Agnostic.com

20 4

Science proving there is a god

If Science one day proves with definitive findings the existence of a god, gods, or a creator would you accept it

KevinJohn151 4 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The existence of god is not a falsifiable assertion. It cannot be proven scientifically. Stop chasing it.
Abandon any moral/ethical framework that requires the existence of god.
All human beings have access to reason and compassion (even if many often don't choose to use them).
Build your moral/ethical framework upon reason and compassion, so it can apply to everyone equally, without separating out a "chosen" few.

the answer is yes. We should conform our beliefs to the evidence presesnted to us by reality and although it doesnt, if the evidence did say god existed then yes I would have to beleive.

When faced with a question like does god exist, which is a scientific question, and, If we care enough about the question, we can either care about the truth, or care about what we want to be true. If we care about the truth then we should definately look at the very best evidence/arguments for existence and non existence of god, forming our opinions without bias or prejudice. If you prefer to care more about what you would like to be true, then you can just beleive whatever you like. We call these types of people 'religious'

No, because that would mean "He" is in some sort of game or deal with the Devil. Or the Devil is just another god but an evil one with equal powers, in which case God wouldn't be God, lol. And that's not a God I would want to follow.

Science does not prove things.

Sure. I'd accept it. Of course, it is in the nature of science to never prove anything difinitively. Merely to build theories based upon the evidence as it is currently understood.

I was trained in a strict scientific background, and therefore have "faith" in very few things [The sun rises in the East every day for a reason, I never have to "hope" it will rise again tomorrow, for example]. Faith is a fine crutch for people who are unsure of their own actions, or who aren't able to grasp the science behind any given phenomenon. Personally, I don't think there would be enough tangible evidence for me to believe in gods [and the evidence would have to be reproducible, as per the scientific method]. The more baffling thing to me is how supposedly 'smart' people deny scientific findings: Here I am thinking specifically of our president (who has claimed to be our "smartest" president who knows "bigly" words] and his failure to publically recognize 150 years of global data on climate change.

I'd believe in it, however I wouldn't worship it because through it's actions, or lack there of, it has shown that it isnt worthy of worship.

Oh yeah, if there was enough evidence for a god or god-like being in existence, I'd believe it. Though that would be near impossible to prove, in that god would be supernatural, and by definition cannot be empirically observed. You'd have to somehow find a way of observing the unobservable- kinda like a holy microscope 😉 So hypothetically I would accept the existence of a god given sufficient evidence, but practically, there's really no way of observing a supernatural being- let alone a way of proving that the supernatural exists in the first place.

Do you mean a god or creator other than Nature? A supernatural something or other? If you can prove it, by definition, it is not supernatural. I believe that such questions don't make any sense. The effort to prove the supernatural is a self defeating endeavor.

I mean in the way I satated it a god gods or a creator on any spectrum of supernatueral to simple just some other race playing in a science lab with 2000 year more advanced tech than us ect. Any situation from the chriatian god to pegan gods that is or is not be all powerful

Sorry typos literally just opened my eyes

If the evidence is verifiable then acceptance would be warranted but it would open up a whole barrel of questions.

Betty Level 8 Nov 30, 2017

By the very definition of atheism, it can't happen.

godef Level 7 Nov 30, 2017

I don't respond to absurd questions.

...and, yet, there is your response.

If there was any evidence at all, I would accept it.

The God of Abraham? The one with Heaven, Hell, souls, and angels? As evidence goes that would have to be 'one charming motherf-in pig'.

believe. Need a little more info to accept. Like what it eats, what's really going on ...

Accept it, sure. Worship it, no.

Oh, worship is another matter entirely. Good catch. I don't agree with worship regardless of the power or ostensible benevolence involved.

Science doesn't exactly prove things, but does provide us with solid theories. I guess I can't envision what scientific evidence for God or gods would look like, so it's difficult to say generally how I would react, but if there were a well-defined concept for an almighty being or beings and sufficient evidence to support the claim, I'd accept it.

If science could prove it, yeah. It'd be kinda stupid not to. However, that doesn't mean I'd worship it.

Yeah, worship is another matter entirely. I don't agree with worship. I think it is an affront to personal dignity.

I believe in evidence. And so, yes, I would. Just I'd like I'd believe in the existence of the tooth fairy. It's not going to happen though, is it?

Yes. I strongly think we will not find any proof of a god/goddess.

Lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5990
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.