Agnostic.com

20 11

Hello there! New on this App. Lately, I’ve been intrigued by people (friends of mine) who justify the existence of God in order to do the right thing... in other words, God exists (so they say) so he tells us what’s good and what’s bad and people then do good... some days I feel hopeful humanity will improve... some days I feel defeated when I hear such thing.

Renato 3 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome

bobwjr Level 10 May 21, 2021

There is so much going on in the world. It just seems that if there was an omnipotent being things would be a little bit safer/ nicer/ fairer. Personally I don’t have it bad, but there seem to be far to many plants and animals, including humans, that could do with some help from such an entity.

meh, imagine living a thousand years ago! Or even a hundred

Welcome, Renato. 😀

I gave up on humanity a lomg time ago. I have seen nothing in our past or especially in our recent history which suggests humanity will ever change for the better.

I hear you, someone's quote ? "There will never be peace until the politician is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." Even the Buddhists are killing Muslins. Millions are praying for Rapture, Christianity is a death cult. What a wild ride it's been !!

Oh, yeah, welcome to the group.

Tell them to literally read the whole O.T. from front to back and then ask them to show you where that thing that they call god is so loving.

I ask them, "How does he do that"?

If they lean on the bible or what's written on their hearts and I point out that the bible condones slavery and "writing on the heart" is an archaic metaphor not a means of communication. Anything else is an individual making their own decision about right and wrong based on personal experience just like everyone else.

When I hear such things from the religious I assume they are happy little robots. What else would you be if a god is telling you everything to do? People should understand that things do happen. This is cause and effect, action and reaction, and has nothing to do with gods.

Welcome.

You need to get off the hell threat heaven bribe roller coaster.... The alleged xian gawd geebush geehobah ghostholes is a 4th rate loser in the global humanity race to secular success behind Buddhists muslims and Hindi ....we Atheists have our John Lennon Anthem IMAGINE ...less than 20% of 8 billion people will kill or rape with their religion or Atheism in mind most people are NOT provoked to violence for any motive....we are a nurturing species Atheists lead the way in science reclaiming our Feminist birthrightS of Atheism

Don't listen to assholes who only do good because a nonexistent made up bullcrap entity "forces" them to do it or else. How about that blackmail? Isn't blackmail also a crime? Talk about a logical god, notice I use no caps to write the common word god because I am not brainwashed by any of the thousands of imbeciles who created similar number of entities to explain the existence of things their lack of knowledge could not explain. What is this scary light coming from the sky that makes such horrible loud noise? Why that is (fill in the blank) who is mad and is punishing us for behaving badly. Total bullshit!

You're right Renato. Believers have illogical and shocking superstition. Let's hope the humans will improve someday

Hope is wrong work is right Atheism and Feminism are our birthrights to reclaim from rapist popes theocrats and religious terrorists... Get busy make a scientific living vote www.HowieHawkins.us 2024 peace via Green jobs

Welcome! Which god are you talking about? Can you prove your god is real?

Penn explained it really well and I believe Stephen Fry said if the only thing stopping you from evil deeds is your faith then you frighten me.

Hello and welcome. You will find that the idea of, moral absolutes, handed down to you from an old book, by some people who claim to interpret it, ready made, for you, is widespread. And is fundamentally fueled by laziness and fear, the wish to avoid the need for difficult thinking, which you may get wrong, and the unwillingness to address nuance, while treating each new moral question, with respect and care. It is much easier just to follow mindlessly the teachings of your book and church, then blame the victim if it goes wrong, (because the book and church are perfect, so can't be wrong. )

Sadly I don't think that you will get very far with theists, by pointing out that laziness and cowardliness are included among their own list of sins anyway, and that therefore this is all painfully ironic. But you will find lots of people who agree with you here, so welcome again.

I would add to laziness and fear, oppression and self righteousness. Man created god in his own faulty image and decided such was omniscient.

Welcome.

Anybody who has to be frightened into "doing the right thing by their fellow [hu]man" by their genocidal maniac of a god is not my idea of a good person.

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Personally, I find it disturbing that believers cite "the word of god" as giving them their morals.
Apparently the fear of burning in hell is what is supposedly keeping them from doing bad things.
Then again, they still do bad things, but as long as they believe in their "savior", they believe they're forgiven.

Their hypocrisy knows NO bounds.

"Their hypocrisy knows NO bounds. " Yes.

We can only hope that the world trend AWAY from religion “catches on” here.

Be proactively assertive team up with other Atheists for world peace through Green jobs work for www.HowieHawkins.us 2024 now the only Atheist who won't pollute for profits IN gawd WE TRUST

@Larry68Feminist in THEORY, a good choice. Realistically, not so much. In general, Americans are not smart enough to make this choice. Which is how we got where we are today. Casting my vote for Hawkins-Walker would be giving a vote to the GOP. Not gonna happen.

Welcome

Word Level 8 May 21, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.