Agnostic.com

96 11

What, in your opinion, is the greatest invention in human history?

Anything from the hand-axe to the quantum computer.

Jnei 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

96 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

CRISPR

writing

The scientific method

Democracy

It's a shame they're not getting enough use.?

yes it really is

Are you all missing the obvious? INDOOR PLUMBING

Piggy backing on that one Bill Nye gave a strong argument for municipal sewer and water systems without which large cities could not exist.

The bidet❣?

The wheel.

Cheese! Could not live without!

The Microwave. Nothing says "I don't feel like cooking, but don't wanna go out." Like nuking some kind of food

The "power grid".

Language

How about Toilet Paper? It would be hell to be using leaves to wipe up.

The time machine (I'm from the future)

ebdb Level 7 Apr 20, 2018

Clearly it is the goat bag you posted before.
Or maybe language. It's kind of a toss-up.

hands down the goat bag...Im kinda a goat expert and inventor, It would actually work quite well!

Religion - what a scam.
I despise religions and religious people, but it certainly has worked out well for them considering history and current state of affairs around the world.

I was going to say this too. Albeit it had a silver lining. Before Freud opened us up to analyzing our human condition, religion as a device served it’s purpose pretty well of keeping the human condition in check. Sometimes our inventions backfire for the worse (heck we’re just seeing this now with YouTube).

Language..

The wheel?

1. Alphabet
  2. Mathematics
  3. Yoga pants

I agree...mostly

1. Yoga pants 98%
  2. Alphabet 1%
  3. Mathmatics 1%

This more properly illistrates importance.

The wheel.

Language/writing/communication, without it, nothing we have would be possible.

Good question. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. I will say that the one that has had the most profound and all encompassing effect on the development of civilization is written language. I'd say it was foundational.

That is an interesting question that I had not thought of until now. I would have to say that the greatest invention ever is the camera and how that morphed into video recordings. Not only do these things further our understanding of history but as a person that has researched the ancestry of over 50+ families - pictures bring it home. It's one thing to visit a cemetery for names and dates - it's quite another to have pictures of these people and how they lived and labored for us over 160+ years ago.

Toilet paper was an excellent replacement for cactus.
P.S. I really did want to give an intellectual response but I'm tired and it's late, so the smart ass just came right out, Please forgive this episode.

Most people used stones or the Sears catalog lol.

@SLBushway Some people experimented with tabloid newspapers but discovered they wiped more on than off.

Toilet paper is dirty. Bidets are better. And those automatic bum sprayers in Korea are the bomb.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.