Agnostic.com

7 10

Oregon fisherman lost 17 days in woods without supplies describes his ordeal.

He's lucky to be alive! What a fool. When found by rescuers, he was severely dehydrated and had hypothermia. His kidneys and feet are permanently damaged. He wore sandals. When he saw snow on the trail, why didn't he turn back?

The test of my day pack: "Can I survive if I get lost or injured?" I am always prepared.

An a "experienced outdoorsman," Harry Burleigh, 69 went into detail about how he found a hike that was meant to be an “in and out,” but turned into an ordeal that he didn’t prepare for.

“I dropped all of my protocols that I would normally follow,” he said. “I didn’t implement the seven P’s: Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.”

Burleigh emphasized how leaving extra supplies behind, even a water bottle, made the situation even more challenging. No hat, map, headlamp, fire starter, water purifying tablets, food or water.

“It sounds funny, but it’s so true. You gotta take those kind of considerations when going out in Nature,” he said. “And if you’re not prepared for it, she’ll hammer you.”

He took a wrong turn; the trail was full of snow. Wore sandals. No map. He bushwhacked downhill to find the lake. It wasn't there. He was in a deep valley with heavy tree cover.

It was snowing. He slipped, hit his head and hurt his ankle. Slept under a fallen tree. With no water bottle, purifying tablets, hat, food or water. He lapped from muddy puddles and ate grubs floating in puddles. Got weaker each day.

Severely dehydrated with hypothermia, he hallucinated a beautiful waterfall up on a ridge. With frostbitten feet, he hobbled and crawled up to a ridge. No waterfall. Again, he lapped from a muddy puddle and ate grubs. Could not start a fire.

More than two hundred volunteers assisted in the search for Burleigh in the Calf Creek area, ranging from trained mountain rescue and ground searchers, K-9s to eyes in the sky via both plane and helicopter.

Eventually searchers located a makeshift shelter and a fishing tackle box they identified as belonging to Burleigh. They left Burleigh some supplies, a lighter, asked Burleigh to start a fire, and left a note that said “we will be back tomorrow to get you.”

[msn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's aobut a dozen persons who die in Oregon wilderness and parks each year. It is mostly city folk who are not prepared.

Think of all the man hours and energy expended to rescue this fool. Good grief. Dementia maybe?

How in the hell do you get lost in Oregon for 17 days?? Pick a direction and start walking, you can't be more than a few days walk from some form of civilization, be it a highway, town, ranch or farm.

@Dhiltong

He took a wrong turn; the trail was full of snow. Wore sandals. No map. He bushwhacked downhill to find the lake. It wasn't there. He was in a deep valley with heavy tree cover.

It was snowing. He slipped, hit his head and hurt his ankle. Slept under a fallen tree. With no water bottle, purifying tablets, hat, food or water. He lapped from muddy puddles and ate grubs floating in puddles. Got weaker each day.

Severely dehydrated with hypothermia, he hallucinated a beautiful waterfall up on a ridge. With frostbitten feet, he hobbled and crawled up to a ridge. No waterfall. Again, he lapped from a muddy puddle and ate grubs. Could not start a fire.

Eventually, he was spotted by a rescue helicopter.

@LiterateHiker It was an ordeal for sure, but he made some bad decisions.

@LiterateHiker Being a self described ‘experienced outdoorsman’ was probably not in his best interest,.

I know from your posts how much you prepare, and recognize it (and tell us) when you are missing something. So I know this resonates with you

i got lost in a big mall once.

Luckily his training kept him alive long enough to be rescued

bobwjr Level 10 July 16, 2021

Wow. Lucky and idiot are the two operative words.
Why do people so often leave their brains behind when they go out in the woods?

RichCC Level 8 July 16, 2021

...because they are not fully charged for the rescue. Sandals in the snow? No water bottle? Experienced outdoorsman? Something smells of bullshit!

@Paganlyl
People just make too many assumptions heading in.

It wasn't out trail walking, but a Ranger once described to me a situation he saw where a woman near Valley Forge slipped on the road and lost her couch off a bridge onto some river ice. 'Save my couch' she cried at him.
'I'm sorry but I'm not going to risk my people or my equipment for your furniture' was his only reply. He said it was all he could do to keep from saluting as they watched it go down.
But he knew that wouldn't go well with her.

Nobody plans an accident. All you can do is keep failsafe actions available in case things don't work out as you intended. Always have an out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.