Agnostic.com

5 5

This pisses me off our US Nuclear Regulatory Commission just straight up refused to investigate this perfect solution to our energy needs. God damn I hate conservative bean counters and politicians, they have NO technical insight or risk assessment skills.

Willow_Wisp 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Before jumping on the nuclear bandwaggon just investigate how many reactors have been successfully decommissioned and the cost of doing so, let alone the problem of spent fuel rods. The figures might give you a different perspective on the overall cost of nuclear power.

Thorium MSR reactors eat nuclear waste.
Take your own advise so you know what you’re talking about.
Thorium isn’t fissile unless exposed to atomic waste. Pile up a mountain of it and it’s stable, Throw some waste on it and it becomes fissile.
We could feed them all our waste, clean up our atomic waste and get energy at the same time.

Nuclear is the best solution we have to get rid of our carbon emissions problem. We have the technology to do it right, we just need to spend the money to do it right.

We’ve only known the way for 60 years!

This sounds like a good energy source that needs o be investigated and developed.

That's what I've been screaming since I got out of the Navy in 1982.
I was supposed to be a successful and wealthy nuclear engineer but I was born too early I suppose.
I'll just have to write software until I die now.

Unless the U.S. can break free of the choke hold that conservatives have on this country we will continue to slip further and further behind in technology and education until our only real relevance is that of a mass of moronic consumers and warm bodies for the military.

Don't get me wrong, the old Liberal nuke hatred was part of it, Jane Fonda in the China Syndrome poisoned a lot of minds. Interestingly it was the only time in history that Conservatives, Liberals, and Oil Companies all agreed that nuclear power was bad. You pretty much know you're on the wrong side of history when Oil companies agree with your protest.
Thorium MSRs however address all the environmental and radioactive decay issues that aren't addressed in conventional plants, but people hear nuclear and turn off their brains. My stepmother was concerned that the electricity from a nuclear plant in her area might be radioactive. So we're talking about a very low information population when we consider US policy issues.

Well another case of us shooting our selves in the head. We are getting good at it. Real good. We get more money back from scientific research, unfortunately the Conservatives want to make their investment in bibbles. Of course, they may at some time in the future come to realize that one has to know to read to use a bubble, but then I digress.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.