Agnostic.com

4 1

Certainly been my observation. Research Proves It: There’s No Such Thing as Noblesse Oblige: [theatlantic.com]

Druvius 8 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Matches my observations of the rich in what is publicly reported. In my personal life, I have only been familiar with one person who was really rich, a guy that owned a business I used to work for. He was worth 78 million, allegedly. His behavior was sort of twisted, as he would pinch pennies in most ways on how most of his employees were treated, such as the plant having no air conditioning for the factory floor, and barely any heat for the same during the winter, while some of them got treated really well financially, and the office employees had climate control year around. He also went thru the motions every year of having a ceremony every holiday season where all the employees would be gathered together for him to hand out gifts to them on that one day, things like a Wal-Mart gift card for a couple hundred dollars or so. Big fucking deal. I think it allowed him to think he was some kind of generous business owner, but it always struck me as something straight out of Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol.

He also was reported to spend way more money on political contributions to the Repub Party than he ever spend on his gifts to employees...

There are true philanthropists. Thoughtful benefactors. Mackenzie Scott is definitely a good person. Most super wealthy are greedy pigs whose only motivation is more money for themselves. Eat the Rich.

Carnegie spent about a billion modern dollars on libraries etc, but he was an exception.

Noblesse Oblige is the mirage marketed by the wealthy to deflect anger. If it exists at all, it is an anomaly and provided out of chump change.

The absence of Noblesse Oblige should be a ticket to the annual lottery where 10 of the top billionaires get, somewhat randomly, their just desserts.

Warren Buffett comes to mind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616102
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.