Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK We're losing our religion...but where do we go from here? - The Big Smoke

This article refers to Australia, but I think has broader relevance.

My problem here is, first, articles like this over estimate the social bonding and glueing that religions and churches have played in society. Yes, some of that is true, but religions have always been laregely filled by notional believers, who turn up at church and say the right words, and then spend the rest of the week ignoring religion. Movies and religious people like to mythologise about religions in the past and the socially cohesive role they used to play, but I'm a skeptic. Yes, a lot of people used to go through the motions, and now they don't bother because religion no longer has the respect that it didn't deserve anyway in the past.

Second, atheism isn't, or anyway shouldn't just be, in my view, an opposition to religion, in particular Christianity, as suggested in the article. For many atheists, including myself, atheism involves a value system that includes science, applied ethically, social and economic equality, humanism values ( though the term humanism is so bandied around these days I'm wary of it now) and the social contract -- people having individual freedoms but responsibilities to the social group -- a welcome departure from the selfish toxic individualism fostered by right wing ideologies over past decides, often with the support of their corrupt religious allies.

The author says, "We can only share atheism in the sense that we share a common opposition to Christian views; without religion our atheism becomes an absence of ideology, and voids itself." I profoundly disagree.

The value systems that we have in increasingly non religious secular societies is an interesting subject I think.

David1955 8 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A post like this shows what ag.com can be when its best minds gather around the campfire. To a large degree this religion roasting is surely called for. But not endless, constant, "fish in a barrel" shooting religion roasting. Yes its fun, not reason enough for whats going on here. Religion roasting to the exclusion of the much more imminently world threatening issues , issues deeply entrenched, protected by their own self generated taboos, in fact real world mortally dangerous to many who have dared to even vaguely cross them . As far as i can see. none of you dares to honestly touch these issues. For those of you asleep to the earlier pleadings of this particular outcast, im talking about black lives matter, 99% of its associates, and its handmaiden, feminism. There is much rational criticism to be made of these 2 rampant beast movements. Its criticism much more relevant to the worlds need, and its unrelated to the counter insanity of Trump and Q-anon . Maybe Trump and Q-anon are whats forcing y'all to shy away from your duty here. But its time for all of you collectively to "man up" and get your asses in gear. ..... To quote a friend of one of you overlords here: " Atheism is just a way of clearing space for better conversations "

well and cleanly said. i wish you'd find the courage to address the giant
media sacred cow issues of our own day this way. anybody can shoot fish in a barrel.

I've recently entered into SMS conversation with a new local councillor wantining to improve neighbourhood communication & cohesiveness that extends beyond religion, AFL, cricket and acceptance of superiority of fifth generational right to impose their unprogressiveness beliefs on everyone else.
I don't know yet if it will achieve anything.

As the Towers of Religious Delusions crumble and fall, we can start our journey/s forward into the Universe of Knowledge, Sciences, Human Fellowship and Co=operation brushing of dust from the collapsing follies as we stride ahead.

Very poetically and well said.

@David1955 Thank you and much appreciated.

@Triphid I'm pleased that you use the term "follies'. Like Trumpism, communism et al they are follies en masse - collective delusions.

I think we are already seeing the desperate reach of some Churches trying to retain their power.

I have noticed since I reached maturity that each generation seems to have more and more people that reject the dogma of organized religion. Many people now go to church because of the social and familiar aspect they experience. They want to associate with people that they feel and respect as like-minded. The continual exposure of greedy perverted church leaders is creating more and more non-believers among the 50 somethings that I know. In other words, the many choices of modern society help these people create there own core group now and help speed up the adoption of a humanist outlook.

I agree that humanism and atheism are quite different but for some people things have to happen in steps.

The increasing secularism of the young scares them mightily. I do not think the impotence of religion during COVID and the positive role of science has helped them either.

Atheism does not void itself. It makes necessary what religion had pretended: science, et cetera

All atheism is, is a lack of belief in gods. Anything else is you being a secular humanist.

In a sense that's true. Atheists are diverse as any group is. However, there are often values that underpin an atheist's view, like mine stated in the post. It doesn't automatically follow, but the trends are there. Research on atheists shows this.

@David1955 Have to agree with @xenoview. It is not fair to assign values to atheism beyond its definition. That is not to say they are not there, or even preferred, but they are not driven by the atheism itself.

@Canndue agree with you and @xenoview

You cannot lump personal values to atheism as it has no values outside of proven science and the disbelief in fairy tales.

@redhog @Canndue @xenoview the philosophical point you make is true, but my point in that in the real world, as the stats show, many atheists hold progressive values and politics. Look at the political and social and economic views of many atheists on this site, for example. A few years back the "Atheism+" movement sought to foster this trend. It didn't succeed all that well as people didn't like the term, but it did recognise the overlap between atheism and progressive values.

@David1955 Atheism is about a lack of belief in any gods. That is all it is. Being a secular humanist is not being an atheist.

@xenoview you are still arguing definitions. I'm not arguing that. I'm talking about social trends in atheism. We are at cross purposes.

@David1955 Atheism doesn't have social trends. Atheism is a lack of belief in any gods. You are trying to turn atheism into a world view, it's not.

@xenoview oh have it your way. I'll just keep reading and researching trends in atheism, which of course don't exist to you.

@David1955 Do you know what an atheist is? Do you know what a secular humanist is?

@xenoview you don't think everyone has maybe a slightly different definition of those terms? I mean, no offense, but i certainly do not agree with yours, and find most atheists to be total believers; just in "no gods." Iow rarely--if ever--agnostic

@bbyrd009 Do you know what an atheist is?

@xenoview well, someone who believes in no gods, imo, as i said? Dunno about "knowing" anything tho fwiw

@David1955 "oh have it your way"

Translation: I've got nothing except my obviously wrong thinking and I'm going to stick by that rather than rethink.

@redhog no, smarty pants, it means we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it there. If you disagree then have it your way and leave it there.
Some people on this site are so disputatious that even trying to exit a dispute results in further dispute. Very disappointing.

@David1955 David, if you re-read my post, you’ll see I agree the traits are there. Our disagreement is the source. I know several atheists that are conservation and even trump like. I think you are seeing groups of them has to do with their initial political slant. Birds of a feather do tend to flock together.

@Canndue David1955 is trying to say Atheism is more that a lack of belief in any gods.

@xenoview yeah, I get that. And agree there is likely correlation, I disagree on the causation.

@Canndue and if you read mine, I wasn't suggesting that all atheists share the same value systems. Even on this site there are crack pot right wing atheists, sadly. I wasn't talking about causality or absolutes, but some patterns and trends. Surely that nuance was clear enough. Look at PEW research and others on atheist characteristics. There are tendencies, that's all, to progressive values. Whether one thinks there is a link between a person's atheism and their values is a matter of opinion. In some cases I think there is. Hopefully that's clear now.

@xenoview you might prefer the term “assumptions?” although ferris bueller maybe ruined that too lol

mildly curious how you square this reticence to admit to any beliefs when you "believe" that aliens exist...

@bbyrd009 I believe there are aliens out there in the universe. I don't know if they can travel in space yet.

@David1955 ........fallacy alarm. .............. atheism follows from rationality, not from this neo hot house "progressivism", an extention of the new left madia putch, being peddled here. actually even the mainstay issues of the bogus new "progressivism" have no more common philosophical roots than roosevelt's new deal coalition. its built not by political theorists but by practical polititians........ to win electoral majorities from the self announced disenfranchised.. it flowers today at the moment of the great non white demographic shift. did the secret agnostic/atheist anti- pope send mr.1955 to ratify it by presegious proclamation? ........disputo contuo torpedo loss!

@David1955, @bbyrd009 ...more "angels -fitted- on the head - of - a - pin " debating! oy guvalt !

@holdenc98 I'll take that as a political comment and opinion.

@bbyrd009, @David1955............ disapointed? maybe its time to retreat to your fortress of solitude and write your memoirs.

@holdenc98 based on your slightly curious take on atheism and politics? Hardly.

@David1955 just below the sdurface.its all abou you having the courage to turn your good mind , for the first time to my knowlege, to the taboo but essential topic of black lives matter and feminism. in the media. im still waiting for word - one. one man's curiousity is another man's lacunae

I agree with you, and would add that, the article also ignores the almost certain direction of religion in the future.

As and intellectual method for understanding the world, religion was superseded twenty five centuries or so ago. When people first noticed it had failed to provide a true description of the world, and they therefore created, first philosophy and then natural philosophy ( a.k.a. science) to address the failings of unregulated culture ( a.k.a. religion).

At that point religion should have died, but it did not, it survived by offering something else, by becoming an alternate voice to the state and the mainstream, especially for those excluded by the state and other secular institutions like medicine and property. As for example, in the Roman world, Christianity prospered by opposing capitalism and fascism, as the dominant world and state views. Then in the Dark Ages by offering an alternative set of humane and altruistic ideals, to oppose violent brutality as the main human cultural norm of the state.

But where does religion go then in the twenty first century, an age when most developed states have embraced humanitarian views and human rights as their flagship ideals. It can only do what it always has, and become the voice of the excluded, which now means, and increasingly means, becoming the institution of the fascist, the racist, the sexist, the violent bully, the fraudulent and the anti-socially. Watch this space, if you think religion is bad now, it will get a lot worse.

Full agreement. Also, I could have added that religion has lost its pull for many people for two reasons -- the increasingly discredited reputation of churches as witnessed by sexual and financial scandals, and second religions don't just fail to explain the world in ways that comfort people, they are increasingly the opposite of where people are in their lives, I mean sexual and lifestyle diversity and so on. Religions are mostly stuck in the past, morally and behaviourally, while populations, especially young, are moving forward. This is where progressive secular values and tolerance should prosper and thrive. I also think that religions will get more desperate and dangerous, fearful of increasing secularism, apatheism amongst the young, declining church attendance and so on. Their response will be to control and thwart where they can, and increasingly this leads to authoritarianism. The author seems to think that religion will die away and, oh dear, what will we replace it with? The real issue is, how to we struggle against the regressive antimodernism of religion so we can move forward? And struggle is exactly the way I see it.

@David1955 As brutal as it may seem, the ignorance enforced by religion raises the level of mortality in its adherents. The "God will protect me from Covid-19" phenomenon is just one example of this. The murder by Catholics of the residents in their "care" homes is a loosely related example.

In terms of what do we need to replace religion with, this raises the question of does it need to be replaced by anything. Social association will continue, with or without religious overtones. The dogma of religion may give way to enlightenments brought by the Scientific Method.

If there is to be a way forward, I see it as gently coaxing people out of the fears imposed upon them by, to put it crudely, God Mobsters.

@anglophone couldn't agree more.

I agree with your disagreement about that author's assertion about atheism and Christianity. To my mind, the author shows a troubling ignorance of the nature of atheism and the nature of deist religions (Are there any non-deist religions?) in general.

Value systems (in the sense that I think you use the term) is a vast arena, of which atheism, epistemology, sociology and religion are only parts, and the issue then becomes one of when, where and how do we draw distinctions between those components parts.

I think the author is right. Dogmatic religion is still the overwhelming choice for Americans and lulls have a way of bringing resurgences. This is only my guess and I'm not going to find out if I'm right or not so, in the end, yawn.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.