Agnostic.com

3 14

LINK Freethought of the Day

I didn't realize this existed until this morning. Birthdays and bios of famous Humanists including Adam Savage of Mythbusters, and Linda Ronstadt. 4 others are on the list.

Adam Savage
On this date in 1967, Adam Savage was born in New York City. Savage was raised in North Tarrytown, N.Y., now known as Sleepy Hollow. “I'm actually the fourth generation in my family to have no practical use for the church, or God, or religion. My children continue this trend,” Savage said in a speech to Harvard humanists in April 2010.

He worked as an actor when he was a child, but started working in special effects when he was 19. Savage constructed mechanical effects for theatrical productions and worked as a model maker on several films, including the new "Star Wars" movies and "Space Cowboys," before being offered the opportunity from the Discovery Channel to create and host the show “Mythbusters” with Jamie Hyneman, another special effects veteran.

On “Mythbusters,” Savage and Hyneman, along with their staff, investigate myths and rumors through experimentation. Though “Mythbusters” does not investigate claims about the supernatural, as they are often non-disprovable, Savage and Hyneman are both openly nonreligious. Savage received the Harvard Humanist Chaplaincy's Lifetime Achievement Award in Cultural Humanism in 2010.

In 2017 he was named the American Humanist Association's Humanist of the Year. The following year, he received FFRF's Emperor Has No Clothes Award in recognition of his “plain speaking” as a public figure on the shortcomings of religion.

“The idea of an ordered and elegant universe is a lovely one. One worth clinging to. But you don't need religion to appreciate the ordered existence. It's not just an idea. It's reality. We're discovering the hidden orders of the universe every day. The inverse square law of gravitation is amazing. Fractals, the theory of relativity, the genome: these are magnificently beautiful constructs.”

—Savage, accepting the Harvard Humanist Chaplaincy's achievement award (April 2010)

HippieChick58 9 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some of those “magnificently beautiful constructs” exist only in mathematicians’ minds and their “elegant” equations. Dark matter, black holes, neutron stars, inflation, and more.

The Big Bang, intended by LeMaitre to support the Genesis story, is not science. It’s religion.

Interesting…thanks for sharing.

Interesting. Now where is Linda Ronstadt? 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.