Agnostic.com

4 3

"Reddit Conversation between Plymouth Shooter Jake Davison and a Teenage Girl"

[reddit.com]

"A new terror threat? How Plymouth shooter delved into violent ‘incel’ subculture before massacre"

[independent.co.uk]

Convinced that his 23 year old life was over, this young man killed 4 people today including a 3 year old baby in his final frustration with being a virgin. Needless to say, these people are in dire need of psychiatric help. Their deranged and mysogynistic online communities have grown at an alarming rate, riddled with insanely toxic ideologies such as the "Alpha/Beta Male" and "Color Pill" concepts fueling their warped and distorted beliefs.

What are your thoughts on this burgeoning "Incel" subculture, and their idea that the societal norms of courting and romance are so superficial that it inhibits them from sex and companionship? Even to such extremes that they feel entitled to affection (by force if necessary) in what they perceive as a basic human need? Have we dropped the ball on being proactive when these people clearly give signs that their distress is approaching violence? Should social media platforms bear the brunt responsibility of monitoring their content?

summatyme 7 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[Last paragraph is the TL;DR explanation/advice]

Had always suspected my 1st cousin could be an Incel in the making. He exhibited certain behavioural traits of this type of persona mentioned in the news on this matter i found troubling. Feeling I was the only person who'd call on him to do things, many moons ago, when i was part of a billiard league, I decided to invite him to join as an effort to get him more socialized other than only hanging out with me. Him and I are total polar opposites, this was made evident over time, as he started acting out amongst other pool league members, and they would ask me, "are you sure you're both related?"

The pandemic didn't help his situation much, because he lives with his parents (age 46), he's an only child, his mother has basically turned him into a Mr. Belvedere, he hasn't lived on his own (other than university) I don't think he has a job, i've NEVER seen him with a girlfriend nor on a date, however has told me stories which are always highly embellished.

There were many times while hanging out with him, I could have called out all his B.S., but I know in doing that, it would set him off, so I tried to be an ear, and listen to him and tailoring replies and conversations in an epistemological way. Ironically, he was raised an atheist, but converted into a 'believer.' (long story about that)

From my observations, I could tell how he talked, the subtext of what he was saying, was that he wanted/strived to be independent, but had little to no foundation or history growing up having a single job.

I'm no expert or psychologist, but my only advice is if you feel or sense someone exhibits these incel-esque behaviors, getting them to talk, hearing them out, conversing in a non-confrontational way helps them alleviate anything they have bottled up inside. If they have no person to confine in, no hobbies, or outlets, i can only imagine these frustrations may compound over time, expressed in unhealthy ways or dangerous avenues.

Mental health and care of mental health still have a long way to go in Western culture. I see social media as being only one part of that issue. Other parts include attitudes to sex, misogyny and psychopathy.

i wonder if western culture is not anathema to mental health, myself

Precisely why prostitution should be legal.
Sexually frustrated men are dangerous, and many will not get laid any other way, they just don't have the personality for it.
In a few years Chinese men will be terrifying China because the one couple one child rule that had Chinese women aborting their daughters in hopes they might later have what's more valuable in their minds a boy child.
That means that China is going to be full of horny men with no women to choose from, and as we've seen that's bad news for everyone else in their society.

There's a take I hadn't considered. A rather distracting condition that will need some attention.

would a hooker be cheaper and more effective than therapy?!!

No. The issue must first be acknowledged for what it is (a serious mental health issue) by the individual concerned and by the people around the individual (family in this case) before therapy becomes a possibility.

More effective, I'd bet, but it would need to be a steady diet of them. I learned to deal with being horny and alone long ago but understand that frustration. Especially when it seemed far worse boys seemed to be acceptable so WTF? Very frustrating time but those of good character get through it. I'm unsure there's a solution, however. Maybe more Counseling Centers for minors and other major societal adjustments?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:615704
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.