Agnostic.com

36 8

Why are you a loner?

If you are, why do you think that is?

I find people to try my patience. I prefer to not be around them as I might just say something that would not be either kind or helpful.

Also, and maybe more of the reason, I think I am just too much for most people. I am strongly opinionated, loud, foul mouthed, outgoing (pushing the limits), adventurious (always ready to change things up), and just don't want to take crap from people. I believe this is more common for women of a certain age. And part of the reason I have not been able to secure a good job.

And maybe just a tad bit insecure and worried what others think or feel about me. I keep a buffer.

What are your reasons.?

Akfishlady 8 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I get bore, someone wants to pick my brains and no can do. I got a lot of thoughts meant to be private. I have a short attention span. Passion must be feed like a hungry monster or dissapears in the darkness where lust awaits in vain to be consumed, when inspiration comes... I don't want to be disturbed. I can interrupt my loner stance for the right individual, where used to be music now is silence and I like my quiet place. But I am a sucker for partnered dancing so... here you go. My Lady, Care to dance?

Because most people are selfish assholes lol

I'm a loner because I'm uncomfortable in large social gatherings, I'm shy, I don't make friends easily, I'm introverted, and I'm somewhat anti-social. I have a handful of friends but most I only see once every few months. I don't really consider any of my co-workers to be friends because I know that if I were to ever leave that job I'd never hear from any of them ever again.

I don't particularly like people...they are annoying

I've always been a bit of an introvert and shy, socially awkward. And growing up poor, plump, and smater than most of my classmates didn't help, and the witch from hell that my dad married after my mom died thought we shouldn't have any life after school hours besides working. Since I was 19 I have moved over 20 times. I joined the Army out of HS to get the hell out of my dad's house. I went from over protected to wild and crazy. Then I married to a service member and got out of the service, and became a stay at home mom. The military while overseas and then having kids in elementary school and churches gave us our social life. And becasue we did move frequently it meant we lost friends at the same time. Once out of the military community I learned that cliques still exist, adults can be cruel as ever, and I was usually an outsider. Depression didn't help. I was glad when the kids were no longer in scouts or sports, or school activities. So post divorce, living alone, my kids are most of my social life. I keep to myself at work, most of my co-workers are younger than me. I don't like noisy places and I'm cheap so I avoid the cafeteria, and usually eat at my desk. I've made some acquaintances at work, ladies my age. I have a friend from a fomer job that we schedule time together, but they keep changing her schedule. I have a meet up group of Humanists that I attend some meetings. If I need a social activity I can find it, but for the most part, I am resigned to my own company. With my baby girls Zelda and Xena I have great witty conversations, a tad one sided but whatcha gonna do. I am content with the status quo, or I tell myself I am.

People change when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of changing. I'm not to the point of changing anything yet.

Introversion is a common trait of high IQ people. In my case, it's from my androgyne nature. Male traits are typically found on the (nonverbal) right brain hemisphere, so having to talk to people quickly tires and annoys me. I enjoy people when I'm with them, but need to go outside for a long walk in nature to recharge and recover my inner peace.

I think I am more of a hermit rather than a loner. I choose a quiet, reflective lifestyle. I like my downtime. I like my own thoughts. I love being with people I love and even meeting new people. But I like me too.

Sounds like you are reflective, too, akfishlady. That's a good quality. You know yourself. I think the more we know ourselves, the more secure we become, the more we tone down opinions that are judgemental and let ourselves just be comfortable and confident, outspoken even, able to voice our own preferences. You sound to me like you're in a good place needing just one more push towards self love/acceptance.

I loved this peom by Irene McLeod at 11 and don't think I've changed much in some ways, I've always marched to the beat of my own drum and a few awesome individuals understand that beat.

I'm a lean dog, a keen dog,
A wild dog and lone,
I'm a rough dog, a tough dog,
Hunting on my own!

I'm a bad dog, a mad dog,
Teasing silly sheep,
I love to sit and bay the moon,
And keep fat souls from sleep.

I'll never be a lap dog,
Licking dirty feet,
A sleek dog, a meek dog,
Cringing for my meat.

Not for me the fireside,
The well filled plate,
But shut door and sharp stone
And cuff and kick and hate.

Not for me the other dogs,
Running by my side,
Some have run a short while,
But none of them would bide.

O mine is still the lone trail,
The hard trail, the best,
Wide wind and wild stars
And hunger of the quest.

I am just a miserable bastard. But WTF I have my cats who needs other people.

I'm an introvert by nature, so my first instinct is to seek solitude. That being said, I'm quite sick of being alone, and would love to find some companionship.

How's that saying go..... "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog."

Me, only child and been on my own since I was 16 so it kind of goes with the territory. The tough part is to really be ok with being a loner... you have to like yourself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.