Agnostic.com

9 6

POLL When a Muslim Woman Was Harassed at a Store, Bystanders Came to Her Defense | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Santa Monica, California is a pretty liberal city.

If you saw a Muslim beign harassed, would you speak up in his/her defense?

• 55 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 7 votes
snytiger6 9 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Harassment is harassment, I don't care what your beliefs are regarding religion. Live and let live.

Amen (pardon the pun)

It's inexcusable for this to happen to her I will always help her

Not much of a human being if you don't take a stand against bullies, IMO

I would come to her defense because the ones harassing her most likely do not know what they are talking about. I have no problems with Muslims. Of course, in Africa the male Muslim taxi driver kept looking at me because my ex was putting him through hell. I'm sure he wanted me as the man to come to his rescue. 🙂 I didn't know the language or the territory.

Hell Yes! Asian, Hispanic, Muslim, whatever. People need to wake up and realize that not standing up to racists and fascists eventually comes to bite everyone in the ass who is not a white male straight Christian in the US. Plus, I just love to confront assholes, whether it's on my behalf or on the side of someone else who is being harassed or bullied. I only regret that I didn't have the guts to do it when I was a kid and being bullied myself.

What @redbai says.

I would come to the defense of a Muslim woman, but not a Muslim man.

Not all Muslim men are misogynistic psychopaths.

Moreover, I could not give a damn about any social victim's gender, religion or ethnicity: the aggressor needs to be shut down.

I don't give shit number one what anyone believes or about their lifestyle. If someone else enters the scene and behaves like an idiot, I step in. We are all free to believe what we want. I may not agree, but I am not going to berate someone else for their beliefs. It works for them. If someone becomes aggressive toward another over a topic with no facts to back them up, I stand up for anyone being attacked.

Depends on how they are handling it. If they looked distressed at the situation I probably would say something in their defense, but if they started dealing with it in a way that displayed that they could handle it on their own, I would simply observe to witness the outcome in case the scenario changed. Maybe even turn on my phone.

Some are perfectly capable of defending themselves, they just need to know that they will be supported by those around them who are witnessing unfair treatment.

redbai Level 8 July 30, 2021

Having read your response, I would hope I'd behave the same way.

@KKGator From what I know of you, I have every confidence that you would behave that way.

@anglophone Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.