Agnostic.com

3 4

These days, we see multiple examples of people who are “true believers” of questionable ideology, both political and religious, who label information they disagree with as “theory”. The questions are: What are they doing and why are they trying to do that?

Two prime examples are Christians called evolution a theory, and conservatives and ethnocentrists talking about “critical race theory.”Neither use of the term theory is factually accurate. In the first example, Evolution is not a theory. It is a scientifically proven fact Christians use the term “theory” to try to denigrate the facts of evolution, as they believe that it goes against their theology.

The fact is that they do not know what a theory is. A theory is not wild speculation drawn from thin air, nor is it and hypothesis. Rather, a theory is based on substantial proven scientific facts and those facts are used to go a step farther to explain some events and facts observed. It is infallible 100 percent true without exception. Neither are so-called scientific principles. As new studies are done and new data derived, many scientific principles are disproven or modified. On the other hand, religious “principles” and dogma are not grounded in factual observations and data, and have no proof of validity. They are not worthy of being called “theories.”

The second example is the use of the “deliberately bogus term. “critical race theory.” Just like the Christians, ethnocentrists and right wing figures try to use the term they created to diminish or denigrate proven facts. The effort is entirely bogus at its core. Om most cases, however, I do believe that many of them know what a real theory is, but that does not stop them from using the term totally falsely and inappropriately.

So, any time you hear a religious or political figure using the term “theory” to try to diminish adherence to reality, BEWARE!! Somebody is trying to snooker you.

wordywalt 9 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When Christians or the GOP use the word "theory" they do so as if it is just an idea someone came up with. It means as much as a claim that the moon is made of green cheese.

There is of course the problem that the popular usage of the word 'theory' is different from the scientific usage. In popular usage, 'theory' has more or less the the same meaning as 'hypothesis', but in science it is a technical term, meaning a former hypothesis, which has been raised to a higher level because it is now supported by experimental and /or other empirical evidence.

In part it is just the sort of confusion people get into when they think of words having meanings, when words do not have meanings only usages, which vary according to context. The problem is that some people of course welcome and will even try to promote misunderstanding.

OMG, the governor of Nebraska is highly critical of CRT. Well, since I first saw his ads on TV when he was runninng for governor, I was highly critical of him. And he has proved time and again that I was right. He's a republican a$$ kisser.

I can remember when there were more than a few Republicans who were men of honor. It appears more and more that those days are gone.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.