Agnostic.com

13 28

LINK To Rescue Two Hikers, Five Sikh Men Used Their Turbans to Create a Rope Ladder | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Normally their religion forbids the removal of turbans in public.

Follow the link to see a video.

The five men were honored by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Just a bit of trivia, Freddy Mercury of the rock band Queen, was born into a Sikh family.

snytiger6 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In such a situation, politics and religions are straight out of the window. Humanity rocks.

Ryo1 Level 8 Oct 30, 2021

That's using your head.

When I was a child, my parent's became a host family to 2 Sikh exchange students from India. One was studying veterinary sciences and the other agricultural sciences at Ohio State University. These 2 men were older than what typical exchange students were; both were married and had families. Sikh men have 5 things there religion requires of them. After a certain age (I don't recall what it was) they aren't supposed to cut their hair or their beards, they are supposed to wear a knife or sabre on their torso, and a bracelet. I can't recall what the last one was. The turban then isn't just part of their traditional costume but served to keep their hair in place on their heads. They also did something to tie their beards in place so they didn't look like Duck Dynasty characters. My dad asked one of these gentlemen how long his hair was since it had been an extremely long time since he had cut it. His response was something like 15 or 16 feet. The Sikhs in the video didn't look like they had the length of my families friend, but then not all young Sikh men decided to keep with this directive. We met some of the other Indian students and several of them said they could be bothered managing such long hair, and others said they could never get their turbans arranged to stay on their head. These students decided to go with American hair styles and to forgo the turban.

I grew my hair long a while back. it got to just below my shoulder blades, but I just got tired of taking care of it.

Inventive good for them

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 29, 2021

I think that’s awesome! I have great respect for my fellow countrymen of Sikh heritage!

Finally reason won out over religion.

Smart move…

Why do you think I have so many Sikh friends? Their overriding philosophy is to help others. Every time there is a catastrophe, Sikhs are at the forefront of those helping. Their temples have 4 doors, facing each cardinal direction, to signify that they help whoever seeks aid, no matter from which direction.
They never preach their religion, either.
Most of them can also drink me under the table!
P.S. Freddy Mercury was from Zanzibar, part of East Africa, where I grew up.

That’s what I call using your head!😊

Thank you for sharing this.

I applaud them. Had nothing to do with race, religion, hair color, etc…….saw someone in need and lent assistance. Though I would imagine the heroes would say they want nothing for what they did, they truly deserve our respect.

Don’t you just love it when common sense prevails?

Great story! 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630936
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.