Agnostic.com

12 1

Retreating from The Now

Eckhart Tolle and many of his existential pals advocate living in the now, being fully present, etc. I find The Now disorienting and infuriating given the constant political hypocrisy encasing us. How do you escape The Now?

MyInnerCrone 4 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just watched this long clip featuring Sam Harris. Towards the end of the clip, after he “guides” the audience through a mindfulness training, he is asked a question similar to yours. His answer is that we should consider whether we’re more effective or more honest or more worthy when we “emote” quasar-like. Earlier he acknowledges that we can learn to like discomfort because it may have beneficial effects, like when we work out. To be effective, we must balance our emotional and intellectual responses. I’m reminded of FDR’s December 7, 1941 following the Japanese attack of Pearl Harbor. I can think of other effective responses in times of crisis, but I’ll stop here.

I have to take a break from the Now in the news. I prefer to watch Colbert, Trevor Noa, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers. ..at least thete is some irreverence to it. The now is hiking and enjoying the beauty...being with friends and present enjoying the connection
This is especially important at these divided times.

You can’t escape the now effectively, but you can live in your memories. I believe that’s what they mean.

I don’t.

Was Not The Past like that too?

No escape.
I don't have to deal with reality, it has to deal with me.

Sorry but I don’t understand your question. You mean, how can you enjoy the present? How can you avoid being riled up about “the wickedness about us.” If that’s the question, I would ask you to consider listening to Alan Watts. The short answer is that you can be riled up if you prefer. If pietism doesn’t suit you, if you prefer to confront the wrongs that you see, if you’re more Don Quixote than Sancho Panza, then by all means be true to yourself. But do it well, with flair. With gusto. Eckhart would support you as you do so. His message is that we should be tue to ourselves, that we should do what we choose to do, not what others pick for us to do.

You are right that when the world seems crazy and you have a full plate it can make meditation harder. Focus just on the physical now, your breath or the tip of your nose and if for one second you can do it that’s all there is, do it again... no judgment, it is what it is and nothing more.

I have just disconnected from a "normal" every day life.

But they keep texting me, calling me, emailing me.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Then you have not disconnected.

@jlynn37 well you know, man need to eat!

@GipsyOfNewSpain I understand. Do the best you can and I wish you well.

@jlynn37 Thank You much I do disappear from one scene but show up in another.

By activbely fighting it at every turn. If we do not fight it, we will have to accept it.

I find the Ostrich has that one well covered.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

I will try that too

Go outside and look around

That works unless you live in Lubbock or North Dakota. ?

@Sticks48 then your only hope is to look up

@btroje Only if you can block your peripheral vision. ?

@Sticks48 I live in North Dakota, and it's true.

@Deveno LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63064
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.