Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK Judge Hands Prosecutors Heavy Losses at Kyle Rittenhouse Hearing

Assistant District Attorney Thomas C. Binger argued that the defendant is a “teenage vigilante” — and a “violent vigilante” at that. But that was precisely the problem with the state’s evidence, according to Kenosha County Judge Bruce Schroeder.

The government quickly lost two motions to introduce two pieces of evidence outright. The first piece of evidence showed that Rittenhouse attacked a woman who was involved in an altercation with his sister in June 2020. The second showed that Rittenhouse has various affiliations with the far-right Proud Boys organization.

In both instances, the judge ruled that the government’s offered evidence would be far more prejudicial than it was worth.

(I think, at this point, they should be checking the judges bank accounts and group affiliations)

snytiger6 9 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't see Kyle's crime, either. I think Dem's are reaching and he'll be found not guilty. I'm a Dem but think the Party is often outraged at wrong things. Kyle is one of them.

The guy brought an assault weapon across state lines to a protest and shot three people, killing two of them and then escaped back over the state line, and you think he should be found not guilty? Seriously?

The sequence of events is he shot the first person who was protesting on the other side, and then shot the othe5r two who tried to apprehend him and keep him from getting away.. He walked right through the police lines and wasn't stopped, because he was a white, even though he was carrying and assault weapon, and he even spoke to police as he passed by as if nothing had happened at all. Then when he was caught he claimed self defense. Yet he said nothing at all to the police right after it happened.

The guy belongs in jail. If he is found not guilty, then it will be open season on any left wing protestors.

@snytiger6 He went to a protest and armed himself because it was violent. That is self-defense while exercising his free right of speech. The people he shot were threatening him. He had to get back home and carrying a weapon is legal in Ill. What police did, or didn't do, was not Kyle's doing so he bares no responsibility for it. He may belong in jail but this is not the offense which should (or will, I predict) put him in one.

@rainmanjr The shootings took place in WI, where people were protesting the shooting of yet another unarmed black person by police. Rittenhouse at the time was 17, which was too young to legally carry a firearm in either IL or WI. So his possession of a firearm at the protest was illegal. As his mother drove him to and from, she has some legal liability too as she knew he was (illegally) carrying a weapon.

The self defense didn't come into play until after Kyle shot the first guy in the head, and then people were upset and tried to stop him, after he already killed someone. Which means it wasn't self defense so much as tryign to evade capture at that point.

The Rittenhouse affiliation with the Proud Boys, a group known for instigating violence make me think it was likely he fired the first shot that night, which caused the protest to erupt in violence once gunshots were heard. They were after all protesting an unjustified shooting.

@snytiger6 One can travel for protesting. We'll see what the jury says. I'd bet he goes home.

This seems actually correct to me, you try the crime, not the person, in any criminal prceeding.

This will be a kangaroo court for sure.

You bring up a good point at the end.

Prejudicial, as in proving the perp's disposition towards violence?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.