Agnostic.com

59 5

Thoughts on people who claim not to be religious but still believe in Jesus/god/sin/heaven etc?

Met a few people who say this and I know there are different schools of thought on this topic. Thoughts? Can you believe and not be 'religious'?

loloworonuk 3 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dated a woman who called herself Christian, but never went to church. She felt she had read the Bible and in her mind, understood the message much better than any of the preachers and biblical historians and others who have studied it for centuries before. So she did not participate in religion as such, while still believing the tenets.

It's like xmas and Santa Claus Ishtar bunny xians.....fun to give presents BUT NOT EAT CANDY EGGS laid on dogshit lawns by boy bunnies.....same with astrology....cocktail party Atheists want their gawdless cake and pretend they are going to heaven with Capricorn jeebush geehobah ghostholes....Woody Allen said : " gawd, ? I am the loyal opposition" and " gawd, he is an under achiever "

A lot of people are believers but don't go to church or practice religious customs .

There are lots of non-denominational Christians out there. A lot of them perhaps, have had unpleasant experiences with the traditional churches?

I believe that I am no longer religious. I take nothing in the bible book as real.

As we are not born religious-we are taught the precepts.
And like a journey, one isn't there in 1 step. Individuals
are all differently affected to different depths/the same with
free thought. First you loose the building(affirmation of beliefs); then you clarify some facts - one way or the other.
People should NOT fear knowledge, so by learning about
religion and over time getting more understanding of how it
effected ourselves,we remove it's impact. I didn't have a choice in my early years- when I did ,I acted upon it.
And I still am.,,,good post
Thanks

Either way they are crazy as cut snakes.

Where exactly are you finding these extremely weird/confused people?

I guess it depends on how one defines the word religious. In the strict dictionary definition, no. Maybe they mean they believe, but don't subscribe to any organized religion? A modern version of Deism?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.