Agnostic.com

10 9

This is a GREAT you tube video about the Amish,,, very interesting to say the least.. You don't have to agree with their religious beliefs, but you can't help but love their attitudes.. 😊

Captain_Feelgood 8 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just another load of tyrannical sky daddy fear mongers, shunning and emotionally abusive to children, sexist and racist, deluded hypocritical fuckwits.

Went to college in Pennsylvania and have cousins who live their. been to Bird in Hand many times in part to go Miller's General Store which I regard as a very good place to shop for food. Took my children when they were young to show them how others live. Was taken to an Amish farm in a horse and buggy. Went to the hat maker's shop and was given a tour of the steam driven tools and bought a hat. If you act with respect and speak like a human, I have found everyone to be friendly and kind. The store is run mostly by women, but there is always a man there watching over the proceedings as if it is expected that some of the tourists will be obnoxious, as I am sure happens on a regular basis. I always ask the women for help in very respectful way. Last time , Mr MIller was at the checkout. I had a nice exchange with him. One time the wife of the reigning minister was standing in a line next to me. I invited her to go ahead of me in line and she shyly accepted. The others around us were intently watching my behavior. Looking to go back soon with a large cooler.

My grandmothers family was "Pennsylvania Dutch". They migrated to Canada to a Mennonite district. My grandmother moved to Iowa and married grandpa, and they were part of the Aikers Mennonite district there. I have my dads Mennonite Cradle Roll. The Amish are an offshoot of the Mennonite. The reason for the split was the Mennonite were considered to be too worldly and fraternizing too much with non Mennonite, so the Amish came into being.

Interesting history there,, thanks. What is a Cradle Roll? A baby blanket or something?

@Gwendolyn2018 Some do and some dont. Depends on the ordinan and church district they are in, some of the lower ordinans are still horse and buggy. My dad was upset when I traded a horse off for a tractor, instead of buying a draft team.

@Captain_Feelgood I found a pic of my dads. I think it is just an acknowledgment of a new member of the community. They do not become a member of the Church until baptism as an adult. Usually late teens. This is really a beautiful and vibrant document. Dad was born in 1931.

@misstuffy Wow!! How cool is that... I find these old traditions soo interesting, even if they are religious.. Thanks for sharing.. 😁👍

@Gwendolyn2018 Yep, you have high order Amish driving in vans, bumpers painted black and you have low order Mennonite in buggies, if people in one ordinan don't agree with the rules, they may move to one they do agree with, or get enough families together to start a new one. But both the Amish and the Mennonite run the gamit of buggy to cars as far as modernity go. My grandmother had hair well past her hips, it was snow white, I never saw her in pants. She kept quoting Corinthians at me, ( the part about a womans hair being her crowning glory) I had talked mom into getting me a pixie cut when I was seven.

Interesting religion

bobwjr Level 10 June 21, 2021

It doesn't matter, their God is an evil brutal asshole.

One thing I can say about these types of theists, I do not know of an instance of any of them trying to force their beliefs on others in any way.

@Gwendolyn2018 That is it exactly. They do not see anyone else as worthy.

No thank you. Religious bullshit is just another type of the same old same old bullshit and as any shit, it stinks.

Nobody asking you to go join up with them.. It's just an educational video... 😏

@Captain_Feelgood Fuck that shit, join? Can't even watch bullshit, much less be stupid enough to be converted. If you enjoy so much watching bullshit be my guest. I don't and won't watch crap. Got a problem with that?

@Mofo1953 Pffffft... nope... Personally I don't give a shit what you do or don't watch... Like I said, it's just an educational kind of thing... If you don't like that kind of stuff,, no skin off my back. Can't say I'm that surprised at this point.. I really don't care. Again, like I said in the original post, 'you don't have to agree with their religious beliefs'.... So that's fine... stay ignorant for all I care.. Seriously,, try trolling somewhere else if you don't have anything pertinent to add to the conversation. HAND 😊👍

@Captain_Feelgood for someone who claims not to give a shit, your long and frankly imbecilic reply says otherwise.

What I would like to know from the Amish is, what is so special about the 19th century? Why is god OK with 19th century technology but not 20th? It's still 1900 years after Jesus. Seems arbitrary to me.

Much easier to practice the B.I.T.E. model on people and keep them brainwashed with little or no electric information and media technology.
Yet you can see then they have no problem with ophthalmology, and dentistry

A long history of covering up sexual abuse? Marrying off the impregnated young children to their rapists? Many of the individuals involved with organized crimes and drug trafficking?
Puppy mills?
Working a horse until it falls over dead?
Threatening young people who dare to dream of a different life that they will be banished forever from the only life and friends they have ever known?

But hey, they don't drive cars or have phones inside their houses so they must be wholesome, right?

Editing to add - The groups that traffic in the drugs justify it morally in that they only sell it to The English (that's anyone not Amish) because we are already all damned anyway.

But aren't they charming?

@LiberalAtheist Glorifying the Amish is just something that gets under my skin. I'll be fine. lol

@Sorcha Animals are valued only as long as they are profitable or working.

@Sorcha see my post about my escaped breeder girl, a reply to @Captain Feelgood parroting Amish dog mill CRAP!.........mine isstill with me, I am sad you lost yours....all they want is love, and food.

And here is part 2,,, even better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604616
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.