Agnostic.com

16 15

Is there truly any difference between a "cult" and a "religion".
Personally, I would call all religious groupings cults.
Catholic cult, Sephardic cult, Evangelic cult, Sunni Cult, etc.

Petter 9 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The difference is that in a cult there's a leadership who know that everything they tell the followers is a cynical lie designed to control and exploit the believers. Whereas in a religion those people are dead.

So you could define religions as dead cults? 🤣🤣
..... or even cults of the dead?
.... as in, perhaps, brain dead. 🤣

Personally I think all religiouns have some cultish aspects to them. Generally, the more they keep to themselves avoidign outside influences the more cultish they are.

I'd say the least cultish sect are the Unitarians.

The most cultish sects end in mass suicide or some other form of death. Jonestown or Hail Bob woudl be some examples. If the leader of a cult dies then heshe was greatly mentally disturbed as well. I think many just run off with the money though after all their followers die.

Only a few recognized religions go to cult mind control technique of the banishment of those who leave the group Jehovah's Witness, Scientology and whatever it is that Amish practice.

Not really. Both religion and cult have the same basic characteristics.

Both are controlling.

Both are based on bullshit.

Both claim virtue while wallowing in foulness.

Both exploit the gullible.

It really is a struggle to find a characteristic that either one has that the other cannot have, which could be used to differentiate between the two.

Here is mine. "A religion is a cult that has managed to get itself political power." Even if that is only in the default sense that political figures have to show it some slight respect.

I'm not saying that traditional religions are not cults, but in modern times the term cult seems to describe religious views created and espoused by a living human claiming to be a god.

For example the Crestone Colorado Cult "Love Has Won" who tried to relocate to Kauai, last summer, but the "Mother God Amy" was claiming she was the incarnation of the Hawaiian Goddess Pele, which got the native Hawaiians pretty angry, and there were protests day and night outside the cult's rental house, and they decided to leave for their own safety. So, they returned to Colorado, and apparently the "Mother God Amy" has been found dead today in the cult's headquarters in a trailer park. It seems she died several weeks ago, possibly in Oregon, and her followers brought her dead body back to Colorado. Several cult members are in custody for possibly desecrating her decomposing body. The cult members, without their "Mother God" seem to be in a bit of confusion, without communication from their leader.

We've been following the news here on Kauai because we are just so glad they didn't complete their relocation to our island. Crazy stuff - mostly just selling remote surgeries and mineral supplements, etc. Seemed to be a religion for having power over people and making money to buy the "Mother God" her liquor and phone games. The tenets didn't seem to be making the world better, just left a bunch of brainwashed sleep deprived people who have been lost to their families since joining the cult. This doesn't happen to such a degree in mainstream religion.

[gurumag.com]

[ca.finance.yahoo.com]

A religion is a cult that has managed to get itself political power.

Like many words in the English language, they seem to be on a spectrum unless someone puts numbers to them for some reason, such as @LenHazell53, (see below). I think that at the difference is relative depending on your surroundings. So if you are surrounded by Xtians then Xtianity might be regarded as a religion. But if you live in an country where Nones are in the majority, then all else seems cultish. At least, that's my impression.

Evabody speaks in tongues iow, although this is maybe somewhat hard to extract from the text

fwiw "cult" did not become a slur until quite recently, i guess; comesfrom the same root as "culture."
And you better believe atheism is also often a cult belief!

My OED defines atheism as being without a god. As a second definition it states that an atheist is someone who believes there is no god, Or words to that effect. As i put myself in the first classification, belief and religion don't come into it

@bbyrd009
Atheism is a non-belief of any religion or gods. How is this regarded as a cult in your view?

@Paul_Clamberer we tend to put ourselves in the classification that most appeals to us, I think? If we have become sensitized to the term “believe,” we might eschew the second definition, certainly, but what will that matter if there turns out to be some as yet undefined—and probably more likely never will be, even if real in some sense—Creator-Type Consciousness? Because in the same way that a “believer” cannot prove the reality of a God, an “unbeliever” must admit that they cannot prove the opposite; what they then can only have is by definition a belief, right?
@TimeOutForMe

And i would say that Atheism is a cult simply because it is a culture, Abraham came from a cult, the oaks of mamre, same root, so I’m not using “cult” in the contemporary definition
Jesus praised pagans and atheists the most, and had nothing but diss for the “believers” anyway, but my guess is that one might be more or less involved/committed to their cult, basically on a bell-curve?

So I guess certainly some atheists would actually hold no beliefs, with the caveat that those who claim to have “beliefs” usually mean “absolute truths, in my esteemed estimation, that you can only and must agree to” right? so that again highly prejudices the term, and if it is those kind of beliefs that are being rejected I’m down.

But i still suspect it is naive to claim (you) “have no beliefs,” although imo that would be awesome, and quite likely even a um biblical mandate believe it or not,
test everything, and keep what is good
he who says he knows anything, doesn’t

etc

Anyway, you both would surely admit to some/many fellow “atheists” that hold different bel... “views” from yours, yes? Some atheists definitely have a strong “belief” that there is no God, i think it would be fair to say

Plus i mean cmon you “believe” you are either pretty or plain, smart or dumb, right, and these beliefs either do or do not line up precisely with the truth...which might be different in a different location or time...yikes, a book

@bbyrd009
The only thing Atheists have in common is a non-belief of any god or gods. Atheists have their own flexibilities in their everyday life which can hardly be called a unified cult. Earth has yet to present a god or gods in the billions of years in its existence? nah don't think so.
Why do Atheists have to be sure of a god or gods to prove there isn't any just because others believe there is based on fear and follow processes. I raised my kids without any following of gods and sorts. That's hardly a cult.

A cult usually has a leader, a set of beliefs and practices and follow the dictates of a leader. Atheism is not a cult and has no leader.

" And you better believe atheism is also often a cult belief!" A fine example of a prescriptive command which may be uttered by the likes of a benevolent dictator.

@ASTRALMAX You really are confused. Consider this. Driving a Ford, a Fiat, or any brand of car makes you a motorist. Driving a motorbike makes you a lesser category of motorist (you still use a motor and wheels, which you personally control, in order to get about. As you can see, by defining each vehicle as distinct, there are many categories of motorist.
Now consider someone living in a remote jungle, which has no roads. By no means could that person fall into any category or classification of motorist. The person is not a motorist.
Now apply that to a person who does not have any belief in what is called "the supernatural", be it a god or an invisible "life force".
That person belongs to NO CATEGORY of religion or cult. Such people simply have no belief. They are called "atheists" to distinguish them from the gullible.

@Petter No confusion here but methinks you need to pay attention to what you read.

@TimeOutForMe “ there is based on fear and follow processes. I raised my kids without any following of gods and sorts. That's hardly a cult”

Well as i said, under the current definition of that, I agree, but it is prolly a “culture,” yeh?

“ The only thing Atheists have in common is a non-belief of any god or gods.”

Ok well you sound pretty sure? And i don’t know myself, but the language/syntax there strikes me as gratuitous, ok; great lengths are now being gone to to avoid using the word “believe” imo, when “i believe there is no God” might be more accurate, and less self-serving?

@ASTRALMAX " ‘And you better believe atheism is also often a cult belief!’ A fine example of a prescriptive command which may be uttered by the likes of a benevolent dictator.”

this, from the guy insisting “ Atheism is not a cult and has no leader” in his previous post? Ok, but i will stick with “atheism is often a cult” for now if you don’t mind, since we might only differ on some term or other, or semantics, who knows. I have examples btw that you might even agree with

@Petter I would agree that that sure might be true, but often is not true, also

@bbyrd009
"Well as i said, under the current definition of that, I agree, but it is prolly a “culture,” yeh?"

No not a culture, just a non-belief with everyone unto their own, no rule book.

@TimeOutForMe ok, works for me, but again you do seem very sure, and I would again suggest that we like to fool ourselves the most? But my guess is that we are just defining “culture” diff now prolly

@bbyrd009 hmm Atheism is not defined as a culture, not even a different culture. Each one (atheist) to his own. I'm sure of that. I have likes and dislikes like anyone else. I have my own set of values, preferences and non-references not related to a "culture-type" following, just have a non-belief in gods of any sort.

@TimeOutForMe well ok, but I suggest that you might be avoiding “I believe there is no God” for a reason, although of course idk

@bbyrd009 huh 🤔🙄🤐
Seems I'm not getting my point across🤦♀️ or you don't seem to want to acknowledge it🤔
...so TimeOutForMe

All cults.
Always have been, always will be.
It doesn't matter how long they've been around, or how mainstream they've become.

Sorry but I do not give a flying fuck regarding what you or anyone else want to call the largest heap of crap and bullshit humans have made up due to abject ignorance.

I agree. They’re all cults led by an enigmatic leader, large and small.
When lacking charisma, an extraordinary hat is adorned.

Mvtt Level 7 Apr 30, 2021

Interesting... I like playing with words, so I Googled Cult vs Religion and found this: [penntoday.upenn.edu]. Cult is a term that doesn’t refer to religion at all, but is applied to a social movement. People have intuitive feelings about how the word cult should be used, even when an organization or movement meets the criteria of a new religion. Take, for example, Scientology and Mormonism. Both were new religious movements that have evolved into a general understanding or definition of a religion. However, according to Pew Research, non-Mormons in the U.S. are more likely to label Mormonism as a cult.

However, aren't all religions, in themselves, Social Movements"?

@Petter The article does go on to discuss that. Yes is the short answer.

@Petter isn't atheism, of itself, a social movement?

@bbyrd009 No, it is not. It is merely a refusal to be gullible enough to believe in spirits and deities. Atheists do not have to attend any form of "assertive" gathering in order to remain indoctrinated.

@Petter ok, ty

“there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion”
[en.wikipedia.org]

skado Level 9 Apr 30, 2021

Only difference is how much money they have...

Yes, they're all cults, and calling them cults is being kind.

A Billion People talking with god is a major religion
Ten Million People talking with god is a religion
A Million people talking with god is a minor religion
Ten thousand people talking with god is a religious movement
One thousand people talking with god is a cult
One Hundred people talking with god is a sect
Ten people talking with god is a prayer meeting
One person talking with god is a paranoid schizophrenic

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:593212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.