Agnostic.com

6 18

First settler cabin (1886) build in a rural area restored in Eastern WA

From the Wenatchee World Newspaper

PALISADES, WA — When Laura Hood bought five acres and a home fifteen miles up the Moses Coulee, four miles past Palisades, a caved-in root cellar near the house came with the deal. After ten years of work, it’s finally back to being operational again, the finishing touches made earlier this year.

What she found out in the process was the root cellar is thought to be the first white settler house built in the area by James Christiansen in 1886. It was described in an article written by his child Grace Christianson Gardner as a nail-less cabin built with stone walls and driftwood from the Columbia River for the roof.

In earlier ownership- before Laura Hood bought the property- electricity had been supplied to the structure but an electrical fire had burned the driftwood support timbers, collapsing the roof. Hood removed the layers of materials that had been used for roof insulation including twigs, grass, and dirt to reveal the original dirt floor.

The double-layered rock wall stood intact as she began constructing the roof like the original version. She used pine longs for the support, willow branches, grass, and piled the dirt back on the top of it all.

At fourteen feet wide and 21 feet long, there’s now plenty of room for canned food storage. She said it stayed at forty degrees inside in the winter but is waiting to see if that holds up in the years to come.

Side Question

What is up with long white beards? Yuck. I like well-groomed men.

LiterateHiker 9 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a lot of work, our house had a cold cellar what we called it but it maintained a 45° temperature in the winter and it got barely above 55-60 in the summer. 😉 I would have went with LED lighting. 😁

Wow. Didn't know they had electric lights back then.

@Morovian

In the United States, electricity became common in homes in the 1930s. Some people living in the country still did not have access to electricity at this time.

When electricity became accessible to a large number of people in the 1930s, it allowed people to enjoy life's little luxuries, such as hot plates, waffle irons and electric stoves.

For many who enjoyed country living, electricity didn't come their way for a few more decades. However, these were the families that could have used electricity the most. It would have helped them complete the number of chores necessary to keep their farms thriving and healthy.

When Did Electricity Become Common in Homes?

[reference.com]

@LiterateHiker I'm curious where the electrical power was generated. Here, one of the first power generators was on an island with a lake on top of a high hill. A slough was built to funnel the water to a turbine and generated power for a sawmill. Later, on Orcas, a diesel power generator was installed in 1937 to supply power. In 1951 a submarine cable was sunk to supply power to 20 islands. Trying to find Moses Coulee everything that comes up concerns the Grand Coulee Dam. This dam was not full operational until 1941.

@JackPedigo

Hydropower from dams on the Columbia River generated electricity.

[nwcouncil.org]

@LiterateHiker Thank you. I was so focused on the Grand Coulee Dam I forgot about earlier ones. All my searching also did not help. I guess I need to learn how to phrase searches better.

Interesting! I don’t know about the beards either. I haven’t worn one for more than 40 years.

I'm sorry but unless you play Santa Claus at Xmas time, any guy who grows a beard like that needs to re-examine his choices. No woman finds that mess attractive. Groom the damn thing.

@Sgt_Spanky

Exactly. He looks like hell.

White beards are extremely aging.

Cool

bobwjr Level 10 May 21, 2021

That is way cool! And as far as men with white beards, Santa wanna bees? I don't care, if it makes them happy I'm all for it. Same as for whatever gals wanna do. Might not be my choice, but it's all good.

Certainly, everyone’s free choice, but we don’t have to pretend we find it attractive.

@MsKathleen
People who don’t find it attractive don’t have to pretend, and people who do find it attractive... don’t need to pretend. 😊

@skado That’s partly what I said. I see no need to chastise anyone for expressing a preference.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.