Agnostic.com

7 6

I am an atheist and an existential. Being an atheist simply means that I do not believe in any god or theology -- nothing more or less. I an an existential in that I believe that he reality is that we exist due to a happenstance of nature and that life has no inherent meaning.

I also agree with the existential premise that we are responsible for our choices, decisions and actions, as in all cases we could have chosen otherwise. Acting on that premise constitutes the basis for my concept of morality. ,

Given that I believe that it immoral to communicate with others of different political and/or religious beliefs in a manner which needlessly provokes fear or anger by being senselessly uncivil, condescending, aggressive, and/or vulgar in communications with them. We can discuss issues by using facts, reason or logic. If they resort to irrational and/or aggressive behavior, we ca simply point out to them that their behavior is immoral and contradictory to their purposed beliefs.

wordywalt 9 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You seem to be overly obsessed with which labels fits you best.

Remember Socrates's directive: "Know yourself." Only when a person really understands who and what he or she is, is that person in any real control of his aor her life. I knowe who and what i am., and am sa content with that.

Further, I was simply using those labels to explain some of my beliefs and tsome of the stances I take. You seerm to have not understood that.

@wordywalt the Popeye approach. “I am what I am”

@Canndue At this late stage of my life, Yes -- except that My stances and who and what I am are backed by much reflectionk, reasoning, and experience.

Where do you derive your morality from?

What is moral is obvious to the most casual observer.

It comes from the choices I make and my responsibility for my choices.

This week there is a 2-for-1 deal at the Dollar store

I believe that life has the meaning we bring to it. As for pointing out anything about the behavior of others, my observation is that few want to hear it, so now I simply absent myself from their company, if I find it untenable. How YOU choose to run your life is up to you.

I'm just sitting here on a fence, I have great balance.

I consider myself a naturalistic nihilist. Nothing I or anyone does really matters on a cosmic scale, whether if you give everything to help others in need or cause a global genocide. Both have zero impact on the universe as a whole. To elaborate, I do have morals and believe in being a good person but I just realize it's irrelevant in the bigger picture.

Tejas Level 8 Aug 15, 2021

I did not nd would not say that we should give e verything to help others.

I believe you’re too concerned with your identity which I as a trans-woman can certainly relate to but sometimes your post are strenuous the way scripture is strenuous. Like all your sticking points are associated with Christian sticking points. Just embrace your inner ape and like what you like and stop writing a personal contract that you’re doomed to break later because you are infinitely more than these petty definitions. Those failures make great arguments to drain your resolve for success. It’s not magic it’s psychology and most battles are won or lost long before the armies clash.
“I don’t believe” it is all I need, every point I add is a link in the psychic chains that hold me back.

"you got ta serve somebody"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.