Agnostic.com

18 2

Word mispronunciation

What word mispronunciation drives you completely insane?

Loves_Puppies 4 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tomato.

It’s more replacing a real word with a not real word, but irregardless drives me nuts. Not. A. Real. Word.

Going back to the point of the original post and mispronunciations.
How about how Americans insist Iraq be pronounced Eye Wrack, when even Iraqis pronounce it Iraq?
Same goes for Iran.
And don't even get me started on calling Arabs, Ay Rabbs, but still saying they come from Arabia.
There is also the annoying lazy habit some people have of pronouncing t as d in order to sound hip. I am not Briddish, I am British, John, Paul, George and Ringo were the Beatles NOT the Beadles, personally I think it make them sound like a right tid!

And "Moscow" to rhyme with "now", not "no".

The one right now on the top of my list is "recognize." People have done a G-ectomy!!! They pronounce it recanize. This makes me crazy, especially when I hear it from actors on TV or movies.

When people pronounce "awesome" as "asshole" when describing me.

Upvoted for modesty

When someone says they did a 360. So you just went right back to where you used to be??

LOL

I'm dealing with my own words trying to find them.

Not a mispronunciation, but using 'like' in a phatic way.
Edit: and may I add, Americans who pronounce "bouy" as "boo-ee"? They have no excuse as they're perfectly capable of pronouncing "bouyancy".

Pronunciation of "Sean" as "seen" makes me crazy. Not many pronunciations bother me as many of them are cultural in nature and can be correctly pronounced a few ways. Grammar and spelling are my bugaboos. Americans in particular seem to be proud of their ignorance in grammar and spelling. It matters. It makes a difference in whether you are hired for a job.

This is the classic especially when talking about the actor Sean Bean
Is it Seen Been or Shaun Baun 😉

Ask. No you can't axe me something.
And finance. Some people here pronounce it feenance uuuugh

Aks for ask
Ek cetera for et cetera
Supposably for supposedly
Close for clothes
Libary for library
New-clee-er for nuclear
Real-a-ter for realtor
Your for you’re

Yes, words are one of my quirks.

New-clee-er is the right pronunciation. Nu-cular drives me nuts. Cough cough W!

@Jenmcjen Thanks! I did my annoying one wrong. What I meant was basically what you wrote: nuke-U-ler (three distinct syllables). That bugs me.

Doesn't bother me-I'm either too laid back to worry or it isn't a world crisis.

None, l ain't that picky.

Irregardless instead of regardless
Unthaw instead of thaw

I am more aggrieved by the misuse of inappropriate words, than I am by their mispronunciation:
For example, people using the word Jealous, when they mean envious, using the word awful when then mean appalling, wicked when they mean terrific, axed when they mean asked (though that one does fall in to mispronunciation too) and so on.
It does annoy me when American pronunciations of originally words from other languages and over stress the wrong syllable or soften the wrong letter such as in
BIRmingHam for BirmING'm, Asshole for arse hole,
Or even use entirely wrong words and reassign their meanings

Pedophile (ped meaning Foot) actually means a lover of feet, when they mean Paedophile (paedo meaning child or young boy) a lover of children

The classic bugbear for me is using the suffix -ize when they mean -ise and claiming it is just an alternate spelling, it is not.

-ize means to render or make
-ise is used to indicate a quality, condition, or function

Hence
Realise = to understand
Realize= to make real.

Hospitalise= to be put in hospital for treatment
Hospitalize = to be altered for use in a hospital

Americanize = to make American
Americanise = to affect the qualities of America

I agree with a lot of this. Notably, jealous v. Envious.

Similarly I notice many people use “I feel” in place of “I think” or “I believe.”

Aren't these differences in spellings rather than pronunciations, though? Some are correctly spelled with "se" in the U.K. and "ze" in the U.S., but either is incorrect.

Some of these I take issue with: "American pronunciations of originally words from other languages and over stress the wrong syllable or soften the wrong letter such as in BIRmingHam for BirmING'm, Asshole for arse hole"

Those are correct pronunciations in American English. Some are affected by the accent of a region, but are nevertheless correct, just like the U.K. tendency to stick a "u" in the middle of words like "colour" when spelling it. Just because it's pronounced differently does not make it wrong. The dictionary even shows both as correct.

@hemingwaykitten read my post, I did address exactly this point.

@hemingwaykitten There is no such thing as American English, there is English and there is incorrect

@LenHazell53 Ah, now you're showing your true colors! American English is alive and well. Look in a dictionary and you will find two spellings and pronunciations of these words you have complained about. I bet you still say "the Colonies!" Rude, Len, rude.

@Bierbasstard Exactly! Just as the Australians and Canadians have their own versions, but Len neglected to complain about those.

@LenHazell53 I obviously did read your post, and you're wrong. French is the same, Canadian French is different from that spoken in the Ivory Coast, and both are different from Parisian French. If you're going to leave colonies scattered throughout the world, don't be surprised when "English" changes!

A classic example, in the news right now, is when your representative at the United Nations was said to be "confused". She certainly wasn't. She was "confounded" (and probably dumbfounded to boot!)
By the way, it is very often the case that the colony retains a purer version of the original language than the mother country. Thus, South American countries speak a version of Spanish closer to that which was spoken in Spain 300 years ago. The same applies to English, although it has also "evolved" (been corrupted by?) the influence of the languages spoken by the many immigrants from other cultures.
English spellings are, like French spellings, vestiges of a previous era. hence colour from the French couleur. The original Americans also used colour, but then the spelling simplified. However, why did the Americans remove the i from, and then mis-pronounce, Aluminium? (They don't talk about Cadmum, Selenum, etc.)

@hemingwaykitten So far as -ize and -ise are concerned I am not wrong, might I suggest you read a dictionary too (Oh and not Webster's, because when a country has to rewrite the dictionary to justify its own lazy use of a mother tongue they may as well have simply admitted their mistake in the first place, it would have saved time and a lot of trees.)

@hemingwaykitten The vast majority of Canadian and Australasian (Australia does not stand alone) are more in line with Traditional English than the USA. South African English speakers I will grant you are farther away than you "Colonials" are but they at least don't claim to actually speak English but an Afrikaans/Dutch/English hybrid at one time known as the language of the Boers.

@hemingwaykitten

"Rude, Len, rude."

I believe you meant to accuse me of being : ill-mannered, bad-mannered, impolite or, uncivil.
Rude connotes either ignorant, uneducated or vulgar in that I had said something sexually or morally inappropriate.

@Bierbasstard I am not offended by the language spoken in the USA and have no ire, other than to be of the opinion that it is NOT English in any form, it is a language in spelling, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation that evolved from English and which completely ignores the etymology of English when randomly assigning meanings to words with no lexicographically historical substantiation.
I do object to the importation of "American" as English and the enforced acceptance in Great Britain of "alternate spelling" and "alternate pronunciations" when it is no such thing and is in fact another language the adoption of which has caused the degradation of the actual English language in England.

In short all I ask is stop calling it "American English" when it clearly is no such thing, call it what it is "United States American."

By the way Bastardisation is spelled with an S not a Z even in America, it is only spelled with a Z in Australia.

Amercans are the biggest culprits here !

I am not a "culprit!" I speak American English. Are you guys 200 years old? Where do you pinpoint "correct" English? Chaucer? Shakespeare? Oh no! It has to be as YOU learned it. WRONG!

@hemingwaykitten English is English. Slang doe not apply !

@hemingwaykitten
"Where do you pinpoint "correct" English?"

From Dr. Samuel Johnson the noted linguist, the widely accepted father of philology and author of the first accepted lexicographical and etymological dictionary of the English language, with word analysis of meaning and origin of English word from their Latin, Greek, French, Anglo Saxon and Normandic roots.
I am surprised you did not know this.

No word pronuncement drives me "insane" or even bothers me at all. Irregardless is just a noticeable misuse of a word that immediately comes to mind, but meh.

As long as I understand what a person means, I am not bothered hardly at all by mispronounciations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60621
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.