Agnostic.com

3 0

Should regulations for gene editing for farm breeds be 'relaxed' ?

Gene editing ‘would allow us to create hardier farm breeds’

The biotechnology is comparable to traditional breeding methods and vital to create livestock resistant to disease, droughts and heatwaves, says group

[theguardian.com]

FearlessFly 9 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Been doing this for Forever. Our Holsteins when I was a child were the envy of other farmers for their heavy milk production. Now one ordinary Holstein produces almost as much milk as 6 used to....just in part of my lifetime!

That's great -- selective breeding, but not gene editing

@FearlessFly selective breeding is a safe,relatively cheap, and long-time proven Very effective method of producing what you want & need.
These "new technologies", which required major expertise at a huge price cannot say the same....."shiny & new" is not necessarilyb better, unless you are a magpie..........

I know that I sure as shit am not even remotely qualified to have anything close to an informed opinion about gene-editing.

But, unless there are reasonable reasons to continue the restrictions then I would be in favor of allowing this.

Would you volunteer for (perhaps soon to come) anti-aging gene editing ?

@EarnestEccentric Undo is sort of like time travel in my opinion. There is no going back. Only forward.

@DenoPenno Hawking would disagree :

[businessinsider.com]

[forbes.com]

Anti-aging gene editing? If I could afford it and there was a reasonable level of testing then I would be willing if I thought the results would be worth it.

And most technology has unintended consequences. Internal combustion engines create pollution, the internet allowed the spread of conspiracy theories and misinformation, some people's bodies reject an organ transplant, nuclear reactors can fail, etc. But we can't just go back to huddling in caves because we are afraid of "unintended consequences".

@FearlessFly I get it now. Time travel might involve worm holes but nobody knows anything real about worm holes. Mankind saw the sun appear and disappear and later made a clock so we could get to work on time. It makes sense now that Superman reversed the rotation of the earth to prevent Lois from being killed. Another movie also made the DeLorean famous forever.

@DenoPenno I would love to take a ride in a DeLorean.

@Lorajay . . . don't forget your flux capacitor. 🙂

. . . and if you go more-than 88 mph, take notes and report all when you get back. 😛

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.