Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Researchers Are Figuring Out Why Some People Can 'Hear' The Voices of The Dead

This is the kind of article I like about science -- helping to explain things that some people call 'spiritual'.

I have a lowest opinion of people who claim to be mediums and spiritualists. I consider them shysters and grifters and con artists. I still do, but it is interesting to know why some may actually believe that they hear 'voices' and how and why this happens. Add a bit of 'cold reading' skill and a touch of showpersonship and now you have a business, with plenty of gullible and their money.

It's great that science continues to push into the psychology and neuology of religion, demystifying the ignorance many call spiritual.

David1955 8 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some people claim to hear voices of the dead while they cock a deaf one to the voices of the living. As the article mentioned: " Spiritualists tend to report unusual auditory experiences which are positive, start in early life and which they are often able to control."

Seems to me that this could make for a case of selective hearing on the part of those who hear voices from the dead, especially, when you consider that the experiences are claimed to be positive, unlike the voices of the living with whom the spiritualist or medium is often in disagreement with and cannot control. There are no arguments with the dead.

Yes, and since we know they are not actually communicating with the deceased, but actually, I suspect, hooking into a feedback loop in their minds, it's likely that this loop will be something they want to hear -- a kind of audio projection, if you will.

It says. "The Spiritualists on the whole had their first auditory experience young, at an average age of 21.7 years,"

So not at three or four when they start with language, but about the age when Mom and Dad stop saying things like. "You will go to the see the doctor, or you will get a proper job."

These results, the researchers say, suggest that experiencing the 'voices of the dead' is therefore unlikely to be a result of peer pressure, a positive social context, or suggestibility due to belief in the paranormal. Instead, these individuals adopt Spiritualism because it aligns with their experience and is personally meaningful to them.

If that's the case then they are experiencing a phenomena and sought to explain it. Auto-suggestion plays its role for hearing a voice on a recording, and certainly many are hoaxes, but it seems many are acting on a genuine personal experience they have. Scientific research is backing that up so it's kind of rude to dismiss all of them as crooked or cons. Better to rejoice that a deeper understanding may help those honest folks better know themselves. Better understand what's really going on with them and what they can further teach us. My brother was a schizophrenic and I fear pot making me hear voices. I smoke it anyway but those voices don't stop once they start.

Well yes, it's a psychological or neurological reason for explaining these voices and that can be studied, but let's agree they are not talking to the deceased or anything spiritual like that. This is not an unimportant issue. Yes, the shysters who call themselves mediums might include some who actually hear something, but most are tricksters, mostly failed illusionists who find it easier to make a living through ghost whispering than pulling rabbits out of hats. More importantly, religions are riddled with claims ancient and modern by people who talk to or hear things from God, Jesus or Jove or some other godly thing. Christians still believe St Paul got 'visions' from Jesus, and he's one of the most important people in founding that 2,000 year old death cult. The reality of why people claim to hear and see supernatural things is important to explain.

@David1955 Those who are experiencing an honest psychological or neurological reason for hearing voices that others aren't, but otherwise seem able to function so they don't think of themselves as crazy, looked for an explanation and (lacking this research) figured it's the dead. Later when they hear voices it's accepted that it's the dead. Others (largely grieving women, who tend to have been more sensitive to grieving and occult ideas) accepted that answer and sought comfort for their pain or similar experiences with voices. This is all perfectly explainable as peaceful, well meaning, human behavior. They are still under no obligation to accept this answer but, if they do, then they can better get to know themself. That's a very big and honest deal and to simply sluff it all off as a con and ignorant followers is arrogant. To exclaim that "most are tricksters" is a presumption that may or may not be true. Good studies are routinely conducted to discover the mass character of people and we know that, oddly, most are honest. Most think they are of good character and want to be good citizens. Seems a bit odd for such a large percentage of good people to be missing within this field. No? Maybe it's worthwhile to extend the presumption of good intent or stubborn adherence to what is believed as true?

@rainmanjr well if it settles the argument then let me acknowledge that if people who claim to hear such voices are not exploiting this financially, or making claims for any spurious purpose and are just living in their own delusional bubble and not hurting anyone, then fine they are believing what they believe harmlessly. It is a fact however that people who work in the medium 'industry' are often drawn from such people, and my view on those people stands.

@David1955 If they think that they are talented at something why should they not make money from it? I don't mean to beat up on you but I don't understand. They should starve, certainly holding a job becomes harder if they suffer from such conditions, or be homeless to meet your standard of ethics?

@rainmanjr it's fraudulent. Exploiting people, sometimes emotionally vulnerable people.

Try watching this.

@David1955 Try opening your mind and acknowledging how people use their talents/abilities to survive. Even if they are exaggerating those talents whom are they hurting? People who want some comfort from grief? Not like the gypsies are running for office so they don't bother me.

@rainmanjr well clearly you didn't watch the video.

@David1955 I have now and hear Dawkins pressing the point of charlatans rather than addressing the sincere who think they can hear/see the dead but are actually having another type of experience. Derren then addresses what Dawkins keeps steering him into but the tips to look for (charlatans) was interesting. Also, Derren is expressing an opinion about what is ugly and what is ethical. Humans are not an ethical animal, in my view, so I look for degrees of ugly. Having watched my mom deal with a prolonged death of her husband and son I am sympathetic to those looking for comfort of grief. That being said, I do think they are off track. I believe that there is no death so that's what I would use to ease the grief of their love being gone. But then I would suggest lessons of detachment and letting go with the grieved. That seems to me a healthier, and more accurate, course of thought. Humans are happier with self-delusion than Atheists are and I think that should make the Atheist examine what is so repugnant about living an illusion. I think we are all living in an illusion.

@rainmanjr eh gods! Good luck to you. Over and out.

@David1955 Rude. I am not surprised.

Ha, ha. 🙂
What are they going to do? Test young children for acute hearing then track them to see if they pursue fantasies later in life? Good luck. I kind of agree with PondartIncbendog.

From the link:

"But all of those experiences may result more from having certain tendencies or early abilities than from simply believing in the possibility of contacting the dead if one tries hard enough."

I don't really want a job.......

I need a job like theirs. Well lets see, they are stupid..........done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631252
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.