Agnostic.com

7 6

LOL, that really worked.
Sick of getting Junk Mail stuffed in my mailbox, tossed in to my gardens, etc, etc.
So I hand-made a little sign and fixed to my gate in plain sight.
It reads, in LARGE black letters on a Bright YELLOW background, " No Junk Mail, I'm Illiterate, the dog only reads Greek and the Budgie only speaks Klingon."
Just watched from my window seat, as a Junk Mail Deliverer stood there at my sign, scratching and shaking his head before he had second thoughts, put the junk mail back in his pouch and wandered away still looking confused.

Triphid 9 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Now, if you could come up with something for junk phone calls...

Congress had the opportunity and big surprise, they sided with companies instead of people.

Whatever happened to the Do Not Call list?

Already have, my answering machine which give the message, " Transylvanian Transfusion Services, Dr. Acula speaking.............."

In the US, reduced rate junk mail is a subsidy to capitalism; it’s paid by unwilling postal users or unwilling taxpayers.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but it is estimated that a third of USPS' profits and over half of the pieces of mail being sent are 'junk mail'. Tax payers aren't paying to get junk mail, businesses are paying to send it to you at a high enough rate that the USPS generates tens of billions of dollars of revenue from it annually.

Yep. It's subsidized.

@JeffMurray Right. Businesses pay to send junk mail, and they add the amount they pay to the prices their customers pay.

@yvilletom By that definition, everything, everywhere, is subsidized at all times. A store's electricity is subsidized because they include their overhead in their prices. Employees' bathroom breaks are subsidized because staffing is worked into the budget and effects pricing. I think two out of the billion possible examples is enough.

But that's not what subsidy means. Public money (generally taxes) are used to aid a private entity because their sales/highest possible profit margin aren't enough to keep them in business. Me personally going to a business and buying something isn't a subsidy.

I often wonder if the mail carriers ever feel bad about the fact that so much of the heavy piles of mail they carry around go straight into the trash bin. But I guess it helps pay their wages.

Confused where in the world a letter carrier would be permitted to make the determination what constitutes "junk mail" and is similarly permitted to use that determination to fail to deliver something the post is contractually obligated to deliver. This seems like a joke that fails to let us know it was supposed to be a joke...

I have heard that they are authorized to discriminate between bulk mail (all junk) and addressed mail (may or may not be junk). I cannot vouch for this information; file it under "I have heard..." or with your other junk mail.

@AmyTheBruce Not true, if you pay for delivery, you get delivery, as is only right!

@AmyTheBruce Found this. It's more or less what I assumed. Could be bullshit, but it rings true to me. Chad Wallace who claims to work at U.S. Postal Service said, "Postal carriers don't use the term, 'Junk mail', we call non first class, no request to be forwarded mail 'bulk business mail'.

Carriers are mandated to deliver any letter/parcel with a clear designation and paid postage. Anything from 'free' political mail to expensive heavy parcels. If we delay, throw away, and/or destroy mail we can receive discipline anything from getting written up including removal and/or arrest.

The problem lies in some companies send important correspondence via bulk mail either to save money or to trick thieves who steal first class mail. Also, newer carriers may not know all the differences between the different classes of mail. Let's say your carrier doesn't deliver 'junk mail' at your request, what if something important doesn't get delivered? You report it, the Post office does and investigation, the carrier admits to not delivering some mail…he's probably fired.

If you personally know your carrier and you two have an understanding about what's 'junk' they might do it but they might ask you to give a written letter to the Post Master asking if he can. But you have more control over what gets mailed to you. Look for a website or number on the mail and contact them and ask to get off the mailing list.

Or…………just recycle it."

The reason I think this is all accurate is because I happened to be in the Post Office one day while someone was working out the bulk delivery fee for a giant box of post cards promoting her upcoming event. Seems awful to me that someone could pay them hundreds or even thousands of dollars to deliver advertising to a ton of people only to have them all just tossed in the trash for being bulk. That would be like a vendor selling you a $7 Bud Light and then knocking it out of your hand because no 'one should drink a beer that shitty'. 😝

The 'Junk Mail' to which I'm referring here is NOT delivered by employees of Australia Post Postal Services, it IS delivered by hand and by those wishing to earn extra bucks, TAX free, from Advertising Companies and the like.
On average, every 7 days a household WILL receive approx. 8-10 rolled up advertising pamphlets, 6-8 advertising leaflets, 5-9 advertising booklets displaying the 'Weekly Specials' at various Supermarket Chains, 3 -4 Religious Circulars and few dozen or so other bits of advertising garbage, ALL hand Delivered whether you want it or NOT, the ONLY thing ONE can do is to display plainly and clearly your WISH and desire NOT to have your Mail-box and gardens polluted with THEIR rubbish.

@Triphid completely different from USA! If we had that I too would decline, to save trees & the pollution from printing, inks, etc

@Triphid That is completely different from the USA. Here, paperboys get sent cease and desist letters from the United States Postal Service if they even put the newspaper in the mailbox.

The junk mail guy is just doing his job, you are mean to confuse him!

Well, let him do HIS job anywhere else EXCEPT at my house then.

I guess you had someone else make the sign? Hahahaha..

Yep, got the pet Budgie to do the whole thing....LOL.

@Triphid Ah....very good move.

"I'm illiterate" and you wrote the sign? Hmm!

It worked didn't it, he'll be raking his brain trying to figure that one out I reckon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:602876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.