Agnostic.com

17 2

If a humanist (or other) believes in evolution then they are eating cousins, brothers and distant relatives. Is an omnivorous lifestyle counter to humanism? Can your conscience handle eating animals? Are vegans more morally pure? Is any flesh suitable for consumption? Do you delight in eating the carcass of slaughtered sentient life.

Asking for a friend.

Chewing the fat.

Polemicist 7 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The whole of a functioning echo system relies on the consumption of itself, once a life form reaches the point of being able to make informed and ethical choices, then those choices and the consequences of them are up to said being.
Unless of course there is no belief in the existence of free will, in which case the whole discussion become moot.

We are also related to plants so I guess we’re fucked.

Entirely too entertaining a conversation...perfect!

Fruition to my evil plan and miskit to my rescue.

I suspect you're onto the gist of my tryst here.

Technically it's common descent on top of evolution which says that. Moreover, as other's have mentioned plants and fungi are also more distant cousins. The question is where your draw the line? Is it the degree or relatedness or some other criteria. The fructarian diet seems appropriately guilt free. Or just not anthropomorphising your food. For me the line isn't that an organism has a face that my brain is keen to project feelings onto. For some it's whether a being has a capacity for enjoyable experiences, for interacting with others and for having preferences about continued life. For me a good rule of thumb is whether they recognise their own name.

Sounds like just another way of trying to get around eating meat through the use of BS. For some of us this strategy does not hold water. As living being evolve to higher levels so do their degree of sentiency. The level of sentiency can determine how much pain and suffering they can feel and their level of consciousness. More and more it is being shown that many of the animals that we eat do have a higher degree of sentiency than we thought. Aside from inflicting pain and suffering on sentient beings there is also the environmental aspect which is mostly absent from this post and all the comments. The natural life support system is one we all much share and the practice of meat eating has been clearly and scientifically shown to be extremely harmful for the system.

" The natural life support system is one we all much share and the practice of meat eating has been clearly and scientifically shown to be extremely harmful for the system."

More information please.

@Polemicistical The media is awash with tons with facts and figures. One has to be really in denial to not have seen some of the information.the information: [nationalgeographic.com]
I just received the recent publication of "Nutrition Action Health Letter" and this issue, May 2021 is full of charts and information comparing plant based foods and meat (torture based food).

@Polemicist @JackPedigo
"the practice of meat eating has been clearly and scientifically shown to be extremely harmful for the system."
So has breathing, as oxygen is a proven corrosive poison, but I'm not giving that up either.
The world is killing us from the moment we are born, it is a very hostile environment, we just have to make choices that allow each of to live through it for as long as we can or want to, in the way we choose to feel is best and most ethical for ourselves.

@LenHazell53 "...extremely harmful to the system" Correct, but the 'system' is the planet and the inhabitants on it not just stupid human bodies. Yes, clearly and scientifically shown the reason the world is killing us (and thousands of other life forms) is because of our behavior. I am not guilt free but at least I try and learn and reduce my being a part of the problem. With breathing one has no control but what one eats one does have control.

@JackPedigo
Eating is not a choice, same as breathing, choosing what you eat is possible in times of plenty, but choosing not to eat is the same as choosing not to breathe, both will kill you..
Being consumed by parasitic fungi, pathogens animals and plants is nothing to do with our behavior, it is a fact of nature, destroying our own environment is supplemental to the natural order of things.

I think you mean the large scale production of meat is harmful. Then again, basically anything we do to produce food harms the eco-system. Carnivores have been around since before animals left the water to eat plants other than plankton.

@LenHazell53 More use of semantics for the purpose of confusion. What we eat IS a choice and in the world of the 21st century one absolutely does not need to eat meat of any kind. Billions of people through the ages have proven that fact. Also, a fact is that it takes far more resources and energy to produce meat. We could probably feed the present population of people without GMO's if everyone ate a plant based diet. Everyday more information is put out concerning the benefits of a plant based diet. A friend here is from England and there, there are even more choices for no meat foods.[peoplespharmacy.com]

@RonWilliam53 So does this fact make it acceptable for humans to continue on the path many have decided to stay? For some, evidence and reason based habits are to be ignored.

@JackPedigo I am simply advocating for choice, personally I eat very little meat, mainly fish and poultry, but I don't deride those who, or those who abstain.
I find many born again vegans and vegetarians for a time at least become a total pain in the arse lording their righteousness over those who have not followed them in to the granary. They remind me of ex-smokers who flap their hands like maidens in distress and cough overly enthusiastically and loudly at anyone who so much as takes a lighter out of their pocket.
Your choices are your choices and the consequence of those choices are there for you to accept blame or praise for, but virtue signaling and preaching will only make others say fuck you pal and eat a Big Mac and chicken fries right in front of you, just to piss you off.

@LenHazell53 By all the posts I saw nothing concerning choice, except to say things are not a choice. To me it sounded as if we are automatons and do as we are programmed.

So now it's okay to smoke and pollute other people's air. Of course there's no such thing as 2nd hand smoke. There are personal, societal, and environmental consequences to many things we do. In this age of hyper-overpopulation, more and more, what we do affects others. I would say those being affected have a right to speak out. It is said one's right to swing their arms end where another nose begins. To me, that means I have a right to protect my nose and the rest of my body. So whose right tRumps another's?

Of course the old ploy of, do the opposite of what others say because one is tired of hearing it. Unfortunately that often harms the one doing the opposite. My uncle smoked for some 50+ years. His health started to deteriorate and his doctor told him simply he could not help as my uncles smoking would kill him sooner than later. He went home and threw away all his cigarettes. He also became a big preacher to get others to stop smoking. Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately, very few others learn from anothers mistakes and are doomed to make them themselves.

@JackPedigo I think the facts that a nice medium rare steak and crispy bacon are delicious are reasons enough. As well as the desire not to see cows, chickens sheep and pigs made extinct.

@RonWilliam53 I see, sensuality before morality. Considering how many have to live they might prefer going extinct.

Technically, animal life evolved from the same place as plants so being a vegan is the same cannibal thing.
And to be totally honest, I've eaten a woman or three and they never complained...

If you'll cast your mind back, you didn't swallow.

@Polemicistical hahahahahahahaha

@Polemicistical oh yes I did!

@Polemicist I think maybe you've been doing it wrong.

@LenHazell53 Not according to my victims.

There are a lot of people who won't eat meat, are they wrong?

The only people who are wrong are those who tell people they are wrong for what they eat.

@RonWilliam53 Nah...there are lots of people who are wrong.

Watch some slo-mo/time lapse footage of plant/ecosystems, or even fungi. (All over Youtube) They too are intent on becoming dominant, given an even marginal environment. All life seeks to "profit" off other life, you are Very naive!

I shall tell my imaginary friend that he's silly to have asked these questions.

If profit is the motive then should he be told to ease up.

I'm just a tater with feet.

Send this man straight to our planting in pieces division. Thank you Hank, we'll love you all ways.

@Polemicistical wow, taters can love too i reckon.

Humans have been eating meat for ;protein ever since evolution produced the homo sapien. The practice is a part of who we are. It has nothing to do with morality. If one carried your point of view to its logical conclusion, we would also not eat plants, as we all evolved from single-celled organisms. In other words, the question is absurd.

Absurdity, here? We could grow food from cells deceased from natural causes.

@Polemicistical so cannibalism just one step removed? Shades of the Donner party or rugby players.

I'm not giving up my steak!

A table for two sir?

What do you think evolution is?
Some plants have gained an evolutionary advantage by trapping and digesting insects, for example.
Many fungii, yet another branch of life, infect plants, insects and animals.
It is perfectly normal to "life". Even bacteria prey upon each other.

What about those cyanobacteria pumping their filthy waste gas into the atmosphere inadvertently causing many of the problems today.

@Polemicistical The evil creatures ingested another organism and forced it into slavery inside their bodies.
Without them the planet would be wonderfully devoid of huge human populations.

The short answer is...no vegans are not more morally pure.

Meat eating is not a moral issue. What is a moral issue is how we treat other species, and the environment we and they live in. How we farm all of our food, both animal and crops, using best practice husbandry and ethics, that is a moral issue. How we should have a fairer, more even distribution of food at affordable prices to all humans in every country is a moral issue.

Only the rich with full supermarket shelves and a surfeit of choice can have the luxury of indulging in this navel-gazing pseudo morality argument about veganism, which is just the latest yuppy fad. The people who are forced to attend the growing number of food banks due to lack of money to feed their families, that is a moral issue. That what they earn is insufficient to buy enough food of any type to feed their families.... that is definitely a moral issue!

Good point on global welfare, and the moral issue of how we treat other species while we are eating them is food for thought.

I agree with your first paragraph and have heard about the 2nd one. A UC Davis professor who once claimed that vegetarianism/veganism was immoral, also stated that only the rich could afford some type of foods BUT the type of foods he claimed were yuppified, were organic not meat.

When I was living in Heidelberg my first Thanksgiving I had a full American style dinner and invited many of the neighbor University students. One young woman had a lot of meat at the meal and then went outside and fainted. It seems she, and many other students went on a vegetarian diet as meat was expensive. The sudden intake of meat was too much for her body and she fainted (and a funny story followed). Point is, meat is usually the more expensive item in any supermarket. One can (and I do) get by on spending a lot less by eliminating meat from our diets. On the contrary, a diet full of meat is the luxury. Look at countries, as China, that now have a surfeit of money to spend on food. Their consumption of meat products rise. The increasing lack of food is a population/resource issue which, in my mind, is the highest immoral issue of all.

Sorry I cannot go with you on the importance of animals. I was brought up in a family of farmer - butchers. I am going along with veganism in that I ordered a vegan meal at a non vegan restaurant. I am also clear that if we cannot treat animals properly then we cannot treat Humans properly. I love my two black cats although a family dog hospitalized me with a bite to the hand aged 8. But I will respect animals even more if they start (without human help) a campaign specially for the welfare of 81 year old ex science teacher. Do I have to apologize for the fact there is a multi-million year old food chain and ' pecking order '? Misuse of word ' cousins ' I will not mention.

Vegans are also eating cousins, since we are also related to plants as well, though not quite as close. And there is no proof that plants are not to a slight degree sentient. Indeed a live plant is arguably a lot more sentient than a tranquilized animal, which has been drugged, say, before slaughter..

We may think that degree of closeness is the key, and would say perhaps that. I will not eat human flesh. Or I will not eat apes, or I will not eat primates, or mammals etc. But the problem with that is that none of these groups, apart from the first, has a hard edge, and animal life and plant life merge virtually seamlessly, the groupings are largely artificial.

All life, lives by killing other life. Even green plant life which is forced to smother many rivals in order to reach and gain their share of the sunlight. While many species only avoid extinction because humans ate them. (e.g. Chinese Mule Deer.)

And finally a hypothetical to complicate your friends life further. Supposing you are shipwrecked on a tiny island. You may have to survive weeks until rescue, but there are only a few species of plant on the island, only one of which is edible, and if you eat all of those, as you easily could, you will wreck the islands ecosystem for good. However the body of one of your shipmates has washed up on the shore. So what are you going to do ?

Without refrigeration, you are going to eat him Fast!

@AnneWimsey You cut him into strips and hang them in the bushes to dry.

@Fernapple yeah, and get extra protein from all the fly slobber covering him.....no thanks!

Luckily being reasonably buoyant, @AnneWimsey rode me through the surf to the shore of the coral cay. We kept the body in the water for bait and fashioned a net from a red singlet. I enjoyed eviscerating the corpse and obtaining bone and sinew for fishing.

Your points about other animals and vegetables are valid and have been tabled for consideration at our next banquet.

@AnneWimsey Use the sun to evaporate the saltwater and salt the guy with the residue.

@AnneWimsey I have noticed a slug or two as well as numerous bugs in my garden. They did have bibs,though

@RonWilliam53 I thought of combining salt and drying, but thought it may prove a bit technically demanding, you could perhaps also use light smoking, by burning some of the more common inedible bushes, and the smoke keeps the flies off while you do it. All that smoked meat is not that healthy, but we are talking a survival diet here.

@RonWilliam53 do you have any idea how long it takes to evaporate saltwater vs. how long it takes a body to putrefy? You better hope you can find some roots & berries!

Is the one edible plant fava beans?

@LenHazell53 No flava bean is the most inedible of all plants, only ever served to vegans. Look what happened tp Pythagoras.

It's more the thought that counts. Taking life to sustain your own is a means of survival. Eating only fruit, grains, etc. could be a way to not take any life. It's all chemicals, compounds and elements when you boil it all down.

Word Level 8 May 19, 2021

Tasty looking arm you’ve got there. Could you step a little closer?

skado Level 9 May 19, 2021

Yes, I can dance around the subject.

@Polemicistical
We all eat each other on this planet. That’s what we do here. Life can’t exist without consuming other life. Plants are life too. Choosing to live (over starving to death) is not a moral failing. Thanks for the dance.

@skado I stepped closer, you took my arm and we danced without a care in the world for ethics.

@Polemicistical
With your remaining arm draw me a picture of the ethical implications of a lion eating a man.

@skado

O

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.