Agnostic.com

18 13

Do you think that the younger generation will be able to establish a religion free government in the US before religion is mandated by those who appear to relish that approach?

Paganlyl 6 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm afraid the younger generation don't know or care about politics. If it's not about Twitter or YouTube it doesn't exist for them.

Religion in the U.S. seems to be on a very slow decline but it has its hooks in our government and society pretty deeply. It will take decades more for the older conservative generation who keep pushing religion into our government, schools, and society. We might start seeing a big shift in the next 20 years. Societal change can be agonizingly slow.

The worst threat comes from the religious fascist left. ""Be silent or face our wrath..."" Too many of the young believe the "progressive" shitheads who care nothing for freedom for anyone but themselves.... Narcissists all.

While laws favoring religion may be passed, religion itself is declining. The biggest religious faction is "none".

I think a lot of religious laws beign legislated are a desperate attempt to try to keep religion relevant. I don't think it will work.

Given the current vector and velocity of decline into a vile theocracy propagated by Christian dominionists, I am not confident we, a secular civilization, will survive. The cancer's tentacles run deep.

I am sure that they could not care less about this .

In my opinion the younger generation is not even concerned with the possibility. They avoid everything unless it has to do with the phone or social influencing.

I don’t think religion will be mandated as long as we can keep some semblance of a democratic republic. If our republic falls to an authoritarian regime, then anything goes, and religion will be the least of our problems.

skado Level 9 Oct 3, 2021

Well said!

We’re practically already there.

@CuddyCruiser
We seem to be dreadfully close, and moving steadily in that direction. I will be pleasantly surprised if we don’t lose our democracy under the next Republican administration.

On the contrary, if the republic falls, religion will be our biggest problem....

@skado Republicans are a minority, and by a large margin. You worry is overstated.

@Alienbeing
Gallup says there are only 6% fewer Republicans than Democrats. As recently as 2016 they won a presidential election, and their president did everything in his power to overthrow the government and came damn close to doing it. And their constituency was just fine with that. Once it is accomplished, majorities mean nothing. Voting means nothing.

If it were an isolated incident I wouldn’t be too worried. But it is the continuance of a forty year trend, where the Rs push toward authoritarianism and the Ds hold whatever status quo they inherit, never pushing back.

I’m not predicting it will happen - there are too many variables. But if the trend continues... that’s where it appears to me to be headed. Each Republican president, I think... ‘it can’t get worse than this’. And each new Republican president proves me wrong. I’ve come to expect it.

We are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. Democracy is not the same as liberty. A mob can undercut your rights faster than a dictator ever could

@skado I didn't check, but if Gallup says the difference between Republicans and Democrats is only 6% I question their result. I also wonder what it is 6% of.

Yes Republicans won with Trump, but ONLY because Democrats ran the worst candidate they could find. Hillary was a horrible candidate and the proof of that is she lost to Trump. Her missteps made her a joke.

Next the Religious Right is no longer much of an influence in the Republican party.

Last, the Jan 6th event did not come close to overthrowing anything, no where near close.

@skado, @Heavykevy1985 It is correct that at the Federal level we are not nor ever were nor were ever intended to be a Democracy. The differences between how our Republic operates are vastly differetn than how a Democracy would work.

I don't agree that a mob can undercut rights faster than a dictator.

@Alienbeing
6% was in Dec.2020
In Aug.2021 it was only 1%

[news.gallup.com]

@Alienbeing really? There is no way that 51% of the public cannot trample the 49%? Democracy is mob rule. 20 meth heads wake up in their vomit every morning has the same kind of vote as a doctor or an academician.

@Heavykevy1985 My comment took task with my belief that a mob could not ruin Democracy faster than a dictator. Your reply tells me you didn't understand that.

@skado I see the question was "do you consider youreslf a Republican, Independent, or Democrat". How one considers themself is not the same as how they many have voted.

Since Biden won the popular vote by about 15 million votes it is apparent that the result did not come close to reflecting how voters "considered" themselves. Hence that particualr poll is rather worthless.

@Alienbeing

Alienbeing: "Republicans are a minority, and by a large margin. You worry is overstated."

Gallup says, in Nov.2020 there was 1% difference between self-declared Ds and Rs.

In Aug.2021 that number was still 1%.

If you look at the statistics since 2004 you see that those percentages bounce all around, sometimes favoring one side, sometimes the other. It's essentially a 50/50 split.

There is no comfortable "large margin".

Alienbeing: "Since Biden won the popular vote by about 15 million votes it is apparent that the result did not come close to reflecting how voters "considered" themselves. Hence that particualr poll is rather worthless."

According to the Federal Election Commission, Biden won the popular vote by 7,052,770. Not 15,000,000.
[fec.gov]

That is 4.54% of the total votes the two candidates shared.

So if you want to go by votes instead of by claimed affiliation it's still only four and a half percent - not a "large margin".

But the president isn't chosen by popular vote.

"If the three closest states (Wisconsin, Georgia, and Arizona) had gone for Trump, there would have been a tie of 269 electors for each candidate, causing a contingent election and throwing it to the House of Representatives, where Trump had the advantage. Biden's popular vote margin in those three states totaled around 43,000; this is only 0.03% of the total votes cast, but it would entail changing the margins in each of these states by 0.63% or less."
[en.wikipedia.org]

Less than 1%.

Not a "large margin".

@Alienbeing I did and I see that you are naive enough to think that democracy is not mob rule

@skado You cherry pick polls that support your position.

Frankly I don't consider this topic worth an argument, so believe what you will. However if you beieve the 1/6 event was more than an abberation inspired by Trump, you are looking for a problem.

@skado, @Heavykevy1985 You see nothing. I never said nor even implied that democracy can be mob rule. By simple definition (the majority wins) it is mob rule, but the composition of the mob can and does change.

@Alienbeing
I’m not interested in arguing.
I engage in discussions with people who have views different from mine so I can learn.

It’s natural to be attracted to articles, polls, etc. that support one’s view. It’s not a crime to share them. That’s the value of discussion - that we are exposed to information we might not naturally gravitate toward.

I’m not wedded to a particular ideological perspective (other than aligning my worldview with reality). So I am ready to change my position as soon as I see sufficient, verifiable evidence.

If I have cherry-picked this poll, please help me see the bigger picture by showing me the poll that found a different result.

I don’t have any certainty about what Jan6 means specifically. What I am more confident about is the general direction American politics has taken in the last 40 years. Jan6 would not have been imaginable to Republicans 40 years ago, but is considered acceptable or even necessary by today’s Republicans. That trend shows no signs of slowing or turning around, and whether next year or next decade, if it doesn’t reverse, it will get what it is demanding.

@skado As I said, I don't think the topic is worth discussion.

As respects 1/6, reading anything into that other than a group being mislead by Trump is overestimating the significance of the event.

@Alienbeing
Your opinion has been registered.

@Alienbeing but it is still a mob.

Religion will never be mandated in the us.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 3, 2021

I certainly hope you are right! I remember a bible waving buffoon with many followers!

@Paganlyl to mandate religion, first would be unconstitutional, second would it mandate one religion or all of them. There wouldn't be enough support from the people to accomplish such a goal. Christians are already outnumbered in the US as is

@Tejas My major concern is those who have no regard for laws ie:
Jan. 6th and it's instigator

I would encourage you to research the history of the state of Utah and its shape.

Discrimination in this country would not be what it is if it depended on explicit constitutional mandates.

A lot of blood was shed to give Utah it's near 90° angles. People seem to forget the Mormon church went on a desperate marketing campaign to prove their Jesus was white... AS AN ACT OF SHEER SURVIVAL.

For any form of discrimination to be institutionalized, it only needs to be a norm of process and ambiguous in policy... not an explicit statement of law.

We’re one election away from a theocratic dictatorship.😉

@Paganlyl Criminals have no regard for the law but they don't rule. Your concern in unwarranted.

NO

No, so many of the laws and policy regarding education and media are optimized to protect descrimmatory norms that it is not likely a single generation can overcome such procedural stagnancy.

Millennial parents would have to become an order of magnitude more politically unified and disciplined against America's institutional past for Gen z to even have a practical chance of reinforcing the separation of church and state back to what it was in the 1980s much less better than that

domos Level 7 Oct 3, 2021

It's doubtful and the way things are going there may not be a viable government (or environments) for much longer.

No.

All we need is court case upholding the Constitutional separation of church and state.

But it will have to be enforced!

Don't know. Maybe the number of non religious will continue to grow.

I pray that ti will lol

That is a DAMN good question. It seems the divide continues to widen. But the number of people who admit to being adherents of a religion (in the U.S.) is slowly falling.

I had more hope before misinformation became the norm

@Paganlyl It used to be that whoever had the most money would win. Now, it's who has the most money AND the best propaganda program.

Unfortunately, I do not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.