Agnostic.com

28 5

Depression from Nihilism

For my fellow nihilists -- How do you cope with the unrelenting numbness and depression that come with nihilism? I'm trying to avoid antidepressants, but I literally don't know what else to do at this point. I have fallen into this abyss, and I'm lost in it. I'm scared that this is how I am going to feel for the rest of my life. I just keep going deeper and deeper into this thing, with no light at the end of the tunnel anymore. I've been in this state of mind for approximately a year now. It's hard to make people understand what I'm going through when they just don't get it. They don't see the world the way that I do and they never will. I know this is a dark topic and a depressing post, but it's part of the reason I even joined this site. This feeling is isolating. Nihilism is this trap; that once it gets ahold of you, there seems to be no way out. Depression is not the root issue, at hand.. nihilism is. The nihilism came first, then the depression followed. Have you found anything that works to get you through the day? Have you resorted to medication to bring you some sort of comfort? And if you did -- did the medication ease the numbness that comes with nihilism or did it just make you more numb? I've had a bad experience with antidepressants in the past, so this is my absolute last resort. Maybe there's another way?

TiffanyJV 3 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this but I'll offer a bit of advice.

1. Disrupt your day to day

2. Sunlight has been shown to help with depression.

3. While nihilism may have been the root cause the depression is the problem.

4. In medicine we treat the symptoms not the actual disease/condition/disorder. (I know you said you don't want medication). Just trying to emphasize the point that you need to treat the depression and not the cause.

5. Understand that everything is purely a construct of your understanding. I.e. why is the color red, the color red? The color red by our definition and understanding is generally accepted by the perception of the populace.

I hope this helps and you can feel free to message me if you would like.

A lot of people think you have to stop being a nihalist, which is silly to expect somebody to change that so easily since you have probably put a lot of thought into it already.

As for me, I have an optimistic view of it where it means I'm free to create my own purpose in life, I think about the kind of person I want to be and strive for that. Maybe get a hobby, do what makes you happy and have goals to work towards, which works as a nice replacement for some silly omnipresent purpose to all life, which fails at the end because it's not personally what you want.

I know it can be hard, heck I was becoming apathetic for a while, but now I'm at terms with it. I hope you will to, and maybe it will help to know somebody who understands.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Dec 8, 2017

I'm sorry you feel bad. I get pretty depressed sometimes. I spent last month wanting to die. I understand at least a bit. I've been medicated for years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I also smoke weed and take acid and mushrooms whenever I can.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.