Agnostic.com

59 5

Do you believe in Karma?

I believe in Karma. Around 20 years ago my first wife and I were going through a divorce. I said something mean about her to a friend. An hour later I broke my thumb. It might be a coincidence but I won't chance it anymore.

ebdb 7 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, life is what you make it.

Categorically, no.

No.

Seph Level 6 Apr 19, 2018

Karma is the same fictional bullshit as anything else.

Where was karma when Hitler gassed millions? Took a few years to catch up?

How about all the unsolved rapes, murders? Just waiting for karma to kick in?

It's utter nonsense, another placebo.

There's been too many horrible people out there that have lived long happy lives and far too many innocents that have met their demise early for me to ever believe in it.

I don't know if it's real or not but I like to believe it is and it's actually got some fucking sense about it so that it knows who truly deserves to be rewarded with some and who doesn't. For instance, there is a show that my wife watches called "Dance Moms" and the lady on there ended up going to prison (I don't know her name and you don't want to know what I refer to her as). Anyway, she's always so rude to the girls in her class and their mothers. She's a disgusting individual. She's in prison currently for tax evasion I believe. Anyway, my wife just informed me that she was found to have lymphoma....karma? I like to think so. If you treat people like shit you deserve to have a shitty life. Now, those people who are NOT shit bags and have horrible things happen to them in their lives (perhaps me being happy that she's got lymphoma makes me a horrible person too! I don't know), I feel sorry for those people. If you try to be good to other people and you have bad things happen to you, I don't like to think it's karma...in those cases, I think badly of the entity known as god.

I think when we are careless with others, we may be more likely to be careless with ourselves. If I am a person, my attitude towards people is going to logically have a relationship to my attitude towards myself. Bullies and victims both suffer side effects from abuse that interfere with their lives. People who see themselves and helpful to those around them, tend to feel better. If that is karma, then I guess I do believe in that. [randomactsofkindness.org]

I feel comfort with that explanation and agreement.

It is a temptingly satisfying thing to think, that good things are rewarded cosmicly and bad things punished. Christians like the idea of Hell for the same reasons, their enemies get the stick and they get the carrot. But no, I don't believe in karma or any other cosmic force of justice. The universe is impersonal and uncaring and we humans have to make our own justice or it won't exist.

To be perfectly literal, I think that Gremattersuit has it right when he said "I believe in self-fulfilling prophesies, affirmation bias, and cognitive feedback loops"

Most versions of Karma are utterly tied up in Dharma (fate), so if you're up for one...

I would also add that the western sort-of version of Karma is Calvinism (good things happen to good people...). This is the plot of most every Disney film ever made. I still love the Lion King, but is that how you wish to see?

Not Karma. Ur own misguided energy. Maybe on an unconscious level, punishing urself

I was coaching a kids spring ball practice and I was in the outfield. When I went to catch a high fly ball I used my right (ungloved) hand to help catch it. The ball hit the top of my thumb and it smashed the end into a bunch of pieces. To this day my right thumb is much larger than my left. I didn't mean to do it, but it could be on an unconscious level.

Sort of....maybe. I kinda go with what goes around comes around but that's the law of averages really. Haven't really helped the argument here lol

I don't believe in karma, but I still behave as if it were true. It is just being a descent hunan being, so thee really is no great effort required.

Probably NOT a fixed Law of Nature (not so sure about that thumb thing), but I DO believe that, other things being even, good people will catch a break and be treated more kindly more often than liars, cheats and bullies. But SOME liars, cheats and bullies, because they have no rules, have ways to buy themselves out of their jams (one orange example comes to mind) some of the time. Or more.

Perhaps you felt guilty about saying something mean. Your "accident" was really your subconscious mind punishing you for criticizing your wife.

So what is karma Every action there is a reaction So if you do bad you receive something bad if you did good you will perceive good so I guess I believe and yeah why do I need to wait for karma I rather be living in the present and doing better every time I do something

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

"Good intent and good deed contribute to good karma and future happiness, while bad intent and bad deed contribute to bad karma and future suffering". Wikipedia

I think that this suggests that fate is not blind, but rather that we have a role to play, that what we do makes us complicit in the outcomes we realize in our own life. While we may not be able to control what will happen, our acts are not inconsequential what does happen.

cava Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

Yes, I guess, but mostly it takes too long, and I get impatient.

No - anything happens for no good reason its why life is so weird.

I'm not a firm believer in it at all but technically anything is possible so I am always open to the fact that I could be wrong.

...keep reading that question around here.. No, not in ‘a cosmic sense.’ Though obviously, bad behavior has consequences. I’ll have a dangerous move pulled on me in traffic, any more (older & wiser), I control myself … knowing - some day that move’s going to be pulled on someone incapable of controlling themself.. Karma? No, just a meeting of minds 😉

Varn Level 8 Apr 19, 2018

I wish I did but no.

Lol karma by the definition you present (by example)? no, not even a little bit. karma as in remote and seemingly random cause and effect? yeah. for example: i am reading a book but the phone rings so i put the book down and it falls on the floor and the dog eats some of the pages. a friend comes over to borrow that book but it's been destroyed so she borrows a different one instead, and the book she borrowed instead makes her mad and she throws it at her boyfriend, who leaves her because she is always throwing things at him and that was the last straw. he takes up with someone else and they have a child, and the child grows up to be a brute who murders women. so women died because my phone rang. it's true and silly at the same time. it's just cause and effect and it's not a matter of people getting punished or rewarded for their behavior by some kind of "fate."

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.