Agnostic.com

7 3

First Date Question

I've actually been on many many hundreds of dates between high school and into my 30s. Times change and so do the "rules'.
So I met this guy on Match, he wasn't physically attractive to me but in the past people have become more attractive with time. He also had a short grey and white beard.
After a Miata ride to a mountain where we couldn't see anything due to the unwelcome fog. The ride is treacherous to undersides of cars and a few rocks bounced and I scraped some area of sand. Not a big deal.
He filled my half tank of gas for me I did not ask him to do that but it was really nice but put me in a weird position, then lunch he also insisted on paying. I've told people this stuff and they say "Don't let him pay, get your money out and hand it to the waitress." I get it but I forgot to ask for separate checks ate salad and forgot to look at price.
Anyways we get back to my house and I tell him all the art on the walls are mine, NO COMMENT. Then since I was up at 4am I told him I needed a nap. He holds both arms out, I'm thinking "HUG" he's probably thinking "KISS". For one thing he loves Donnie 45, and voted for him 2x. His animals (from the past) he didn't treat the way I would & the beard. So 3 strikes against him in MY HEAD.
Was a hug enough? Should he have expected a kiss? Cuz he bought gas and lunch? What was he paying for exactly?
See I never really dated a person outside NH because I wouldn't know them like I know the NH guys. I allow the unknown guys to make most of the decisions unless it's too irritating or immature or whatever.

Kiss or Hug?

• 6 votes
  • 13 votes
K9Kohle789 8 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What's "NH" ?

twill Level 7 Aug 3, 2021

@twill

New Hampshire?

@LiterateHiker I'm guessing so too

Shake hands he's a MAGA asshole

Because he bought gas and lunch? Only if you're selling hugs and kisses. Just because a guy volunteers to pay for something does not mean a woman owes him anything. Business transactions are normally discussed before they happen.
For me, learning that he voted for Trump even once would end the date immediately. Not interested in someone with an amoral character.
It's really prudent and safer to keep all early dates on neutral ground with other people present, and never let the guy even know where you live until you have gotten to know one another. Remember Ted Bundy was a very charming guy.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 3, 2021

Handshake is all, especially after his past with Donnie

A nice firm handshake will give him the correct message.

I would never waste my time on a Trumper, once I knew their politics. As for general rules on dating, I usually settle for or initiate a hug at the end of the first in person meeting, which is usually for coffee. I offer to walk them out to their car and do the hug there, if they are comfortable with it. The man should try to read the woman before that moment for what they seem to be up for or wanting. I know from my point of view, it's really great and helpful if the woman gives some signal about wanting a hug by opening their arms towards me at that time to make it clear they are interested in a hug. I rarely attempt a kiss at the goodbye unless the woman has really been putting out some signals that they are attracted to me, like playing with their hair, looking intently and warmly into my eyes, moving closer across the table, etc.

I always meet first for coffee, like I said, and I always offer to pay for it, but if the woman insists on paying for hers, I respect that and let her do so. I don't believe in any of that stuff about a woman "owing" a man anything, whether it's sex, a hug, or a kiss for buying her anything, whether that is a coffee or a meal. But I do avoid meeting first for a meal instead of coffee, because I have learned from experience there are plenty of selfish, cynical women out there who agree to meet a man for a meal, just so they can enjoy the ego trip of getting a free meal and playing a game on him of never seeing him again or savoring his one-sided interest in them while for her the man is just a meal ticket and ego stroke of being wanted and not giving him sex, as he expected, in payment for the meal. I even had a former massage therapist, who I dropped after finding out she was a Trumper, that confided in me how she would play this game for free meals a lot when she was younger and single.

Online dating is a jungle out there, Lonnie, and I am on Match now, just like you. I wish you the best and your best is all you can do. So much of it is pure luck and beating the very uphill odds of meeting someone compatible who is smart and offbeat enough to choose you over all the competition that is there on paid dating sites like Match. For what's worth, even tho you are several years older than me, if you lived in my area, I would be eager to meet you.

@K9Kohle789 I think that is very true, Lonnie. Many of Trump's low level aides have realized by now they will not only have a hard time getting sex from most women after being on the Trump team, and those same guys are probably also having a hard time getting new jobs with their Trump history on their resume, so in both cases, these guys are prone to lying about their Trump associations so they can meet their needs for sex or employment. So my advice is don't trust until you have verified.

No. A hug was too much. We should not engage physically in ANY way, if we do not want to do so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.