Agnostic.com

16 14

Does fixing something make you feel good?

Yesterday I replaced worn dishcloths. The new ones were way too large to drape over the sink faucet where they dry quickly.

So, I cut off three inches on one side, turning them into rectangles. Hemmed with the sewing machine. Got all four done. TA DA!

Related question:

What's with American oversizing? Food portions, furniture, houses, etc.

Instead of a massive couch, I bought a love seat big enough to sleep on. Perfect.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And then there's downsizing. Selling the same products in smaller packages for the same price. I've been through three sets of living room furniture; each time the cost went up, and the features went down. It's called "shrinkflation"

[today.com]

But to answer your question; yes - it does feel good to fix stuff!

Awesome story have a sleeper in living room

I take pride in fixing things, but so far the size of my dish rags haven't bothered me. I have cut down some of my kitchen sponges though. I've got a few plumbing issues on my honey do list - unfortunately I'm my own honey - and a bit of a procrastinator. So, I look forward to feeling really good about replacing my disposal and ice maker one of these days!

You are inspirational.

There, done, I've affixed a prefix to fix.

Everything except PLUMBING...I am TERRIBLE at plumbing. As a result of being terrible at it...I HATE PLUMBING and avoid it like the Plague😂. I can fix pretty much anything else if I have the proper tools...unless I can McGyver it...that works also...Building things from scratch or improving a design has always been a passion(working R&D was that one job I "looked forward to going to" ). If I can gather the resources I am going to try my hand at building a small sailboat...thank you "Tally Ho" and "Salt and Tar"...found this end table on the side of the road and stripped it, painted it and did this 3D design on it...😁

That looks cool!!

P.S. I feel the same way about electrical as you do about plumbing.

@KKGator electrical and wood are my forte...tell you what...trade you plumbing for woodwork...

Yep. Fixing to go to bed.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

First of all, well done you!

I love being able to fix stuff for myself.
It gives me a tremendous feeling of accomplishment.
This week, fixed the right door on a cabinet I was gifted.
The holes for the hinges had become too warn down. So I rooted through my toolbox until I found 6 screws of the same thread size, which were a good bit longer. The hardest part was getting my glasses perched just right to see through the bottom (where the bifocal part is), holding the magnifying glass in one hand, the screwdriver in the other, and balancing the door on my leg to line up the hinges just right.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new showerhead. That was easy compared to the hinges.

@KKGator

Thank you.

Well done! Amazing job:

"The hardest part was getting my glasses perched just right to see through the bottom (where the bifocal part is), holding the magnifying glass in one hand, the screwdriver in the other, and balancing the door on my leg to line up the hinges just right."

That's incredible. Proud of you. Yay!

Definitely feeling of satisfaction….but best to know your limitations.

For me a couch has to be big enough to sleep on. Every once in a while one gets sick and does not want to keep the other awake. Also, I make things for a living, furniture, homes and everything that goes into them. It is fun and interesting. And one has to know how to fix their messups. I have one waiting for me at work, Monday morning.

@dalefvictor

Good point. My love seat is big enough to sleep on.

@LiterateHiker big enough for a mini like you.😂 some of us need that extra 2 feet…

@Canndue

You're right. I insist guests sleep in my bed.

@LiterateHiker wow, you’re up late

@Canndue

I live in Washington, darling. Pacific Coast time.

@LiterateHiker guess I’m up too late, adding instead of subtracting, guess I should borrow your bed

My girlfriend and I are moving into a new house two weeks from now. We had the keys two weeks ago and we took two weeks of vacation to work on the house. Removing some old ugly wallpaper, fixing and improving stuff, painting, cleaning up. Fortunately we had plenty of help.

Yes! It does. However there's always procrastination and anxiety before beginning the project

twill Level 7 Aug 6, 2021

Nice job with the washcloths.

Does fixing things make me feel good? Usually. Occasionally self imposed projects such as mending dress shirts and pants and re-purposing them for every-day is, sitting behind a sewing machine, a nice distraction but does not make me feel "good" as the end product is less then the value of the time invested. Fixing appliances, automotive, furniture and electronics is usually rewarding.

Ingenious

@bobwjr

Thank you so much!

I grew up in Africa, where everybody fixed things - new ones were hard to obtain.

Yes, it makes me feel great when I fix something and it stays fixed.

by the time they're done with their super sized meals, they need the bigger couch! I make and fix everything myself for the most part. Or at least know how to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.