Agnostic.com

11 6

LINK Atheist perspective: Becoming atheist does not mean you have to change everything about you – Lauren Ell Talk

"Needless to say, becoming atheist does not mean you have to suddenly change everything about you, whether it’s your personality, appearance, or views on certain issues. You can still be who you are, and embrace the traditions and heritage you grew up with."

repubatheists 7 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was never a devout theist and lost all respect for “faith” when I was in early grade school after figuring out many of their “faith” claims contradicted with reality. Over the years though, I have become increasingly aware of the damage faith (belief as facts things that are not supported by evidence) is to our civilization. As a result of this sad (but enlightening) realization. My outlook and who I am has changed as I am no longer tolerant of any faith claim asserted as fact as I have learned to value truth as a paramount dictate of a healthy understanding of reality. This leaves me very disillusioned with our current political plutocracy.

Absolutely!

Hi, and thank you for sharing this.

My late partner's daughter once told her "mom, you have changed and I don't recognize you" (since she got out of a debilitationg marriage and moved to the NW). her answer was: "No I have not changed because I finally get to be who I really am". That is my answer as well except I get to be who I really was underneath but never really recognized it.

I do have a problem with the link as it seems this person may be an atheist but she doesn't seem like much of a humanist. Her take on guns is typical conservative and Christian.

If you look at her other posts she is recruiting Republican atheists nationwide here. Please give your feedback o n L7U Jack. Thanx.

@sassygirl3869 Why is that a problem? There is a political forum on this website, as well as political oriented groups like 'Gun Control Now,' 'Trump pinata,' etc.

@repubatheists First off I owe you an apology. When I first made my comment I failed to note I was commenting to the person who made the posting. When I realized this I removed some of my comment. Unfortunately, I had left a part and, later, realized I was being tactless. I am sorry for this. I should have done better.

Now on to your question. Yes I have a problem with this philosophy. As I have said the first group I joined was the Brights. We would have monthly meetings at a coffee shop. A number of people, we discovered, were very conservative, which was a mystery. One suggested we read this fabulous novel “Atlas Shrugged”. It was the longest, most boring and ideologically unrealistic book I have ever read. To these people Ayn Rand (a Russian) was a saint and the devils were Rachel Carson and the environmental movement (to them DDT should never have been banned). The fact that they support guns and are in bed with a group that seeks to force a brand of religion on everyone, to me, says a lot for their sense of responsibility and decency. I recently spent several hours with a good friend. We got to talking about politics and I mentioned Libertarianism and she laughed. Her son, a 40+ year old who was kicked out by his former lawyer girlfriend who supported him, is a dedicated Libertarian. He has been living with his mother the last several years (and he has no real job).

Yes we have groups but sometimes a posting arises that can touch on an issue from one of those groups. Should we not be allowed to comment because it is an 'out of group' issue?

The problem is that people....in their induced ignorance....believe every stupid thing their pastor / priest / deacon tells them....Why they tell them these things? Because they are very scared of the rise and spreading of Atheism; they see their "golden hen" flying away from their pockets.

Not really sure one just becomes a non believer. It is more like maturing into a healthier state of mind.

Well, every meaningful change in your life does not have to traumatic or in a rush. Suddenly you find yourself saying things you did not think before and willing to try others you never imagine. That is called transformation and growth. Cheers!

I'm still in a similar leaning but have changed it somewhat since dropping religion. If anything I'm more of a critical thinker than I ever was when I was religious. But yet many things did not change.

Becoming A-theist simply means that you now reject the belief in the existance of god(s), nothing more and you can (and most likely will) remain the person you always have been. It will surely make a difference in how you view the world and reality, IMHO.

Great I'll stay a liberal political and social advocate fighting hate, anti-immigration and this crooked Republican Congress. Can't wait till November-we will vote them all out. Impeachment is coming.

Or you are now free to reject the traditions you were brought up with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.