Agnostic.com

8 2

Life as we know it.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. With the possibility of life being found on Titan how could that change how the religious behave? I think most religious groups would find a way to weave their god into the life form and attempt to distort the truth.

To me it would be an incredible find. We aren't alone in the universe anymore. Sure it could still be microscopic life, but evolved life none the less. I personally can't wait for the day we find other life forms and are able to study them.

MatthewKemp 3 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They always find a way:

Any discovery that would put the theists out of business would be welcomed.

It depends on the sect, but I can tell you that young earth creationists are busy turning themselves into young universe creationists. Which, when you think of it, is inevitable.

I was debating one of those guys on their own site once and made the offhand remark that we might find life on other worlds and he went ballistic. I never thought this would be a particular problem for them since the Bible doesn't even have a cosmology that contemplates the infinite universe we live in; it saw the heavens (the "firmament" ) as like an inverted dome in the sky, its edges resting on the "foundations of the earth", the stars simply lights attached to it somehow. So the Bible is silent about whether there is extraterrestrial life. The most you can say is that the earth is a special stage on which the drama of redemption plays out.

But this guy was having none of it, he firmly stated that any life found elsewhere in the solar system originated on earth. For some reason this was terribly important to him. They have a theory that the cataclysm of the Flood spewed all sorts of microbial life and organic materials into space and that if any life is found elsewhere it would have come from this in a sort of interplanetary panspermia.

Since then I've noted them talking about the telemetry coming back from Pluto and comets and claiming that the organic molecules on these are from Earth -- despite that for example the period of many bodies that visit the inner solar system is so great that they would be visiting the environs of earth for the first time in thousands of years, and so would be highly unlikely to be bearing these materials from earth (to put it charitably).

One thing the Bible does do is say that god created the heavens and so if these events happened 6 to 10 thousand years ago, the entire universe has to be young and created with "apparent age" or some such nonsense.

the film Paul says it all

We know that material transfer from Mars to Earth has happened. It can therefore be credibly argued that material transfer between any two bodies of the Solar System can happen. If mircobial life is found anywhere in the system beyond Earth, the next question will be, did it originate on Earth and transfer beyond, or the other way around? Hopefully, genetics and other analysis will have answers if we are in this situation. Another possibility is that we find exraterrestail life clearly different genetically from anything on Earth. That would strongly suggest multiple starting points for life and would be pretty strong stuff for knocking us off center stage in God's mind, by which I mean our opinion of ourselves.

Yes, the issue for fundamentalists is that humans are god's special lab experiment, unique in all of creation, and the earth is surrounded by "a great cloud of [celestial] witnesses" beholding the drama of sin and redemption, god's allegedly genius plan to finally obtain the unchallenged primacy that he craves.

Gracious!
Watch the documentary "Unacknowledged," seen on Netflix and YouTube, with videos of US presidents, leaders, astronauts, NSA agents, and scientists talking about the US involvment with aliens and using alien technology since WW ll, but keeping it classified to avoid sharing the technology.
Plus I've seen countless UFOs since childhood, usually with one or more witnesses, even crowds, yet the US govnernment works too hard to suppress all UFO reports and stories to be trusted.

It won't change a thing. The religious types will explain it all away. Think about it: the stars in the sky, some millions of liht years away, refute the creationist idea that the entire univese is ubder 10,000 years old. If they can explain that away, life on other planets would be a snap.

They will figure out a way to make it fit with their beliefs. Maybe Ken Ham will make a Titan Ark?

JK666 Level 7 Apr 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.