Agnostic.com

7 7

Lip service, platitudes, tokenism, performative gestures, empty promises, and let downs, that is what the democratic party has to offer us.

RoboGraham 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Civil rights act of 1964. Are you pretending there are viable options ?

Leetx Level 7 May 28, 2021

actually.... I think LBJ said: " Democrats have lost the Southern vote.."@TheInterlooper

Let's say LBJ said both, (and I'm positive of one) I still miss your point. Are you saying an a-hole can't do the RIGHT thing on occasion ...OR.. that the civil rights act of 1964 was wrong ? Kind of a silly point ether way. @TheInterlooper

That was in 1964. What have they done since LBJ that was substantial and meaningful? Candy ass stuff like unpaid family leave doesn't count, at least in my book, and neither does gay rights or Obamacare. Why? Because none of those cost the rich or corporations any real amounts of money or power. Even Obamacare was a profitable gift to the health insurance and drug companies, as well as hospital systems.

Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid ???

Leetx Level 7 May 28, 2021

They did some good things a lifetime ago. But I'm talking about the modern democratic party.

Your agenda is obvious. I urge you not to vote Democrat. @RoboGraham

I also urge you to list the accomplishments of the viable alternative to voting Democrat...... just saying @RoboGraham

@RoboGraham Exactly! They have done nothing significant since I was a child and LBJ was prez. He was the last progressive prez we had, at least on economic policies, unless you count Nixon, who was way to the left of the modern Dems on economic policy.

strange that you would mention Nixon who destroyed affordable health care in America... think HMO's @TomMcGiverin

@Leetx Overall tho, he was still way to the left of today's Dem Party on economics affecting the working class and middle class. He had to be, in order to beat McGovern in 1972.

This is the perfect graphic to represent the democratic party. The man is acting like he is trying to help you up, but if he really wanted to, he would just hand down the ladder, which is just out of your view.

The democrats control both houses of Congress and the presidency. They made many promises to help those who are struggling. They are pretending to do something. They are extending that hand down to make it seem as though they are trying. But if they actually wanted to, they could raise the min wage to a living wage, forgive student debt, pass healthcare reform, raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations, reform policing, legalize cannabis, etc... There is so much good they could do, if they actually wanted to. But they don't. They are beholden to the elites and have no interest in helping the working class. They will not hand down the ladder. They will only provide enough to give hope and stave off revolution.

Very well said. That's it exactly.

50/50 Senate with 2 Democratic "NO" votes means we can't pass any of this stuff. gQp insured Obama didn't, either, but he also wasn't politically savvy enough to get much. You folks who complain about the Democrats seem to forget the realities of getting anything passed in Congress (and all of what you mention needs Cogressional approval from BOTH CHAMBERS). Pelosi has passed much of it. So, no, it isn't well said or well thought out.

@rainmanjr

50/50 senate with the democratic vice president as tie breaker. Those two democratic no votes are democrats. The exact people I'm talking about. The party fails to get much of anything done even when they are in complete control and they conveniently always have a few conservative dems to blame.

@rainmanjr

The realities of getting things passed in congress is that the democrats consistently fail to get things passed through congress.

Is it rationalization? What could one say about the Republican Party? The answer to many questions is defined within the question. Maybe you need a different question?

I would say the same about the republicans except they don't pretend to be helpful.

Did he even ask a question?

It looks to me like he is telling us something about the democrats, not asking. And why bring up republicans?

@RoboGraham. You are not thinking; your views are digital, zeros or ones.

Try thinking and your views will vary. On the GOP they will cluster at zero. On the Dems your views will cluster NOT AT ONE but a few near zero but most of them above the midpoint.

In plainer language, you want perfection. Because no one will give you perfection you get nothing and then complain.

Perfection is impossible. I want them to at least try to do what they promised the voters to get elected. It's not too much to ask.

@RoboGraham So the Dems delivered on their promises: lip service, platitudes, tokenism, performative gestures, empty promises, and let downs. And still you complain.

Who did what to you when you were a kid?

Aaah, yessss,we have just had 4 years of seeing what Repugs can & will do in these areas

What do the republicans have to do with it?

@RoboGraham

It drives me crazy when pointing out how terrible the democrats are and people respond with whataboutisms. The republicans are worse, yes, that doesn't mean the dems are any good.

@Zoltans_Queen we learned from repubs and it works for them soooooooo

I do agree neither side is perfect but what is happening to the repub party is criminal we need 2 sides to function well

@whiskywoman

Right, republicans are really really bad. But that doesn't mean we ought to be using their criminality to excuse democrats when they are horrible, which is very often.

This discussion is on the topic of democrats only pretending to help people. Bringing up how bad republicans are is just a whataboutism.

I’m reading that to say you’re wanting real help. Is that what you intend?

Of course

@RoboGraham With both parties in normal times serving the ruling class, the only help is that which we give ourselves or give each other.

These are not normal times; the GOP is serving DJT, hoping he won’t throw them under the bus. The Dems, who want to grow their majorities so they can better serve the ruling class, are presently helping us.

What a strange question. Who doesn't want real help rather than a fake gesture of help?

@Zoltans_Queen Strange times produce strange questions.

Usually, both parties serve the ruling class. The GOP is serving Trump and the Dems, hoping to keep their majorities in Congress, are presently serving voters.

Your bio says you teach English. Here’s a related haiku.
English, our language / Has two excellent uses: / Poetry and fraud.

@yvilletom

They are not serving voters. They are reneging on their campaign promises and doing whats best for their top campaign contributors, same as usual.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599509
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.