Agnostic.com

5 22

Rooster Comb Fire was 100% contained by 1:00 p.m. today.

Last Sunday, five Forest Service airplanes were flying over my home after dumping water and fire retardant on the Rooster Comb Fire. They worked hard knocking down the fire. Washington State quickly sent the planes and helicopters to Wenatchee.

The pilots beautifully coordinated their flight plans. They flew in a line to the Columbia River to scoop up water. Zoomed back to the fire. They skillfully wove in and out, dropping water on the blaze. One plane spread washes of red fire retardant. It was like watching ballet.

Meanwhile, I scurried around packing to evacuate. Didn't have to leave because the pilots did such an incredible job. Due to the intense air attack, only 88 acres were burned.

"Those little Torpedo planes were amazing to watch!" a friend said. Mesmerized, he watched the air attack from his house in East Wenatchee.

Thank you, pilots and firefighters! I love you!

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your headline is surreal. What happened to the poor cockerel

@Moravian

What on earth are you talking about? The headline is fine.

The fire was named after a nearby cliff. It's called "Rooster Comb" because it looks like one.

I don't have any pets. Certainly not a loud, obnoxious rooster.

Incredible job here. 🙂

Good to hear the fire is out.

@xenoview

The fire is 100% contained, not totally extinguished.

This means fire lines are dug completely around the fire, and are holding. An asphalt road was used as one fire line.

Modern technology is amazing. Glad you are safe and didn't have to bug out.

Wish the firefighters here in California could get more of our fires under control. The air is not good up here from all the fires. So glad your state is getting it under control! 😉

@Redheadedgammy

Three happy reasons why the fire was put out so quickly:

1. Columbia River was close to the fire. See photo #3.

2. WA State quickly got the pilots, planes and helicopters to Wenatchee. From Seattle, it's a 30-minute flight over the Cascade Mountains.

3. A Type-3 incident management team arrived in Wenatchee overnight and took over command of the fire. Fire growth Sunday night was minimal. Crews continued work on securing the fire line and used air support as needed.

@LiterateHiker All the firefighters are doing a fantastic job. There are just too many big fires here in terrain that is hard to maneuver through. I wish we would get some rain. We haven’t had a drop since early March, NOT ONE DROP…. ☹️

@Redheadedgammy

You have my sympathy. Wildfire smoke is miserable and extremely unhealthy.

Like California, Eastern WA has had an extended heat wave and drought. Climate crisis.

Three weeks ago, Wenatchee got a pounding rainstorm that lasted 10 minutes. The storm brought lightning that started new fires.

@LiterateHiker how horrible! You get some rain but with lightning to start more fires! Eeeee gads when will this end? It’s so disheartening to see all the fire damage over so much of the West Coast!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.