Agnostic.com

9 17

The case of the extravagantly fraying material.

"Isn't this fabric beautiful, Mom?" Claire asked in the store. I agreed. Anything for my girl. But after getting it home, the fabric unraveled wildly. Pinking shears were no match. Kept a roller lint brush handy and closed off every ragged edge with glee.

Have been sewing curtains for Claire's guest bedroom. Got one curtain done. Almost finished with the second one. Made it up as I went. I love sewing because it's a great problem-solving exercise.

To develop the drape, I always use directional sewing. On the curtains, I sewed from the center out to the sides. Started at the top and stitched down to the hem.

The curtain relaxed overnight. It's hung on a yardstick. Hanging in the window, they will continue developing a beautiful drape. Will finish the second curtain today.

I will iron the curtains before giving them to Claire.

LiterateHiker 9 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It sounds like you've been on quite the sewing adventure with those curtains for Claire's guest bedroom. Kudos to you for tackling the challenge and problem-solving along the way!
Even though the fabric may have frayed, I must say the color still looks pretty good. If you're planning to hang the curtains, you might want to consider finding a suitable wall paint that complements the color nicely. It's interesting how people usually choose paint first and then match the fabric, but doing it the other way around can create a unique and personalized look.
But, if you ever decide to replace the curtains or need some fabric options, you can check out direct-fabrics. They have a wide selection and might have something that catches your eye.

@Larimar, @HippieChick58, @BudFrank, @Gwendolyn2018, @ASTRALMAX, @xenoview, @bobwjr, @Mitch07102, @glennlab, @Robert_2001, @Fernapple, @Freefromgod, @Cuddycruiser, @Paddypereira, @QuidamOutrepont

Yesterday I finished the second curtain for Claire. Was so tired, I slept nine hours.

Love what @HippieChick58 said:

"I always love wrapping up a project. I also love starting projects. It's that middle ground that gets tough. Which is why I have way too many PIPs. (Projects In Progress)."

I love coming to the end of a big project. The start is exciting. The middle is a mental and physical challenge. It's easy to bog down. Finishing requires pushing myself hard, step-by-step. It gets grueling.

That's how I approach hiking. I mentally divide hikes and projects into chunks.

"I can do anything for a mile," I say cheerfully. Push myself to the top.

"You said you get a second wind," Rich said on a steep hike up Chatter Creek trail. "You got a third wind and went faster!" he marveled.

Afterward, Rich called the Chatter Creek hike "climbing Mt. Everest." 🙂

Yes, this is the wisdom I've heard over the years; when the task seems too big to break it down into chunks. I try to make progress every day on some of the projects, the ones I deem of highest importance. I used to do the same thing when walking at the gym. It was not a long track, but I'd reason I could go 5 more minutes or 5 more laps, and then 5 more, etc. I was looking back to stats from when I belonged to that gym, I got my 10,000 steps most days.

Depends what I'm working on and where I'm doing it. I had to force myself to make my daughter's wedding dress some years back because it was in a friggin studio apartment. I also made the flowers and all the food, served it, cleaned up, walked her down the aisle and sang. Other things have taken either a month or years. It depends on the motivation. Oh, and when she saw her dress, she commented on the beads..."mom, the colors don't all match." I had to explain to her that they were "her" beads. She was 4 when I started at the bridal shop doing alterations and she would crawl on the floor picking up handsfuls of beads that had fallen off dresses they had been glued to. She cried. I'd moved them twenty times to put them on her dress.

You're a good mom, you've gotten these done well and the stocking. Claire is a lucky daughter.

I'll never do bridal gowns again. I did that for a long enough back in the day. Alterations, creating, etc. Stuff like this is a joy....but no thanks on the bridezillas ever again.

@Larimar

That's understandable. You have my sympathy.

That looks great! You have more persistence in this than I do

Recently, I ordered four pairs of ready made curtains on Amazon. I was somewhat disappointed because the color was not exactly as advertised on their site, moreover, the quality of the curtains left a lot to be desired as the stitching is too tight and when hung the curtains curl slightly upwards.

@ASSTRALMAX

That's not surprising. Sorry you got poor quality curtains.

I would return them for a refund.

@LiterateHiker Yes, I could return them and get a refund, however, I have decided to take them down and use a steam iron and with a bit of stretching it may straighten them out. 🙂

@LiterateHiker Of course, if you have any suggestions, apart from returning the curtains, let me know.

@ASTRALMAX

Ask @Larimar. She was a professional seamstress.

@ASTRALMAX
Cheap cloth is never worth doing much to try to save it. If a good pressing and steaming doesn't work you can always return it. What concerns me is your reference to the stitching. Incorrect stitching on cloth can permanently warp the weave, it can be irreversible.

@Larimar I will return them if the steam iron doesn't straighten them out..🙂

@Larimar Sream ironing and stretching has removed 90% of the curling on the edges of the curtains, therefore, I settle of how much better they look now. 🙂

@ASTRALMAX try sewing a medium weight sinker into the hem......or on the backside

@Larimar Great idea, I will buy some medium weight sinkers today today. Thank you...🙂

what is this? my psychic torments here in biden/trump tweedle dum/tweedle dee land are not sufficient? now, here comes some kind of feminine cabal (( not "feminist" cabal, women were capable of the most evil cabals long before the overt feminists reared (get the pun?) their ugly butts. )). now they're turning agnostic.com, already suffering a hopefully temporary decline, into a public t.v. style cooder craft show?

I always love wrapping up a project. I also love starting projects. It's that middle ground that gets tough. Which is why I have way too many PIPs. (Projects In Progress) Essentially it is my plan for retirement.

@HippieChick58

You nailed it. That's the truth.

Can't wait to put away the sewing machine, sewing supplies, iron, ironing board and fabric cutting board. And vacuum.

@LiterateHiker I have a sewing room, so when I'm done for the time being I just have to chase cats out and close the door. It is rare that I'm not sewing daily. I have two quilts in progress right now, I don't usually do that. After the second quilt is done I don't have any plans for another large project for a while. That can change on a dime. When you spoke of directional sewing I nodded. When I do the quilting on smaller projects I start from the center and then sew outwards, and on the next row I sew inwards. It keeps things from distorting.

Nice work. Claire is lucky to have you.

Beautiful job

@bobwjr

Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:593591
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.