Agnostic.com

15 13

Are you going to Thanksgiving dinner with unvaccinated people?

I am. My only child Claire refuses to get vaccinated. Although she never went to church, she got a religious exemption at work. Darn, I helped her become a good writer.

"You must get a Covid test three days before I arrive," I told her. "Text me the results. I will not start driving to your house until I see a negative test report." Claire is excited to see me. It will just be the two of us.

Ahead of time, I will make our favorite desserts: pumpkin pie and lemon bars. Claire loves lemons. As a child, she ate lemon wedges. Also will make what I call...

Green Potatoes

Scrub potatoes. Butter skins and make shallow slits around middle as if you were cutting the potatoes in half lengthwise. Bake at 400-degrees for about an hour until done, depending on size. Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender crisp and finely chop.

Carefully slice the potatoes in half (the slits make it easier). Add chopped broccoli, milk, grated cheese, salt and black pepper. Mash together until the mixture is pale green with green flecks. Heap into the potato jackets and sprinkle with grated cheese. Return to the oven to heat through, about 15 minutes.

At Claire's house, I will roast a turkey breast. Although Claire is working until 3:30, her job is to make a salad or cut up fresh vegetables. And help with the dishes.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My son and in are invited to a nurses house with a bunch of people there...she runs a pretty tight ship so.i am not to concerned..

No. Actually working and getting well paid. Didn't even plan to do much of anything, but now a friend will be in town from CA getting his house back in shape after his tenants with three little boys and two big dogs vacated.
We will probably do some type of worthy meal, and unlikely to be turkey based.

No! I work in the medical field and I get to work... mask on!
I hope your dinner is delicious

No, everyone will be vaccinated. What reason could you give for a religious exemption or for that matter a medical one?

@Robert_2001

I have no idea.

She is lovely

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 15, 2021

No. All will be vaccinated.

What a beautiful picture of beautiful Claire! I know the two of you will have a delightful day together.

I've taken myself out of the equation this year by having knee replacement surgery the Monday before Thanksgiving, and my daughter will be staying the week with me as caregiver so we, too, will be having a mother-daughter day together. Fortunately she's vaxxed, but I've had my three and would be with her even if she hadn't.

I'm hoping you have very successful knee surgery.

@Lorajay Thank you! I'm anticipating that it will be life changing ... eventually. 😊

I will be having Tday with some of my immediate family and also daughter's boyfriend's family. I know a few of them have had Covid. I hope to Dawg they have all been vaccinated. My kids and their partners and their dad have all been vaccinated. I've had my third, and I'm sure my ex has had his third. Ex may be conservative religious, but the also has a degree in biology and is germ phobic. There may be an announcement this week from my youngest regarding her almost 5 year old not being an only child for much longer... She is going to be at that Tday gathering so I hope all the non immediate family guests are vaccinated. I'd rather see my kid than them.

I am and they’re going to have to endure me giving them shit about it......

No...we're vaccinated, my son, my ex (his dad) and me. Just 3 people, 2 with boosters, one with full 2-shot vaccine.

You’re willingly going when she obviously doesn’t care about you?

@Secretguy

That's a mean thing to say.

Claire and I love each other. Last weekend, she had to get a COVID test to go to a Seahawks football game.

I hope she get tired of taking COVID tests and gets vaccinated.

@LiterateHiker - I know I am generalizing... but I'm pretty sure you would push her out of the way of a speeding train even at your own risk of being hit. It is what parents do. Parents generally protect their children even when they make bad choices... at the same time she would get vaxxed if she really valued your feelings - and generally speaking that is what kids do to show their independence. I did not always value my parents feelings and I know it was disrespectful.

@FrostyJim

I talked myself blue in the face trying to convince Claire to get vaccinated.

"It's my body," she says. "I have control over my own body. You taught me that."

Arguing with Claire just makes her more stubborn.

I can do the dishes!

I'm actually debating whether or not to go. I think only one person may be fully vaccinated.

Part of me doesn't even want to deal with it, and just stay home.

Hope you and Claire have a lovely day.

She beautiful like her mom. You'll enjoy Thanksgiving.

Unity Level 7 Nov 15, 2021

@Unity

Thank you!

Thanksgiving with my boys, fully vaccinated

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 15, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:634061
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.