Agnostic.com

34 13

Does anyone do charity or community service with a group not affiliated with religious organizations? I’m having a hard time finding something that fits my views and my goals.

raynorbrit 4 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How about Habitat for Humanity? I'm not sure if there are religious connections, but I haven't heard of any.

I think there are some, but it's probably very low key or soft-pedaled.

Christian housing organization. = habitat for humanity

Hey there, I'm new to this forum, but I've done some charity work in the past that wasn't affiliated with any religious organizations. One thing I did was donate my old car to charity. It was really easy to do, and it felt great knowing that the proceeds were going to a good cause.
I discovered a car donation webpage that made the process super simple. All I had to do was fill out some information about my car, choose a charity to donate to, and they took care of the rest. It was a win-win situation because I got rid of my old car and was able to help out a good cause at the same time.
So, if you're looking for a way to give back without any religious affiliations, I highly recommend looking into car donations. It's a great way to make a difference and help out those in need.

I volunteer for my local food bank. I have to wear ear buds to drown out the useless pratter if teenage girls. I do walk away knowing that I did some good.

WOW! Look at all these ideas! Thanks for asking, raynor! I'm feeling immense pride for all of us!

• If you have a local unitarian church, I don't know much about them, but have been to a few services. In my limited knowledge, perhaps depending on congregation, but I think it's safe to say - they can be accepting of atheists and agnostics and humanists, and may engage in community service in a way you find rewarding (hard to say).

• A local hospital or food bank is a secular thing and may accept some volunteers, I don't know.

• In terms of financial giving, I once gave small amounts to this organization, which was clearly not oriented toward theism.

[foundationbeyondbelief.org]

In addition to the financial giving pathway, I think they may have some dialogue about ways you can volunteer, and they allow some slightly fun voting about how your money is dispensed.

None of this is to claim that I have engaged myself in significant volunteer work, but those are the things that come to mind.

kmaz Level 7 Sep 7, 2021

I am president of a local UU fellowship. No dogma, no sky daddy to believe in and no one pushing their beliefs on you. We just join together in programs of general interest and welcome anybody no matter what their beliefs or non-beliefs are. Also support a great many local charities who help people.

St Jude's childrens hospital .... despite the name, I haven't heard of them recruiting for any religion.

Kiwanis Club.

No, but you certainly have pinpointed why I don’t do any charity work....👀

You could start a group on here? We are a community, many needing weening away from the indoctrination of religion & political partidanship simply in order to obtain meaningful lives for themselves.
Try broadcasting on a non religious station.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.