Agnostic.com

59 5

Do you believe in Karma?

I believe in Karma. Around 20 years ago my first wife and I were going through a divorce. I said something mean about her to a friend. An hour later I broke my thumb. It might be a coincidence but I won't chance it anymore.

ebdb 7 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I believed in karma, I would also have to believe in reincarnation because there's no way I've done enough bad shit in this lifetime to deserve what I've encountered in life so far. (That's not me feeling sorry for myself. It's just a simple statement of fact. And, no, I won't be detailing my woes.) Also, there are some truly vile people out there who seem to cruise through life "blessed." So, no, karma is BS.

vita Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

Karma, No.
Sounds more like a classic example of the "Texas sharpshooter fallacy" This is the same fallacy that allows religious people to believe in prayer. i.e. prayer works because "insert observation here" and ignore all the other instances that do not support this belief. [en.wikipedia.org]

What? No! If I do something good then something good will happen to me? If I do something bad then something bad will happen to me? And what is the mechanism? How can one thing be connected to the other? Is there a time frame? Is there a table of equivalences? And how do I know I am doing something good/bad? If I kill someone, is it bad? If that someone was about to commit murder, then I did good? Ask the mother of the guy. But then ask the one that was going to be murdered. Or ask a judge. Or ask Trump (that’s a good one). Wait! This IS the agnostic site, right? So, why am I explaining so much?! The answer that comes from reason is... NO! Karma? NO. Find other ways to feel good about life... like... like... sex, for instance! But karma? ... karma? And don’t give me the John Lennon thing. On that one he was wrong!! : )

Eastern version of heaven and he'll. dharma maybe..if it means you feel what you sew or create your own heaven and he'll here and now or soon down the road

Geez I hope so. My ex-wife stole over $100,000 from me in the divorce. She still owes me nearly $80,000.

No, I don't. I wish it did, but of course the bad people are often the rich, successful people, and researchers who studied past lives never found a karma effect from one life to another.

@Sealybobo LOL! If there were Karma, Trump would be homeless and penniless after all the workers, students, and companies he's cheated. Ah..I LOVE the idea of Karma, but sadly..doesn't happen.

Firm "no" on this one. Although it is a truism that "what goes around comes around."

20 years !!!????...... ?????

20 years !!!????...... ?????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.