Agnostic.com

12 3

Has your interest in religion increased or decreased after leaving your religion? Why?

When you are religious, you might spend a couple hours per week learning about your religion. This could happen at home, in school or at religious institutions (church, mosque, etc.). Some of the learning is voluntary, while the other learning is demanded from you by the people in your life (parents, teachers, pastor, imam, etc.).

Questions:

1. How interested were you in the religion when you were practicing it?
  2. How comprehensive was your knowledge of the religion?
  3. Were there things you never knew about the religion when you were religious?
  4. After leaving your religion, were you still interested in the study of religion or were you completely done with it?
  5. What keeps you motivated to learn more about religion after no longer believing it?
  6. Do you think your interest in religion has increased or decreased over time?
  7. How many hours do you now spend learning about religion compared to then?

I would love to hear your experiences.

Momen 5 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have to be honest here. The indoctrination still runs deep with me. I probrably study more now than when I was a Christian. I still want to make sure I made the right choice to leave and need proof that I did. It’s hold on me gets less and less everyday but it’s hard to wipe away all the 45 years of indoctrination in a short period of time. However the more I study the Bible and it’s history the more I realize I made right choice

I was raised by a religious maniac, so when I had doubts I first turned to study to find what I was missing, then researched different religions to see if I was in the right one and then wondered if there was something wrong with me.
Taking to "wise" and "Holy" men only proved to me that they knew less about the subject than I did and that the standard answer to questions to which they had no answer was "stop asking questions."
When I eventually realised it was all a pile of old cobblers that I could never believe without deactivating my brain, all I felt was relief.
Now I still study religion in order to combat the lies put about by the churches and religious institutions.

1. Somewhat interested, but only because I attended a private Christian school til 8th grade and we had chapel every Wednesday and bible study every day.

2. Due to #1, my knowledge of that bibble was extensive. Plus, my mom got me a really lovely children's bibble with very pretty and colorful pictures. I liked that bibble, even as I suspected the material inside was ridiculous.

3. The main aspect I wasn't really cognizant of was the treatment of women. I was a kid, not a woman and it's interesting to me now how I distanced myself from the mantle of womanhood because I knew being a woman in the bibble sucked. But I still prayed....

4. Religions fascinate me. Ancient civilisations and the creation of societies fascinate me. The origins, the hows and whys. It also infuriates and repells me.

5. People. And why they do what they do.

6. About the same maybe but for different reasons, mainly politics. Super infuriated over the continuous religious push.

7. Maybe the same, just focused differently in order to promote social awareness and change.

1. Not at all
  2. Non existent
  3. Yes, but I was never religious
  4. Not until a few years ago
  5. I think I know enough
    6.I'm not sure if "interest" is the right word.
    7None, and none.
    A good knowledge of the bible is necessary to counter the bullshit spouted by Christians.

I pay no mind to any of it anymore. It’s like a comic book…….images of superhero’s in capes ready to save the world from imagined “evils”.

Everyone has learned the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy doesn’t exist.

1 not very
2 fair but only christianity at first
3 all the harm they cause
4 spent some time searching like most. Found WICCA and Buddhism most palatable
5 only interested in minimizing the harm and influence of it.
6 about the same
7 <1 / month

Decreased. Because being raised religious was enough of my time wasted on religion. I don't wan tto waste time on that nonsense anymore.

Decreased. I rarely think about it anymore.

I would say my interest in religion has increased today. When I was religious I made up excuses for everyone who believed similar to me. Today I think, OMG, all these people are batshit crazy.

1. Never was religious and was raised in a largely secular household.
  2. First encountered religion at school, and gained a good knowledge of Christianity there, but no other religion. ( UK schools are often Christian. )
  3. Not really applicable, but I have learned more over the years.
  4. Still study it a bit, because I am interested in everything.
  5. The Christian schooling I was given, made me realize just what a threat to every value I hold good religion was, and the sense of pity for all those people still trapped by those darker aspects of human culture, motivates me perhaps even more than the need I have to defend the things, like the environment, science, human rights, reason, etc., which I do value.
  6. Faded a little since I know enough for my needs to combat it, and a lot of it is dull.
  7. Very few.
  1. Very interested.
  2. More comprehensive than the average person.
  3. I was not totally aware of all aspects of every religion I practiced.
  4. I was pretty much done with it. I had spent too much time already on religion.
  5. Curiosity.
  6. Decreased
  7. 0 hours
  1. Only slightly interested in religion
  2. My knowledge of religion was woeful
  3. I never knew about religious traditions outside Christianity
  4. I am more interested in the study of religion
  5. I am keen to trounce religious nutcases with their own absurdities
  6. My interest in religion has grown
  7. Perhaps one hour month

I am motivated by the harm done me by God Mobsters when I was a child, and I see no reason to permit today's God Mobsters to do the same to today's children.

This right here:
"I am motivated by the harm done me by God Mobsters when I was a child, and I see no reason to permit today's God Mobsters to do the same to today's children."
💚

@Freespirit64 Thank you. You picking that out means a lot to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:593292
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.