Agnostic.com

3 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, genius level is 160 + which kind of makes me doubt the accuracy of the rest of the story 😉

Considering that the only reliable IQ tests, the Weschler and the Stanford Binet, only measure to a maximum of 148, (3sd's above the mean), I don't understand where these measurements come from.

@Cyklone oh, it’s a different IQ test from the one I studied. I see 🙂
[iqtestprep.com]
Probably looking at the Woodcock Johnson then as it can be used after 2 years of age 🙂

@girlwithsmiles, the minimum accepted score for MENSA on the Stanford–Binet is 132, while for the Cattell it is 148

@mcgeo52 yes, perhaps, but you’ve never had to be a genius to join mensa. It used to be 140 in the UK in the 1990’s.

@SeaGreenEyez Sorry, I didn’t put that very well. 140 was the mensa membership acceptance IQ, but I’m not sure on which test. Now mensa take the top 2 percentile in the UK, so it seems to have become more exclusive.
But you can improve your scores by practicing IQ tests.
160 used to be considered genius level:

[neuroscientia.com]

@SeaGreenEyez, I have been invited a number of times to join Mensa. Based on the personalities of the people inviting me, I have never seen an adequate reason to join.

@girlwithsmiles, Mensa has always been open to the top two percent.

@mcgeo52 perhaps, but I think the used to be open to more than that 😉 in the ‘90s my friend’s dad said you needed an IQ of 140 - not sure which test. He also said you can improve slightly by practice. Looking at the tests on my link above, 140 wasn’t the top 2%.
But with so many different tests it’s kind of confusing lols.

@girlwithsmiles, Mensa has always been "open to people who score at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardised, supervised IQ or other approved intelligence test."

[mensa.org]

@mcgeo52 are you saying it’s only ever been open to those people? That’s the qualification I’m trying to make, I think in the UK it used to be open to more than the 98th and above.

@girlwithsmiles, Mensa’s original charter, which has not changed, states that it is open to anyone who scores at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardized IQ test.

@mcgeo52 thanks.

Holy shit

bobwjr Level 10 May 27, 2021

WOW! That is amazing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.