Agnostic.com

13 14

Online dating: would you meet a grouchy looking person?

Every man I met with closed-lip photos was hiding bad teeth. Ugh. I can't imagine kissing that. What's with male scowling pics? Looks like he wants to punch the camera person. Yikes! Stay away.

If you look happy in your photos, people see you as a fun person they will enjoy being around.

"Please give me a shot, I think you’ll be happy that you did," wrote an unsmiling local dude. I bit. We talked for ten minutes. He launched into complaints. I refuse to be around a negative person.

"I don't think we make a good match," I replied and ended the call. Shortly after, he wrote calling me "cranky." (That's called projection.) "Liberals!" he concluded.
My reply:

"That was mean. You were no fun on the phone. You led off by complaining about your father, your hernias and chlorine in pools. You don't know any bicycle trails in this area? Look it up!

"Since you are a Republican, we are not a good match. I wrote in my profile, "If you are a Trump supporter, hit the back button NOW."

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was on a few dating sites a couple of years ago. (I don't include this site as a dating site since the only people I meet here and make a connection to live too far away). I got phished a lot and met a lot of conspiracy believers. One that I spoke to on the phone told me that we never really landed on the moon and the earth is flat. I met one guy who ended up shooting up his neighborhood and was found too incompetent to stand trial. Honestly, I only met one guy that I actually liked, but we only went out a few times. Distance seemed to be the factor there. My point is, a lot of people who are on dating sites are there out of desperation. And you really cannot tell if you like someone by their profile. I try to be honest in my profile, mentioning that I am an atheist and I use medical marijuana. Both of those things can get a really bad reaction.

Hopefully you will find a non-troll someday...keep looking...or not...either way..."Just keep swimming...just keep swimming"🤗

You did the right thing. As for me, I'm not grumpy. I do complain but it is usually about those who complain or think something special is owed to them. Not negative here but just a realist.

I have caught myself complaining a lot lately. People who protest masks or vaccines and people who drive stupid generally get my negative attention. I also complain about the health care system because I am not getting adequate care for a troubling health care issue. But I try to see things from the point of view of the person who has to listen to me and temper it a little with some positive comments. But really, lately I have to work on anger issues. 🙂

I'm whimsically grumpy. 😀

@Charles1971

"Whimsically grumpy" is an oxymoron. It's like "cruel kindness."

@LiterateHiker I beg to differ. There are plenty of examples of fun characters that are also grouchy... Grumpy the Dwarf, Moe from The Simpsons, Statler and Waldorf from The Muppets, Dr. House, Fred Sandford, and of course Oscar the Grouch. 😀

@Charles1971

Are you a professional comedian?

@LiterateHiker Why do you ask? Do I look funny? 😁

@Charles1971

You are missing the point. I don't want to be around a negative person.

I dumped a friend because she was constantly complaining and playing victim: "poor me." It was draining to be around her.

@LiterateHiker Sorry... I will abstain from attempting levity in any future replies to you.

Well, even though in most photos I MAY look kind f "grouchy" in actuality I'm not what you think you may see.
I'm just of those people who are so often lost in thought/thoughts and have such things running through their minds almost 24/7.

@Triphid

What matters more than anything when it comes to your online dating profile? One word: Photos. Photos can drastically increase your chances of getting more communication and dates. Or not.

You have 3 seconds to make a good impression. People will see your main photo as a tiny pic the size of a saltine cracker on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on.

A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. People want to see your eyes and smile.

Every picture sends a message, whether intended or not.

this is ridiculous

i think it is crap

@HeAdAkE

Says the man without a picture of his face.

People….

I'm not sure I come across as grouchy? Call it BS if you want to but I have really bad TMJ. I can't open my mouth very wide at all. Way back before I became a vegetarian I had to flatten out a Whopper just to take a bite.

Why is that relevant? Because it makes it really hard to smile in any way that shows my top teeth. So, I have a really difficult time forcing a smile for a selfie. Usually I have to get a friend to tell a bunch of stupid jokes before we can catch one good image where you can see my full smile. The only way to fix my TMJ is to have my jaw broken in four places and wired shut... so that's a no-go.

I haven't had a lot of luck on the dating apps. Now I'm actually considering hiring a photographer for my photos.

I'm not sure what else to do about it. I'm actually a very friendly and engaging conversationalist in real life.

@EntheogenFan

Sorry for your pain and troubles. A professional photographer is a good idea. It's a great idea to get a friend telling funny jokes.

A photographer suggested "Turn your back to the camera, swing around, lean forward and grin." This adds energy to photos. Like this:

@LiterateHiker Thank you. This definitely gives me something to work with.

@EntheogenFan

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, my sunglasses swung around and cupped my breast.

But it's a good picture of my face, so I let it pass.

Ahh, trumptards. They never seem to be able to read with any kind of understanding or comprehension, that is if they can read at all.

Well, I guess making it to a second date is a major accomplishment.

Any decent dude is going to research your interests and your personality before making even the first contact, and then start asking you engaging questions about what appear to be your pleasures in life (and I don't mean sex for just this once!).

I agree re: smiles in pictures, and grouchy people. I think it is poor form when first getting to know someone to launch a series of complaints. I look for people who are happy, and optimistic about the future. You are to be commended for sticking to your high standards. Settling....is settling.

And no, no Trumpsters, ever.

I admire you for your tenacity. I totally believe some people just don't read, or pay attention to what they read. That was a waste of your time and his. I think your time is more valuable, he sounds like he's just taking up space until he shuffles off this mortal coil.

An alternative word for such people is "oxygen thief".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.