Agnostic.com

17 20

Pacific Northwest Heatwave is Buckling Roads and Melting Power Cables

My air conditioner died two days ago. My dear friend Billie kindly took me in. Today's high is 117 degrees.

Yesterday I spent two hours in my ninety-five degree home, waiting for the repairman. My clothes were soaked with sweat. Ironically, I had showered after working out at the YMCA.

"I'm going to take them first," Pedro said, pointing to my next-door neighbors.

"Changing the air filter often is the most important thing you can do to keep your air conditioner and furnace working," Pedro said. "If the air flow is clogged, the motor will burn out." He pulled out the clean air filter I had changed the day before.

Pedro replaced a part that runs the motor. Thank goodness he had the right part in his truck! The air conditioner worked. Hooray! Last night I slept again at Billie's house while my bed, furniture and home cooled down overnight.

As Pedro was leaving, I ran outside to give him a Hagen Daz ice cream bar. He was thrilled. Working twelve-hour days, he had two more stops to make.

Sadly, Pedro had to order a new compressor for my neighbors. Their air conditioning is still out. Hope they have a cool place to stay.

The Red Cross set up a cooling shelter at Town Toyota Center with cots for sleeping. People need to bring their own pillows and blankets.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is so hot,…

Glad your AC was an easy (cheap) fix. So far all my air conditioner repairs (I fix them myself) have been similar easy fixes. Been running the compressor a lot this year. Hope it survives a few more decades. The original owners of the house added air conditioning a few years before they died. Before that they just ran the upstairs furnace fan and drew cool air from the basement. That trick just doesn't work anymore as our summers are hotter then they were in the old days.

Your heat wave is heading my way so the next 6+ days they are predicting 90s+. We have already had several day over 100. Not normal for North Dakota this early in the year.

glad you're cooling down....sorry, you guys aren't used to this like Missouri is. There's still people without AC in the area. 100+ days are very common here in the summer and our humidity is always HIGH

Glad you got your à/c back. Red Cross shelters usually provide cots and blankets. This may be a special cooking shelter with different rules.

Having your filter plugged won't necessarily burn out your motor!! What is does, is in the summer having a very dirty filter it slows down the air flow across the coil which causes it to ice up, which in turn leads to no cool air coming out of the vents. If that happens just shut the system down for a day or 2 to melt the ice and replace the filter.

I live in Phoenix, AZ, it breaks 110 alot of the days of summer.

When I lived in Bothell, Tacoma, and Snohomish none of those houses had AC. Granted this was 20ish years ago. We built the house in Snohomish, it was finished in 1995, I think. We really didn't need AC except for a few days. Then we moved to Kansas.... oh yeah we had AC. I think about all the neighbors who didn't have AC and I really feel for them. I grew up in the Nebraska plains without AC. I know how much it sucks!

When we lived in Spokane it would get up above 100 most summers, but only a couple of days a year. I know that it is tough and hope it works out for you. We lost power here a few nights ago for about 3 hours and it was miserable, so my sympathies.

It was triple digit for 3 days here, a new record. I kept the AC set to 73F the whole time. The temperature is back to the low 80's now. Happy you got your AC fixed.

Back in 1980, when I was living in Kansas, we had an entire summer like that. We had over 30 consecutive days with 100 + degrees. I can remember arriving in Wichita from a flight at 10 PM-- and the temperature outside was still 105. On the drive home to Salina, there were prairie fires in sight the entire 90 mile trip. Patches on t-125 buckles from the heat, and asphalt country roads turned to a tarry goo.

@wordywalt

Yes, asphalt roads and parking lots are tarry glue. Don't step in it.

Hmmm..."protective head gear guy", "broken A/C" and "117°F" ... YOUR ON A ROLL ... 😳🤢😰 😂

We lived up there 10 years and my wife and I don't ever remember having AC. Just yesterday we were saying we must have dodged a bullet. I guess we were lucky in that most of the time we were wedged between Bellevue Slough and Lake Washington.

It's strange. And now that we're back in AZ we're back in a relatively cool climate. Prescott and Flagstaff north of us are often the coolest two cities on the TV news state weather map. Now if we can stay out of the dry climate fires...🙂

I'm very glad your AC was repaired and that it was a pretty simple fix.🤗
Heat and cool seem to be some of those things that can drift loose in mild climates until they suddenly bite you.🤔

RichCC Level 8 June 29, 2021

I really feel your pain... I don't miss the hot and humid Midwest summers at all. It is sunny and 63 degrees F outside my house in Wasilla Alaska right now and we might hit 70 F today. I prefer our short cool sunny summers more every year as I see the lower 48 states cooking each summer with drought conditions everywhere. Our summers are warmer and dryer than when I moved here 30 years ago. You do see climate change more dramatically in the Arctic. Glaciers are melting away at an astonishing rate. If you want to see those iconic icebergs calving into the sea from a tour boat - make it soon. All Tidewater Glaciers will be gone soon - in our lifetime... The permafrost is melting too and that will dramatically change the tundra and much of Alaska geology. Releasing trapped methane and along with the retreating Arctic Sea Ice will accelerate Global warming out of control - we are at the edge of the tipping point with no end in sight.

Think we've already slipped passed the tipping point. More then one positive feedback loop has been triggered: the methane, from melting permafrost, methane hydrates now bubbling away, and the significant albedo effect of melting sea ice - - -

So glad that all worked out for you! It was 116' outside (94' inside my house) yesterday, and cooled down to 80' by about 10pm as this heat dome moves eastward, more toward you, sorry! 95' today is sounding great, I've been soaking my plantings with the sprinkler to revive them. There was a CNN article on how our "no AC bliss" here is over, so I'm making plans.

I cannot IMAGINE it's so hot up there in the "cold northland" from which I escaped a few years ago. Meanwhile, we haven't been over 89 in almost a week. (Nice cool breeze coming in off the Gulf.)

mischl Level 8 June 29, 2021

Wow! I hope it ends soon. I know some older folks out that way.

RCRX87 Level 4 June 29, 2021

Glad you are ok was worried

bobwjr Level 10 June 29, 2021

@bobwjr

Thank you, Bob.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606193
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.