerrymandering, filling the courts with originalist judges, focusing on the idea of the so-called “unitary executive,” and propaganda. Once they controlled the Republican Party, their techniques left it open to a leader like Trump to gather power to himself alone. Their admiration for oligarchy left them open to autocracy.

And now the Republican Party appears to have embraced Trump over any principles the party once held. Its leaders support the Big Lie that Trump won the election and are exercising their control of certain state legislatures to cement their power in enough states to control the federal government. They are passing laws to restrict voting and outlaw protesting; at the same time they have given up on policy and are relying on such blatant propaganda that just yesterday a writer for the pro-Trump New York Post felt obliged to quit after writing a completely fabricated story.

Biden is calling this move to autocracy like it is, and making a bid to shift the course of the nation.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is time for bold action.

Why was the letter printed twice? FDR was a Democrat, not a Republican as the letter seems to hint, and instituted many policies need to help the country get out of the depression (CCC, WPA, Farm Security program and the Social Security program. These were not exactly anti-liberal moves. [en.wikipedia.org]
Also, there emerged a world war and ones policies must firstly deal with the dire situations at hand.
Historians have rated FDR as the #3 best president.

Looks like my cut and paste wasn't as clean as it usually is. For the best viewing click the link.

@HippieChick58 Still, FDR is painted as a Republican. It makes no sense. The problem I see is the difficulty of governing 341 million very many of whom do not share our culture or language. Some time ago the "Atlantic" had a story on how the job of presidency was simply too much for one person and more filling key roles are needed. One question I have is could the US remain a democracy if it had the population of China? China is about the same size as the US and to quadruple our population would make today's world look like child's play. India is supposedly the world's largest democracy but who of us would want to live like they do?
BTW, there's a new series on PBS: "Philly D.A." It gives some hope, at least for that city.

One of her best Letter's to date. Personally I never tire of her trying to point out the importance of the ideology shift the parties performed/perpetrated on the American people.
While many know this occurred really understanding the shifts within each party - the Movement Conservatives within the GOP for example - require us to really pay attention.
Similarly the neo liberals that have worked at undermining the Democrats, the far extremes in both parties are dangerous.

I became a political activist and in four years met a lot of good people. In the political parties I met the thugs.

Though I prefer Democratic corruption to Republican corruption, I will remain alert.

Joe Biden did a great job. Tim Scott is a fraud, just like every other Republican.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.