Agnostic.com

6 0

infinity

what's your favorite infinity?

hankster 9 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How imma goin' to live long enough to test it out?

are you gonna be around long enough to imagine it? to simply speculate? just in case it don't matter anyway? it does get recorded on your permanent record.

Iā€™m perfectly satisfied with your every day countable infinity.

My LEAST favourite, has to be homeopathy. The more dilute it is the stronger it gets !~#?!?~#?

i was thinking "dog love".

I was invited to a gift exchange several years ago. A girl of about 15 gave me my gift. It was the infinity symbol. That's been my favorite infinity ever since.

A parking lot hedge at our office, it seems to be capable of holding an infinite number of cigarette butts.
A long established tradition going back years before I went to work there.

Mathematically I'm partial to the infinity of infinities.
There are infinitely-many infinities, each one larger than before!

what might make infinities distinct?

@hankster Set theory.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@hankster I read there's a proof that all infinities are the same size but it's on the internet and requires a full investigation of the proof, if true then.. well lets see.
For example the entire set of all integers is infinite, so are the entire set of all prime numbers, intuition says the infinity of integers is greater than the infinity of prime numbers.
So I'm doubting this new proof. It implies there are as many primes as there are integers.

@hankster I sit around and worry about time and space and it takes me to strange places.

@Willow_Wisp i suppose its a bit beyond me, but scale seems relevant tho size does not. anyway, happy worrying.

@Willow_Wisp An even simpler one. The entire set of all integers is infinite, so is not the entire set of integer with the fraction of tenths between them, ten times larger.

And are the integers part of nature, and therefore a discovery, or are they a human cultural invention, and therefore not real. Since the integers are a system of labels we have given to things. ( If I own a sheep, I have one, if I get another sheep I call that two etc. ) And since the universe is probably finite, as is the number of atomic particles within it, is therefore infinity, just a failing of human modeling.

@Fernapple mathematics is just a tape measure. it don't make the house stand or fall. purely a human invention. it can be used to describe a truth or a fiction.

@hankster I apply that to all of human culture too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:600418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.