Agnostic.com

10 14

A modern interpretation of West African Polyrhythms dating back over 1,000 years

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Helps if you sway back and forth slightly while listening. 🙂

jeffy Level 7 Apr 20, 2018

thank you! i love this - as i love dancing freeform & tribal style 🙂

Interesting timing. I finally accepted an invitation to attend a local Kurtan event. Some people really like the chanting and I thought I should try it and that it would be relaxing. It was just the opposite. Trying to chant words I could not read (it was in Sanscript-Hindi) and the constant loud repition drove me crazy. A number of years ago we were staying with a friend. A woman showed up with 2 kids and was given the bedroom we were to stay in (I didn't know this was a safe house and the woman was escaping from an abusive husband) so we had to stay on a sofa bed in the den. Some friends were there playing drums. It was loud and went on and on and I was feeling rilled up. It dawned on me that often this kind of thing is played by natives just before they are to go on a war mission. For some of us the constant low frequency sounds hit a part of the brain that can push negative reactions. I know I am weird.

@VictoriaNotes I knew there was something to my negative response to some music/sounds. So I'm not crazy (at least not in this matter). Thanks for reconfirming something I suspected. I prefer music that inspires and motivates me for positive things.

@VictoriaNotes I agree and I recognize this. It is why I try to stay away from angry or what I think of as negative music. I prefer to be manipulated into inspiration and stress reduction. I just discovered I have gastritis. I have had it before and, going back to our first discussions, stress hits me in the stomach. Luckily we have good medical facilities here and there are things I can and will do to alleviate this issue. Outdoor activities are ramping up now and that helps.

@VictoriaNotes Interesting. Remember the Beethoven piece that I once posted? To me that was a kind of heavy classical piece and I like to turn it up and it really helps release feelings. Again, thank you.

Music is the soul provider

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

Victoria, you always surprise me with your posts!! WOW!! I love the drums! I can't stop moving!!!!

GOOD stuff!

Wow, that was great! Thanks!

An amazing display of cultural tradition. It is one thing to study history, quite another to experience it. Thank you for sharing all of our heritage.

This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing it.

Duke Level 8 Apr 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61106
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.