Agnostic.com

5 1

Are there any other recovering humans here? As in, 12 steps? Friends of Bill and such? I know this is a little problematic being "anonymity" and all but... For an addict the connection to other addicts seems to be the best solution. The 12 step fellowships seem to be the only real current solution but the "God bit" can be entirely overwhelming at times. I think it kills atheist addicts regularly 😟 I surrender my anonymity to this discussion because it is very close to my heart.i have 27 years come January and I attended meetings regularly. I think I am currently writing a book about it.

MichaelPaul 4 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I got in AA, I was somewhat religious, but I already had a hard time believing in the religion of my parents. The "god as you understand him" part in the steps helped me accept AA principles, but over the years my beliefs evolved into G.O.D. simply being an acronym for "group of drunks". I stayed in AA for 25 years, and still consider myself a member even though I'm no longer attending meetings or sponsoring anyone. My group started changing and getting more religious while I was getting less religious until I no longer fit in. I've been sober 28 years, and owe it to my friends in AA.

Welcome. I am also an atheist in long time recovery. For the first 5 yrs I did nothing (re the God thing). After that my sponsor told me to pray every night. I did for 10 yrs and things got better. Then I stopped praying and things continued to get better. I don't believe in some mystical man in the sky. I believe that my "higher power" comes from within me. I too have thought about writing some of the weird things I have heard shared at meetings. I would love to continue this conversation, but not on an open chat room.

Been sporadically working EA. Because of seemingly unending and crushing drama in my life right now and that my work schedule syncs up with meetings better I have been going more regularly. I've posted about how 12-step programs have informed my perspective on other threads. Congrats on the 27 years and there are ways to be a non-believer, non-spiritualist and still go to regular god-filled meetings. If anybody gives me too much crap about my atheism I just quote #3 from 'The Twelve Traditions': "The only requirement for EA membership is a desire to become well emotionally." With you in the struggle.

Thanks for the advice. So far I've found EA fits me best and the meeting I'm going to is pretty good.

Friend of Bill since 2005. I've gotten run out of local meetings recently for not being christian, but, when first getting sober, I had enough church left in me to allow it to work.

Zster Level 8 Dec 2, 2017

I don't know why I find the term "recovering human" so funny, but all I can think of is this:

Me: Hello. My name is Rick, and I'm a human.
Group: Hi, Rick.

In all seriousness, there are secular recovery programs. I think there are even some posts on this site about such programs. But if you do a web search, you can find tons of information. Here's some information on Wikipedia:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Congratulations on your sobriety success!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.