Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK One Way We Can Know That God Exists

When Catholicism and Cosmology meet... a farce.

Honestly you'd think they would come up with a better argument than the universe exists for a purpose (assumption) and must have a creator (assumption) and that must be God ( unproven assumption, and which god anyway?).

So, god exists for a purpose, therefore god had to be created, and therefore god had a creator, presumably bigger than it. What? Doesn't that follow?

You think these dudes ever read anything on cosmology or quantum mechanics or similar, even for a popular audience? I imagine not. No wonder they hate science.

David1955 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually the supposed dispute with science is just, in many ways, a smoke screen. When they are talking about a creator god, who existed before or outside the universe, they are talking about something beyond science, since science does not claim, (Science being basically, just honesty organized.) to know anything about the, possibly, none existent, realms beyond the universe, or have anything to do with them.

The trick therefore, that they are using, is the old magicians ploy of misdirection. By pretending that science has something to say about that realm beyond the universe, and pretending to disagree with it. They redirect the gaze of the gullible, away from the completely unsupported assumptions they are making about things beyond the known universe, into the phony dispute with science, about big bangs etc. Thereby getting all their wild, evidence free assumptions overlooked.

Good point. An uncritical reading of this text by believers might suggest that he is using some aspect of science or reason to prove God. But he's not. Cut through the faulty premises and deductions and all you have is that he WANTS to believe in his God. I've encountered this with some believers, trying to suggest that science supports their belief. I cut that right down, especially if they try to use 'spooky' quantum physics to support their beliefs and such like. I point out that while I'm not qualified on this, I know what real scientists say, and they don't like the supernaturalization of these fields. Religious people can be very devious, fooling themselves, and trying it on.

That the author of that piece espouses the kalam cosmological argument shows that he incapable of rational thought.

The invisible man

The invisible man who caused everything to happen but needed no causality himself to exist.

@David1955 That sums it well.

Both of the premises are unfounded: 1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
2) The universe began to exist. #1 is wrong because we know that particles pop in and out of existence all the time. #2 is unknown. We assume the Big Bang happened, but how much less why is utterly unknown and can only be guessed at. The Big Bang could have popped into existence the same way that virtual particles do, completely uncaused. We'll never know. What we do know is that the God of the Bible shows no interest in the subtleties of the Universe, discloses none of them, and is utterly wretched when it comes to moral values.

Yes, while not my area of expertise, I have watched enough presentations from Lawrence Krauss and others to know that this guy doesn't have the slightest knowledge of these fields, despite his supposed credentials in his bio at the bottom. Specifically there is never 'nothing' in physics, with, as you say particles popping in and out of existence even in so called 'empty' space. If those of us who are not physicists can take the time to understand some basic knowledge about this subject, surely it's not asking too much of religious people to do the same. All this guy does is display his ignorance, hoping I suppose that believers will swallow it and non believers won't read it. That's dishonest.

It's simply that they believe it so it must be so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:636700
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.