Agnostic.com

15 15

"Distance is nothing when hearts are touched," a New York man wrote.

My reply:

"Don't be ridiculous. What's your plan? Fly to Wenatchee, Washington State every two weeks to get to know each other? I didn't think so.

"Just because you are attracted to me doesn't mean it's mutual."

The second point is important. I am sick of men who think because they are attracted to me, I should be attracted to them. A hard-on is not a magnet.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"A hard on is not a magnet." I love that response.

Also, distance is problematic. The reasons it's problematic are obvious.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 15, 2021

"A hard on is not a magnet" STOP RIGHT THERE !

twill Level 7 Sep 9, 2021

Distance is a problem, assuming you are all attracted to each other. I have fantasy planned meeting with ladies around the world, but have to settle into the reality of lots of money and time would spent meeting up for the first time.
Then assuming I traverse the great Atlantic ocean to say the USA, and the lady really is who she says she is and not some fat balding forty something bloke living in his mother's basement in Seattle. What then?
What if we click and fall for each other? I doubt the USA would welcome me in with open arms as a British citizen without much wealth to my name. Our system in the UK is a little more hopeful, but it would be up to me to support her.
And what if it is one sided?
So, distance is less of a problem if you have cash.

I think it IS possible to begin to build a relationship long distance, especially since we have FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, and Zoom. But there absolutely MUST be a mutual attraction.

That sounds like a cheesy woo statement. In this day and age, I'd go for convenience and similar activities and interests... I live on a small island and even when my suitors were living 45 minutes away by car (25-40 miles per hour on our highway most of the way) it was too far, unless I was preferring to keep them away from stopping by on a moment's notice.

I'd like to find someone who enjoys going to the same places I like and doing the same kinds of things I like. If they live too far away, they'd have to pack an overnight bag and would likely overstay their welcome! That's my feeling on long distance romance at this time of my life.

I think you likely missed out on hooking up with your soul mate!?🙃

You could be a sport and meet him halfway...maybe Omaha 😂😂😂 have a great dinner...at Dairy Queen. Maybe spend a romantic evening...cow tipping. Just think of all the wonderful possibilities...

A lot if us have ageing parents and various other responsibilities we can't leave behind

he is living in a fantasy world all his own, and reality isn't anywhere to be found.

@MrDragon

He thought his first message, "Hello, gorgeous!" would make me swoon.

My last message:

"Your unsmiling photos look like you are hiding bad teeth."

Sounds like a scammer

MizJ Level 8 Sep 6, 2021

That was my initial thought, too.

say sure c'mon out, then give them the address of a mental health facility or maybe a denny's or something. a redneck bar?

Sorry. Ha, ha, ha. Even every two weeks seems sparse to me,. 🙂

Trying to execute a long distance relationship like that in both space and time looks to me somewhere between booty call and stalking.
Unless that's what you're looking for, there's not much to appeal. Ha, ha again. 🙂

He sounds too casual and a bit desperate. If that's his best pitch he'll turn out to be a loser in the end.😂

I'm pretty flexible. I think I could relocate for the right situation or person.

Definitely makes it difficult if not impossible

Long distance does NOT work most of the time. And moving just sucks, I've done it often enough. I don't plan to ever move away from the kids and kidlets. Expecting someone else to move to Nebraska is a pipe dream, just not realistic. Besides the cost and hassle of moving is huge, if there are jobs involved that just magnifies the obstacles. Face time and emails are no substitute for in person interaction. Nope, if I don't meet a local guy there will be no change to my status.

I think at our age we are kind of bound in cement to where we are. I cannot even think of driving past Portland, Oregon, I mean there is a lot of East out there. Newport is a little far to the south, so no further than that. West is interesting and wet, with waves and whales. I could move but there would have to be something worth moving for. At this point, money would not do it unless it was in the Billions, and winning the lottery would not mean I would have to move. I can give it away from here. But no one knows the future, all one can do is make the best of what one has.

@dalefvictor I’m not bound by anything, except climate. If the “right” one was willing to spend six months in two locations, I would gladly do so. I like my winter Yuma dancing. And I hate cold weather.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.